Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    A4Effort Posts: 486, Reputation: 35

May 10, 2009, 08:49 AM
    Body image
    Quick Background info:
    I am a male in his early twenties. I am very active and participate in many sports and activities (biking, hiking, soccer, etc... ) I weigh around 155 lbs and am 5'11" tall.

Problem: I have been battling with body image for a while. I used to weigh ~170+ lbs in high school and was semi-chubby. I realized I did not want to look like this so I started running and eating healthier and got down to ~140 lbs (7% body fat). I felt really good about myself. Now in college I started feeling insecure again because now I do not have large muscles. My body type is average (not skinny). My lower body is very well developed but my arms are just average. I decided to start lifting weights to increase my muscle mass. I started eating again to gain weight so that my body had something to feed off as I worked. I increased my caloric intake, etc... Then school happened and I became overwhelmed with school and my 3 supporting jobs. Now I gain roughly 10+lbs back and haven't stuck with my working out. I am really insecure with how my body looks now even though I do not believe that I am overweight. I feel as if my body image has been affected by the people surrounding me, my own self, and the media. I want to have a bigger upper body and do not want to be in the shape I am in. I also do not want to play into any male stereotypes regarding how a man should look but I also feel very uncomfortable when I see some guy my age/height jacked. I feel as if I need to be his size or bigger.

Can someone set me straight? I am just lost and I want to start feeling good about my body again.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 10, 2009, 09:51 AM

This may or may not help you. I've dated men who were underweight, overweight and just right. They were all confident with themselves and their bodies.

Insecurity is like a flashing light. You have to find some way to take pride in what you are, where you are, and stop worrying about your body image and how you appear to other people.

Now the question is - how? I'll leave that to the experts.
    A4Effort Posts: 486, Reputation: 35

May 10, 2009, 09:57 AM

I feel as if no matter how I look, I will always think I need to look better.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 10, 2009, 10:04 AM

Long story short - had a roommate back in the day in NY. She was always uncomfortable with her looks. She was also drop dead gorgeous, a fairly successful model. Anyway, she went to Mexico to have her butt tightened. I have no idea why and no one in the US would do it.

She aspirated and died on the operating table.

If she had not died she would probably be having plastic surgery several times a year because she had such a poor body image.

I think just about everyone looks at herself/himself and sees areas that could be improved.

You have to focus on the good things, not on the (maybe) bad things.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Body image & Relationships [ 32 Answers ]

IS YOUR PARTNER'S WEIGHT IMPORTANT TO YOU? If so, to what extant? The person I am dating has made some comments about my tummy. It is soft and I am getting back in to the gym. He claimed that I look 4 weeks pregnant by suggesting someone who did not know me may think that... and then he...

Shape of body by reduction of fat from specific part of body [ 1 Answers ]

My age is 20. And I am 6 feet tall. My weight is 80 kg. The main problem is this that there is a lots of fat on my hips and theigh and my west is about 34 overall my lower portion of body is heavier than above. So kindly tell me what should I do to reduce the fat from hip,theigh and how to reduce...

E-mail with image in body [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to send an e-mail to a contact list that will have one central image in the body. I'm working on a mac and was wondering if it would be good to do this with HTML (if so how?) or if it is possible to just send as a jpeg in the text. I use Yahoo mail and Microsoft Entourage for sending and...

Body image issues [ 3 Answers ]

OK I'm 12 and I have seriouse body image issues I think I'm ugly and fat but if I told my friends that they'll say I'm forsurly insane When I look into the miror I see myself fat most of the time or I think I look fat then when I look back on it I looked really skinny well not skinny but in shape I...

Body image [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am hoping you may be able to advise me on my issue. Since having 4 children (3 to first husband and one with current husband)I feel totally embaressed of my body. I have severe stretch marks abd loose skin and my breasts sag. I also have excess weight of around 10 kilos which I am working on...

View more questions Search