Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mllucky Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2009, 05:14 AM
    No access to the Internet Explorer
    I have a good connection to my wireless network, and my signal strength is showing excellent, but I can't gain access to Internet Explorer.
    When I try to gain access to I.E. I get a message that indicates that I.E. cannot display the page, and that I have no wireless connection.
    Does anyone know what might be causing this.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 9, 2009, 05:22 AM

Same thinghappened to us.
    First thing that we needed to fix was our house alarm needed to have a filter put on it. We have one that automatically dials fire/police/ambulance so the connections got al jumbled and it said we had no internet.

Second thing that went wrong was that our internet provider gave us the wrong password to our account so we thought we were logging on when we really weren't. (it never came up with password incorrect or anything)
    adam_89 Posts: 1,866, Reputation: 280
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2009, 05:28 AM

Try disconnecting all cables and then hooking them all up again. Maybe you have a bed cable somewhere. Also, I had to rerun my internet explorer disc again to reload it on my computer and that has worked for me.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 9, 2009, 05:53 AM

Try purging your cache
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 9, 2009, 06:22 AM

Hey Scott, we also have wireless... it still plugs into our phone line and that's what we got told to unplug.
    Might have a been a bit of a misunderstanding? :)
    mastermagican Posts: 66, Reputation: 2

May 9, 2009, 06:27 AM

Make sure your wireless coniction like linksky is on and pluged in
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 9, 2009, 06:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Hey Scott, we also have wireless... it still plugs into our phone line and that's what we got told to unplug.
    Might have a been a bit of a misunderstanding? :)
    That's a DSL thing. If the connection is good to the router that shouldn't be necessary. But one way to tell if the problem is the broadband connection or IE is to ping a public site.

From a Command line prompt type:

Ping yahoo.com

If the ping is successful it should look like this:

Pinging yahoo.com [209.131.36.159] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 209.131.36.159: bytes=32 time=87ms TTL=52
    Reply from 209.131.36.159: bytes=32 time=86ms TTL=52
    Reply from 209.131.36.159: bytes=32 time=87ms TTL=52
    Reply from 209.131.36.159: bytes=32 time=88ms TTL=52
    Ping statistics for 209.131.36.159:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 86ms, Maximum = 88ms, Average = 87ms

That will tell you that your connection to the Internet is working. If the ping fails then the problem is at your broadband modem.
    alanmccormack Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2009, 12:57 PM
    Hi, I noticed that, like me, a lot of people were having trouble accessing eBay and, like me, they were having no joy at all fixing their problem. I spent 4 weeks trying every single thing recommended on every single site, all to no avail. Talk about frustration, I was ready to smash the computer against the wall, all those hours wasted! I vowed that when I found out the solution I would post it on every site that I could remember. So, if you see this elsewhere, please forgive me as I am trying to distribute my solution as widely as possible.

First off I emphasise that this is MY solution and it may be totally useless to you, just like all those other suggestions that I followed on other sites didn't fix my problem.

My computer and internet router setup is as follows and I would suggest that my solution is very specific to my configuration and you only read on if your setup is very similar:
    • Dell Dimension 5000 Desktop PC
    • Windows XP Professional SP3
    • McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 7.1
    • Windows Defender
    • Zone Alarm firewall (the free version), MS firewall is disabled
    • TP-LINK TL-WN350G wireless pci adapter (network card for PC).
    • Netgear DG834Gv5 router modem. Both are running the very latest firmware.
    • I am in Ireland using ADSL over an Eircom phone line, although UTV is the provider.

My issue was that I could not access eBay and a number of other web sites, especially those that featured lots of Flash, played a movie clip or were content rich. There did not appear to be any rhyme or reason why I couldn't access specific sites, but it was always consistent, I could never ever get to eBay no matter what I did, but I could always get to the likes of Google, Facebook, and YouTube. The problem existed on both Google Chrome and IE8 so it wasn't browser specific. Don't ask me why eBay I don't know, but I tried the following (listed here in no particular order):

• Updated Anti-Virus Software (McAfee Virus Scan) – Always updated daily anyway
    • Updated Anti Malware software (Windows Defender) – Always updated daily.
    • Checked all Microsoft patches and updates – Always updated daily anyway.
    • Made sure Zone Alarm Firewall was fully up-to-date (always is).
    • Full Virus Check – took 6 hours and nothing found!
    • Full Malware/ AdWare Check – took hours too and again nothing found.
    • Updated firmware on Netgear Router
    • Updated firmware on TP-LINK TL-WN350G wireless card.
    • Updated driver on TP-LINK wireless card
    • Uninstalled and re-installed the TP-LINK wireless card many (many) times
    • Changed the settings on both the card and the router.
    • I changed the MTU number from 1500 to 1492 and then 1436 (and a good few other numbers in between too) using DRTCP on the PCI card.
    • Whenever I did this I always made sure that the MTU setting on the Router was exactly the same as the card. I tried every MTU setting under the sun – no difference.
    • Changed my HOSTS and LMHOSTS files. (both OK)
    • I uninstalled my Firewall, Anti Virus Software and anti malware software (i.e. no security at all) to see if that made any difference – it didn't and I DON'T recommend this.
    • I changed the DNS settings on both the card and the router from UTV's default settings to Google's DNS server. No difference.
    • Cleared my cache and deleted my Favourites (many times)
    • Forced my browsers to seek a new page every time they connect to any web page
    • Enabled Java (it was already enabled)
    • Enabled Active Scripting (it was already enabled)
    • Set the Internet Security to the lowest setting possible.
    • Deleted all temporary Internet files and deleted cache folders – no difference
    • I changed the protocol on the router from PPPoE to PPPoA - No difference.
    • You name it, I tried it. I was an IT professional in a previous life, so I wasn't scared to try any of these things, but I was all the more frustrated because my experience told me that there was no reason why this should be happening.

My saviour was bringing a wireless laptop into the same situation and observing that it worked perfectly first time without adjusting anything. So it didn't appear to my router, telephone line or Internet Service Provider.

Then I connected the desktop PC to the router with a network cable and could see that when I did this all the problems disappeared and I could get to all the web sites. So it was looking like my new TP-LINK TL-WN350G wireless pci network card. But everything looked correct with it and why would a card cause some web sites to work OK and others to time out? I didn't know but I decided to get another wireless network card, so I went for a Netgear WN311B. This is the 'heavy duty' wireless card in the Netgear range. It is a RangeMax and Wireless-N card and allows speeds up to 300 mbps. Once I ordered this I decided that it would be wasted with the standard router that UTV supply you with, so I bought a Netgear DGN2000 Wireless-N router too, again with speeds up to 300 Mbps and 5 times the coverage of a standard router.

AND THEY WORKED! This combo works perfectly, don't ask what was wrong before or how this fixes it, but it does and I'm happy!

My suspicions are twofold, 1. Part of the problem lies with eBay. I reckon eBay is hosted on many servers and that all eBay domains are mapped to many, many different IP addresses so DNS servers don't return an eBay response as quickly as they should. I think that there is a timing issue here and some systems can't handle the delay and your browser just times out or says the website cannot be contacted. 2. But I believe that the 'budget' network card was mostly to blame here, Ok so eBay might not respond in the desired fractions of a second that it should, but I think that this card, the TP-LINK TL-WN350G wasn't able to handle this. I don't know why, it doesn't make sense, I could find no bad reports about this card on the Internet, but once I skipped this card everything worked.

Sorry for the verbose explanation. I hope this helps somebody!

Alan

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I cannot access to internet but the internet connection is good [ 10 Answers ]

Hi there, I have a problem, and I have no clue about it. I have a wireless internet connection and I don't know what happened but I can not access to the internet. The wireless connection is fine, there is the green icon saying that the signal is perfect, but when I open the internet...

Can't access ebay.com through internet explorer or Firefox [ 4 Answers ]

Using xp professional sp2 and internet explorer 6.0 sp3 and can not access ebay.com using the address bar. Can access all other sites that I know of. I will relocate me to Google search then when I click on ebay.com it will give me the white screen isp provider etc. I have windows firewall turned...

Internet OK.just can't get Firefox or internet explorer to work [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I have.windows XP.I have d-link wireless for both laptops and netgear for this laptop,other laptop is fine.just can't load up a web page on this laptop.have mozilla Firefox.and internet explorer.I have looked at settings but I not sure what I am looking for, any help would be welcome

Can't Access Internet explorer [ 5 Answers ]

Hi: When I try access Internet Explorer I get the following error message " The required lookup key was not found in any activation context" I am running Windows XP. Can't seem to fiond a fix on the net, found lots of the sam question. Any Help would be appreciated. Regards Randy...

View more questions Search