Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blaw143 Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2009, 04:31 PM
    1991 Honda CRX Si will not stay running?
    My Step-son owns a 1991 Honda CRX Si with the 1.6L EFI Engine. A couple of days ago he was driving with a friend and the car just died, no spuddering, just like the key had been turned off. He and his friend got it off the road and they opened the hood and wiggled a few wires, got back in and it started back up with no problems. Was good for 2 days, then it happened again, same thing, the engine just died. We towed it home after being unsuccessful with the wiggling theory again. It's now in the garage and here is the problem as I see it: The engine turns over fine and will actually run as long as you hold the key in the III position, which of course is engaged by the starter at this time. Letting go of the key as in a normal start procedure, and it will run for about 1 or 2 seconds, then die.
    Here's what I've checked:
    Main Relay, resoldered all connections and tested it successfully with a 12V battery and a voltage meter.
    Checked the wiring to the MAP Sensor, it's good.
    Checked ground wires on and near the thermostat, all good, or redone and have good grounds.
    Checked every fuse in the car, under the dash and under the hood, all fuses are good. Performed continuity check on the ignition switch, it's good.
    Car has plenty of gas. I can hear the fuel pump when the key is put into position II and checked the flow coming out of the fuel filter, it is also good.
    Checked distributor cap for cracks, checked the rotor, it looks good.
    I seriously thought it was the ignition switch since I noticed that when you put the key in, and turn it to position II, there are NO Lights lit on the dash board? Turn the key to Position III, the starter engages, all the lights come on, but as soon as you let go of the key, the motor dies and there are NO Lights lit?
    Checked the ECU, there are and were no codes flashing on it. I did pull the fuse and reset it just in case.
    I'm at a loss of where to go now. I sure hope someone else has experienced this similar problem and has the solution, or at least some advice as to where to go next?

Thanks for any help offered.

Bill
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

May 8, 2009, 04:57 PM

Replace the ignition switch and harness:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...tml#post224652

May 8, 2009, 05:23 PM

Even though it tested good using the continuity checks for the ignition switch found in the Haynes Manual and another document that I found online? I was going to bet money on the ignition switch and would have thought that the continuity checks when the key was in Position II were going to fail, but all the checks showed continuity as stated in the documentation? I appreciate the link for the replacement procedure, was a little confused when it mentions "Disconnect 5-P connector from under-dash fuse box and 7-P connector from main wire harness." The continuity checks were done using a 4-P connector from under-dash fuse box and a 5-P connector from main wire harness?
    I've read many of your answers to other Honda owners and you no doubt know a whole lot more than I ever will about these cars. Just wanted to make sure of the Ignition Switch and Harness before emplying my wallet.

Thanks again for your advise.

Bill
    Uber Member

May 8, 2009, 05:47 PM

Your connectors may be different, since these do change from one generation Honda to the next. However, my bet is that the ignition switch is the culprit.

May 8, 2009, 06:00 PM
    OK, I really appreciate your quick response and am very confident in your suggestion to replace the ignition switch. I will update this question and answer after I've replaced it and let you know if it fixed the problem. If so, I will have a very happy Step-son who gets his car back, and an even happier wife when she gets her car back as well (she was nice enough to let him use her car to go to school and work while his is out of commision)!

Thanks again,

Bill
    Uber Member

May 8, 2009, 06:03 PM

Great.

May 11, 2009, 08:14 AM
    Tx GreaseMonkey!! You are the MAN! Replacing the ignition electronics fixed the problem. I have a very Happy Step-son again!

Thanks for all your help!

Bill

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1994 Honda Civic Ex won't start or stay running [ 1 Answers ]

The car will start then will stop running, even sometimes while I'm driving. I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel relay, distributor, main ecu, checked fuses, ground wires and I'm am at a loss. I have read a lot of posts about this problem here and I have noticed the txgreasemonkey has a lot of...

1992 Honda civic won't stay running. [ 3 Answers ]

I just bought a 1992 civic and it won't stay running. In fact it rarely starts. When it does start it runs for only a few minutes or less. I replaced main relay and could always hear the fuel pump. I think it is electrical since I cannot see spark at plugs. I have 5 volts at the map sensor and the...

Rough running 1991 honda [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 1991 Honda Accord LX (250,000 mi) it has a rough running zone between 1500 - 2000 rpms. Worst after car has warmed up. The distributor, cap, rotor, ign. Wires, spark plugs have been replaced. No loss of power or missing under load. It accelerates normal. A little rough idle when cold, but...

1991 Honda Civic DX won't stay running [ 8 Answers ]

My Honda Civic is having problems staying running. When this first started I was driving up a very slight hill and my vehicle started losing power and began to do a pulling action. It then completely died, as in engine and lights and everything. I managed to get it to an area where I could turn it...

90 Honda 1.5 won't stay running more then 5 miles.. Have to wait 24hrs before starting [ 1 Answers ]

I Have a 1990 Honda civic LX 1.5 duel injection. I been trying to trouble shoot for 3 months now.. It started intermittently dying and would always restart. Ive replaced the Fuel Main Relay, The distributor, The Fuel pump, Both the main and aux fuel injectors, Spark plugs, Distributor cap and...

View more questions Search