Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mykward Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2003, 03:56 PM
    Uninstall 2nd operating system
    Because my old scanner would not work under XP,I installed ME on the same drive as XP so as to use it. I now have a new scanner and wish to uninstall ME safely.It does not appear on the add/remove facility in Control Panel. Can it be done and how?
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Jun 22, 2003, 07:10 PM
    By this I am assuming you are using a bootloader of sorts to boot XP or ME and that you are also using a program to let you have more than one primary partition? If this is the case, please provide us with as much information about the programs you are using, and your partitions setup.

Hope this helps,
    ~psi42
    bellagio Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2003, 08:14 AM
    Thanks for replying.Thre is only one (primary)partition on the drive,under FAT 32.I simply installed ME in the usual way and it is now ina directory called windows.000.
    Mike Ward
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Jun 23, 2003, 12:15 PM
    Hmm... I think if you installed to the same partition as XP, the installer probably decided to overwrite XP files that had the same name as the ones the installer was using. I can't think of any way to fix this without reinstalling XP.

If you want you can try booting from the XP CD and restoring the bootloader (it should have that capability), but I doubt if this would work. You will probably just end up with an unbootable system. Even if it does work, I don't think you will get very far. If you decide to do this, be sure to have some dos or Linux boot disks available.

If you really want XP back, I suggest you just reformat and start from scratch. :-/

Either way, check out Knoppix, which is a full OS that can run from a CD... with this, even if you can't install windows, you will still have an OS.

Good luck,
    ~psi42

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mac Operating System [ 3 Answers ]

Currently using Mac OS8.6... Is there a download available to OS 9

No Operating System [ 7 Answers ]

I have a IBM 390X laptop, and the computer has successfully completed the hard disk data wiping process. Al Data on the computer is now unrecoverable. The computer is designed for win98, and I have a CD Windows 98 Second Edition. What are the steps I need to take to get this computer working...

Surveys on Operating System [ 12 Answers ]

Hello, This is the first time I am sending a question :-[ Can you suggest me a good website for operating systems used and surveys of different kinds of them like some used in palm top computers, domestic PCs..

View more questions Search