Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jessbor Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2009, 06:20 AM
    Time limit for Shoplifting Prosecution in Canada
    Would like to know how long a store can wait to prosecute you after the shoplifiting incident took place.

*The incident* - Suspect was captured on video stealing merchandise, can be easily identified by "A" certain salesperson because suspect spoke to him before theft of small object from national urban retail store. Incident took place 18 months ago.

IS THE SUSPECT STILL CAPABLE OF BEING PROSECUTED AT THIS DATE?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 9, 2009, 06:32 AM

Hello J:

Nahhh. Somebody would be interested in WHY somebody wants to prosecute somebody after a year and half over a stick of gum...

Seems like there's some personal retaliation going on. The cops'll think so too.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 9, 2009, 07:36 AM
    I think the SOL is 12 months but if they did not do it after a few weeks it is not going to happen

Next how do you know they were on video, how do you know there are cameras and if so, do you know they are even real.

Does anyone even review the tapes, how long are the tapes keep, 3 months is about tops for most stores to keep their tapes

****** OP failed to state in this, that it was items of value of @ 600 dollars ( electronics) not a stick of gum
    Jessbor Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2009, 07:42 AM
    When said.. 'could be identified' that is to say if the suspect was seen again in the store. As of this time they don't know who said suspect is, but can easily identify him physically.

As of now the only reason store hasn't laid charges is because they can't track suspect due to his unknown identity. One has to assume that they want to lay charges. But the question still remains.. has the statute of limitations for theft in canada elapsed after 18 months?
    LEGALWIZARD Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2009, 02:56 AM
    If you were charged with theft under $5,000 and the Crown Prosecutor chooses to proceed by way of summary conviction, there is 6 month time limit. If the Crown Prosecutor chooses to proceed by way of indictable offence, there is no limitation period.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In Canada is there a time limit on filing for child support? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a friend that has been separated from his partner for 17 years. They were never legally married and were together for 10 years previous to the split. They had a child who is now 20 (there was never any doubt that he was the father). Throughout the years he has paid for clothing,...

Amount of time to get criminal summon for shoplifting, Canada. [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am in a similar situation. I was caught shoplifting about 7 months ago. No police was called. I signed paper with security guard admitting my guilt. 4 months after the incident, I received and paid the civil demand. But now, I am just wondering when (hopefully not) will I get the crimal...

Shoplifting in canada [ 7 Answers ]

I am a traveller with little money on a working visa in canada and I took a pen from a store and as I was leaving I heard code 88 over the loud speaker. No one approached me and I walked away fine. I have never done anything like this before and I am worried that I will get caught as I have...

Corporate Liability Time Limit for Inactive Company Ontario, Canada [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, For economic reasons (SARS effects on tourism in Toronto, mainly), we stopped operating an incorporated company in Ontario, but have continued to file annual tax returns. We have now decided to dissolve the company. However, at the time of stopping operations, we had several creditors and...

Shoplifting in canada [ 3 Answers ]

I got caught shoplifting at sears and I am facing a court. The total amount was $545 and it was more than 10-15 items. I would like to know what are the charges and the fines and if I am going to have a criminal record. Or if there is any other way so I could make this change. Thanks. p.s. I...

View more questions Search