Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    uticehockey27 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2009, 07:35 PM
    Sharing Info between tabs in same excel spreadsheet
    Hello,

I have an excel spreadsheet with multiple tabs and want to link my everchanging total sales profit number from my "Sales Tab" to a cell in my "Overhead Tab" so I can subtract all overhead therefore giving me a more realistic profit/loss number anytime I look at it. How do I do it?

Basically I want to avoid having to update the "sales profit" cell in my Overhead Tab since it keeps changing in my Sales Tab. Make sense?

PLEASE HELP! :)

May 9, 2009, 07:38 PM
    Link A1 cell from one tab to A1 in another tab in same spreadsheet
    I want link a sales figure cell from one tab "Sales" to another tab "Overhead" in the same spreadsheet? Help?

May 9, 2009, 07:48 PM
    Links
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Its not necessary to use Word. Basically all you need do, is right click on the cell where you want the hyperlink and select Hyperlink and then follow the instructions from there.

WHEN I DO IT IT JUST SHOWS A LINK. IS THERE ANY WAY TO SHOW THE ACTUAL FIGURE? I want to show the profit figure from my sales tab into an overhead tab.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 9, 2009, 07:54 PM

First its not a good idea to piggyback your question on someone else's. This can lead to confusion. You should start a new thread. So I've moved your question to its own thread.

What are you linking to?
    Zazonker Posts: 126, Reputation: 19
    -

May 9, 2009, 08:00 PM
    To set up a link between any 2 cells, you go to the target cell, type '=" then change tabs (assuming the source cell is on a different tab) click on the source cell.

I hope I understood your problem correctly.

May 9, 2009, 08:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    First its not a good idea to piggyback your question on someone elses. This can lead to confusion. You should start a new thread. So I've moved your question to its own thread.

what are you linking to?
    So sorry. This is my first time to use a Q/A forum. Should I be replying somewhere else then?

My question is:

I want to be able to link and see the total profit sales figure cell from one tab titled "Sales" on a different tab titled "Overhead"... kind of how you can use =SUM(A1,A2) button within the same spreadsheet but within different tabs.

I want to be able to see if Im making money after all expenses every time I imput a new cost in my overhead tab... bottom line number. Make sense? Help...

May 9, 2009, 08:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Zazonker View Post
    To set up a link between any 2 cells, you go to the target cell, type '=" then change tabs (assuming the source cell is on a different tab) click on the source cell.

OMG!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!! THAT WORKS!

JUST FYI TO FUTURE READERS WITH THIS PROBLEM, CLICK ENTER AFTER FOLLOWING Zazonker's Instructions... dont revert back to original Tab... it had me there for a second!! Thank you so much Zazonker! You've made my finances so much easier! :)

May 9, 2009, 08:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by uticehockey27 View Post
    So sorry. This is my first time to use a Q/A forum. Should I be replying somewhere else then?

My question is:

I want to be able to link and see the total profit sales figure cell from one tab titled "Sales" on a diffrent tab titled "Overhead"...kind of how you can use =SUM(A1,A2) button within the same spreadsheet but within diffrent tabs.

I want to be able to see if Im making money after all expenses everytime I imput a new cost in my overhead tab...bottom line number. Make sense? Help.....

Never mind! GOT THE ANSWER: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/spread...et-351836.html

May 9, 2009, 08:24 PM

Thank you Zazonker. This presents me with a different problem. :( haha. Can you help? Now I need to subtract a list of costs (C3-C27) from that figure in that cell you just helped me with. I tried =SUM(D2-C3:C28) but it gave me a #VALUE!
    Zazonker Posts: 126, Reputation: 19
    -

May 9, 2009, 09:02 PM
    Seems like that should be:

=d2 - sum (c3:c28)

Stop and think about it for a minute. If you understand what the sum function does, you'll see why your way couldn't work.

And, all I did, was translate what you told me in words into an expession.

May 9, 2009, 09:15 PM
    Seems like that should be:

=d2 - sum (c3:c28)

Stop and think about it for a minute. If you understand what the sum function does, you'll see why your way couldn't work.

And, all I did, was translate what you told me in words into an expession.
    THANK YOU SO MUCH AGAIN Zazonker!! Im not very good at creating complex formulas, just the basics by clicking on the "Greek Symbol" that creates formulas for addition but using your formula and the other formula from before helped me come up with what I exactly needed: ='SALES'!L7-SUM(C5:C30). Thanks again!
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

May 9, 2009, 11:43 PM

In the sheet that DOESN'T have the data, click on the cell you want the data to appear in.

Press =
    With your mouse, click on the other sheet tab
    Click on the cell with the data you want
    Press ENTER.

You should now have the data appearing that you want. The formula to bring over data from another sheet will, at this point, look something like this:

=Sales!A1
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 10, 2009, 05:25 AM

I'm glad you got your answer. I've merged your threads together since they all deal with the same question. Posting one thread for a question is enough. And yes you post follow up by using the Answer This Question options.

Just another point, the thread that you piggybacked on was a totally different question, that's why I had to ask for more info.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

MS Excel spreadsheet changing numbers [ 4 Answers ]

I have a spreadsheet where I enter credit card numbers, 16 digits. One note, I have the field setup as a custom format, that displays in the custom format as ####-####-####-####. This way it automatically adds the 4 dashes. For some reason, it always changes the last digit to zero. For...

Excel Spreadsheet [ 1 Answers ]

I need a macro or something for a website that has a excel spreadsheet. My client has a excel spreadsheet out on a website. They have invoice # on the excel spreadsheet and want to be able to scan the invoice and have it linked to the invoice on the website so clients can see the scanned document....

LCM Inventory Method using Excel spreadsheet [ 1 Answers ]

I am completely stuck on these formulas for Excel. It's very hard to explain, and I think I might need to email you my spreadsheet (whoever might help me... ). But, I'm confused on relative and absolute formulas. I can't use cell references - only cell/range names, and no arithmetic operators -...

Cannot delete the tabs in my spreadsheet [ 3 Answers ]

I have tried everything to delete three sheets in my workbook. The document lets me do everything with the exception of deleting these three tabs. It is not encrypted or password protected. However, when I attempt to unprotect it, it asks for a password. Help! I have tons of data I need to...

Excel Spreadsheet [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know how I can get an Excel spreadsheet to open at start-up? Thanks!

View more questions Search