Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sorry_i_did_it Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2009, 09:04 PM
    Caught stealing - 'Cash Return Fraud'
    I worked for Old Navy for over 3 years, my bosses always bragged about me to their bosses, and I was one of the best employees they've ever had.

Over a period of 6 or 7 months, I would keep customer's receipts from cash transactions and "return" items and pocket the cash. (It was always right around $20 each time-only a few times where it was a lot more).

It's tough times, I'm a full time college student, and I've had a lot of medical expenses this year (no excuse for doing what I did, but reasons).
    Our Loss Prevention people caught me, got me to write a statement saying I took $875 total (though that figure is what they claim I took ,but I really don't think it was that much - none-the-less I wanted to cooperate as mush as possible)

The LP agent appreciated my cooperation and I agreed to pay $875 back to the company through a repayment plan. He said due to the high amount, they had to report it to the authorities, but they were only going to report $206.11 so it would only be a misdemeanor since I had cooperated, was going to pay it back, and he'd only heard good things about me as an employee.

I was given a citation for 'stealing.' When I showed up to municipal court, the lady at the check in desk said no information had been submitted for my case, so there was nothing I needed to do at that time.

I've been calling the prosecutor's office every week (for a month now) since my original court date to see if anything has been filed, but so far nothing.

I am terrified!

I know the decisions I made were wrong.

I am so scared that this will keep me from ever starting a career after college! And I'm scared that Old Navy will go back on what they said and file a higher amount which may make it a felony.

What do I need to do? I can't sleep or concentrate on school anymore because I am so scared that I've ruined my entire future.

I want to make this right! I have learned how severe the consequences are, and I am terrified to disobey ANY law now.

Should I try to contact Old Navy to see what's up? Do you think this will be a drawn out ordeal? What are the odds of keeping this off my record? I am willing to do as much as it takes! I want to make it right!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I am deeply sorry for anyone who has been a victim of theft or fraud! It's a terrible thing, and really pathetic for people to stoop so low, but unfortunately it happens.
    Please don't post bashing comments, I've torn myself up enough about my actions.

Thank you!
    sorry_i_did_it Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2009, 09:08 PM

I'm in MO, USA by the way
    Sunflowers Posts: 218, Reputation: 23

May 8, 2009, 09:29 PM

I think one thing you could try is going to the law department at your University and ask if anyone there could/would represent you or give you legal counsel. You need a lawyer :X
    Jewdiithable Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2013, 11:43 AM
    Can you please tell me what happened. The same things happened to me today. Only it was only 170$ but I'm so afraid

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I got caught stealing: I'm 18 [ 6 Answers ]

I got caught stealing yesterday and I am 18. I stole 270 worth of clothing from Von Maur and they told me they would not put me in jail. They gave me a misdeamenor and this is my first offense. I am very scared about the consequences of the outcome of the court and need some advice on how to...

Trying to find initial investment with cash flows and rate of return [ 2 Answers ]

There is an opportunity to invest in a 2 year project with cash flows of $100,000 in year one and $200,000 in year two. The required rate of return is 20% and the question wants to know the maximum amount you should be willing to initially invest The answer is $222,100 but I can't figure out how...

I was caught stealing and now I'm afraid I will havea criminal record [ 23 Answers ]

PLEASE Help ME :( I was caught by a secret shopper at Zellers. For stealing a chocolate bar. I was sent to the back room with her, she called the police. When the police arrived she had tould him that she wasent going to banned me from the mall just at Zellers! ( for one year) The police officer...

Plot: Orphans find a briefcase with cash and return to find a hand [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to find the name of a 1980's movie that a group of orphaned kids find a briefcase with cash and return to find a hand in it. Then, the briefcase goes missing after they report it to the police. Does anyone know the name of this movie?

Caught stealing makeup at K-Mart [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter got caught stealing makeup at K- mart , it's the first time, she had just turned 18. But they sent me a letter from a law firm for K-mart that we had to pay a 500.00 fine. We did not pay it and will not. This was separate from the court , at court they gave her a Number to call to...

View more questions Search