Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mel1432 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2006, 04:55 AM
    Please help!! My hair is horrible!
    I just dyed my hair a "dark brown" but it came out to a goth looking black this evening and its horrible! I can't even look in the mirror without crying :( I took 2 showers since dyeing it and some of the color still comes out but when I come out of the shower I still look the same :( I have been reading about many girls who went through the same problems and you mostly suggested prell shampoo ( what brand how much and where can I buy it?) and dish washer soap(sounds way too harmful)... I want to know the least damaging tool I can use to remove this ugly black and get a more natural brown or look other then this fake blue black I have please help me!! :(
    ravenhaired Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2006, 01:14 PM
    It's original Prell shampoo- but it in your dry hair, throw on a shower cap and leave in for 45 minutes. I blow dried it on high heat every now and then (as I heard heat enhances the process). Then lather and rinse with hot water. You can get Prell at drug stores. If you use the dishwashing liquid, put only a few drops in your shampoo so it's less damaging. For both methods, condition at the end.
    Good luck!
    cari0 Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Sep 26, 2006, 02:18 PM
    I wouldn't worry about it, and don't cry, just laugh. Just give it a couple of weeks and the color will be normal and you will like it. I've done the same thing and it always turns to a MUCH darker color than anticipated. After a couple or a few weeks it will be a lot better. Washing it a billion times right now won't make a noticeable difference by tomorrow, you have allow time to let the natural oils and chemicals in your own hair do their job and that takes more than Prell, trust me. I've been there many times before. Really, just a few weeks. If it's not any better, go to a salon.
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Sep 26, 2006, 10:05 PM
    Ravenhaired, it's good to know that you've been reading the posts on the forum. Permanent hair color gradually fades each time you shampoo. Prell is known to strip hair color. Mel, if you live in the US, you will find it at your local drug store or pharmacy in the hair care aisle. You can also use a clarifying shampoo to strip hair color. It can take weeks for permanent hair color to fade, especially if the color is dark. There's no harm in using a few drops Dawn dish detergent with your shampoo to help fade the color. If you shampoo your hair frequently with hot water, it will fade the color faster.

Sep 27, 2006, 03:12 PM
    Thanks for all of your help!. I found the prell shampoo and it didn't really take the color out but it did dry my hair out! So I'm scared to try the prell shampoo on dry hair with a cap solution... the reason why I'm scared it will not fade is because on the box it says soft black with the brand name of clairol and I don't know if that shade fades out... I can see a little red in the black now but its still extremely dark... do you think my hair will start to fade and should I use prell shampoo every time I shower even if it drys my hair? Or should I use my normal shampoo? Thank you so very much everyone!

Sep 28, 2006, 06:39 AM
    Personally, I would use your regular moisturizing shampoo and deep condition it afterwards. Healthy, dark hair looks way prettier than unhealthy dry hair with faded cheap color. I've been there. As long as you wash your hair every day it will fade. I would bet that the time that it takes to fade using Prell vs any other shampoo is not so much of a difference that you should damage your hair over it. Moisturize. Also, have you ever gone into one of those Sally Beauty supply stores? They might have a product available that will help with your color, like a leave on treatment or something. Just talk to somebody there- or at any other beauty supply store. They will most likely have something that will help and won't damage your hair - and it won't be dishsoap :oP yuck.
    ravenhaired Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2006, 07:23 AM
    Sorry to hear it dried your hair out. Did you condition afterward & leave it in for a while?
    -

Sep 28, 2006, 02:47 PM
    Keep in mind that dark hair dyes are the hardest to fade. As I've mentioned, permanent color can take weeks to fade. Hair color will gradually fade every time you shampoo, and the color can look quite pretty sometimes. Prell or clarifying shampoos fade color more quick because they are known to strip color build up. Frequent shampooing can make your hair dry. When you wash your hair, be sure to follow with a conditioner. You can also do a deep conditioning treatment once or twice a week. It restores dry or damaged hair and gives it a healthy appearance.

Your other option is to remove the color by using a hair color remover or bleach (hydrogen peroxide). If you use a hair color remover or bleach, it will make your hair brassy, and you will need to re-color it. Since your desired color is dark brown, I suggest that you give it some time to fade.
    courtxox Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2006, 12:25 AM
    Ahhh :( Please someone help! 4 months ago I wanted my hair chocolate brown with light streaks and the girl at the salon ended up bleaching so much of my hair and it went super light. I went back a month later where they dyed it brown and left some blond streaks. The streaks started to grow out so I decided to just dyed my hair full chocolate brown. I duno what happened but it turned PURE BLACK. :( My hair dresser told me she would have to bleach my hair and then apply a really light brown so it would go a nice brown but Im A. scared she will ruin my hair even more because obviously she doesn't no what she is doing! Or B. my hair will fall out from all this overprecessing. If someone could tell me what is the best and safest way that would be great

Oct 2, 2006, 12:44 AM
    So sourt I read about your problem and I'm sorry to hear what happned :( as you can see, I went through the same problem and it has been about a week since my I dyed my hair... use classic prell shampoo.. its in a green bottle and you can buy it at any drug store... wash it for a good 5 minutes and rinse.. it will leave your hair dry but it will take some color out... the best advice I can give you from what people have been telling me is to just give it time and it will gradually fade... the good thing with your condition is that you have had bleech in your hair so it will fade out for sure! Don't worry... dont strip or bleech it anymore because your going to just ruin your hair... I def recommend you using prell and going to a professional hairdresser to get it deep conditioned... it will fade just wait a couple weeks good luck!

Oct 2, 2006, 12:58 AM
    Thanks for your advice! The things is Im afraid it isn't going to fade since my natural hair is really dark. This has happened to me before, about 4 years ago when I tried to dye it brown and it turned black. This was in grade 10 and I pretty much had black hair until after graduation! Do you think my hair will break off if I bleach it. After looking at other post Im scared that my hair will end up being brassy if it is bleached.

Oct 3, 2006, 12:47 AM
    Don't bleech... wait for it to grow out your just going to damage the hell out of you hair and it won't look good... if you bleech it... it might even come out orange so.. its up to you but just wait let it grow out or wait a couple months to dye it again

Oct 3, 2006, 01:04 AM
    Doesn't bleaching always turn your hair a orange color? And then that's when you put another color over top? That's what my hair dresser has told me :S.. I went to two salons today and one said they couldn't do anything and the other said they could make a 'cocktail' rinse and that might get out the black. I think I might just buy that shampoo and let it fade, then maybe it a couple months try to fix it, I just hate having black hair in the meantime! :(

Oct 3, 2006, 06:48 AM
    Well, you could have it stripped at the salon and then they could put on whatever color you pick and it will be exactly that color... but I don't recommend it. And it could cost close to $200 depending on where you go. I had my hair stripped when I was 23 because I colored my hair myself with the cheap stuff and it turned army green. My hair was a normal color, but it was SOOO damaged. I was 26 before it started to look healthy again, and that was with NO blowdrying, and lots of deep conditioning and regular trims.

Oct 4, 2006, 01:06 PM
    Yea I went to a highend salon today and they said bleaching my whole head would damage it a lot but putting small streaks all over would do the job followed but 2 deep conditioning masks and a lot of good shampooa & conditioner after, its going to cost 300$ for for this color correction! :(

Oct 4, 2006, 01:32 PM
    $300! That's a rip off, especially when there's no guarantee that it will turn out okay. Streaks don't cost THAT much, and you can deep condition it yourself. If I were you, I'd check around and get a few more opinions and quotes.

Oct 4, 2006, 04:04 PM
    Ohh I know, when I heard 300$ I almost started to cry! So expensive, I'm deff. Going to look around and see if I can find anything chaeaper
    -

Oct 4, 2006, 06:10 PM
    Courtxox, I've received your PM. I didn't see your post when I was answering the beauty and skin care questions. It's best to create new threads when you have questions because it's easier for me to see them.

Let me start by explaining to you about (bleaching and toning), which is known as a "double process". When hair is bleached it goes through different stages of lightening. It goes from dark black, to dark reddish brown, to medium reddish brown, to reddish brown, to light orange red, to gold orange, to gold, to light gold, to yellow, to pale yellow blonde, to palest yellow blonde. So if your desire color is light brown, the hairstylist will need to pre-lighten your hair to a gold stage and then desposit the color.

If your hair is black, it will take a while for the color to fade. Permanent color will not come out, it will fade or grow out. The only way to get rid of dark hair dye is to strip the color from your hair. In the mean time, you can limit the damage by using a deep conditioner for 20-30 minutes at least twice a week. I suggest that you wait a few weeks for the damage to repair. Once your hair is in good condition, the hairstylist can do corrective color on your hair. Prices depend on the salon you go to and the process involved. Some salons will charge $80 to $100, and others can charge up to $300. You might want to research the salons in your area, I'm sure that there are some salons that will fix your hair for less. If you have anymore questions, feel free to PM me.
    cissy0801 Posts: 129, Reputation: 6

Oct 31, 2007, 03:00 AM
    Dye your hair back to brown or you can ask for the hairdresser's a refund or something as it turned out not what you have expected!
    byazard Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2007, 04:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel1432
    i just dyed my hair a "dark brown" but it came out to a goth looking black this evening and its horrible! i can't even look in the mirror without crying :( i took 2 showers since dyeing it and some of the color still comes out but when i come out of the shower i still look the same :( i have been reading about many girls who went through the same problems and you mostly suggested prell shampoo ( what brand how much and where can i buy it?) and dish washer soap(sounds way too harmful)...i want to know the least damaging tool i can use to remove this ugly black and get a more natural brown or look other then this fake blue black i have please help me!!! :(
    Try the anti dandruff shampoo Head and Shoulders, it is notorious for fading hair colour, although it may take a few washes before you see a result. Don't keep washing your hair again and again as it will damage it. Use it every time you shower.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Eyelashes Are Horrible [ 22 Answers ]

I have naturally curly eyelashes that grow in all weird directions. They won't go straight at all and I comb them and everything. I try to use mascara to make them look longer, but it just clumps together and looks awful. How can I get them to be straight ?

3 year old with horrible tantrums [ 47 Answers ]

I'm writing this question for a friend of mine who has a 3 year old son. She is at her wit's end with his tantrums and is starting to wonder if they are normal or not. Since I'm not a mother yet I don't feel I have enough experience to judge that, but maybe someone here has an opinion? Here are a...

Horrible husband [ 7 Answers ]

My friends husband has signed over their home to his father in an attempt to hide the equity they have in their home in the divorce settlement is this legal? He also was charged with assaulting her and is now under a two year restraining order which gave her the marital home to live in during that...

Horrible smell in kitchen [ 3 Answers ]

Please help. I live on the third floor of a house. We have a horrible smell in the kitchen. It comes and goes. It seems to be at its worst when it is damp, humid or if it rains. I have no idea where it is coming from. Sometimes it is so bad, you can't even stay in the room. We don't have a...

View more questions Search