Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask

View Poll Results: What has been the most effective factor in helping you cope during no contact?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keeping as busy as possible with schoolwork or work

8 11.94%
  • Spending time and catch up with old friends

9 13.43%
  • Meeting new people and making new friends

5 7.46%
  • Joining the gym or playing lots of sports

7 10.45%
  • Spending quality time with family

3 4.48%
  • Doing new/old activities, such as volunteering, joining clubs, etc.

2 2.99%
  • Doing and finding new hobbies

2 2.99%
  • Re-reading the advice that we receive from this site reminding us why we are in NC

15 22.39%
  • Blocking and deleting him/her from ALL social networks, IM and email

12 17.91%
  • Changing your phone number

4 5.97%
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Jun 2, 2009, 05:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by naturallydelici View Post
    Tell me about it.. I didn't know about NC, really, and managed to drag my break-up out over a period of four months. Maybe it's that trial run thing. I think the worst part is, maybe we could have been friends, in time, but now there's so much pain there, I'm not sure I wouldn't just flat-out drop to the ground and curl up in a ball if I ever saw her again.

Oh, and the torturing ourselves. Tell me about it... What's up with that..?
    We all learn somewhere. The toughest part is accepting the fact that we need to go in to NC. It gets tougher and tougher at the beginning and middle of NC, but once it starts getting easier, it show that we've made progress.

Another thing is, there's a chance that we might never be friends with that person again. So it's tough to accept that part, which is why some of us might fear to go into NC.
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2009, 05:56 AM

Continuining on what I Wish has stated, most often, after a long period of NC and moving on, we DON'T want to be friends with our ex. I know I don't. I have enough friends, and I certainly don't need her drama in my life.
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2009, 05:58 AM

I agree with KC, I believe Sneezy and I became "friends" with our exes simply because it was less stressful than hearing people talk about how we should talk to them and be friends. SO after I became "friends" with her, it all went away and my ex and I hardly ever talk.
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2009, 06:14 AM

The best thing about NC is that one day, far far away, you will look back and realize how much better off you are. At first, when you go through this break up stuff, it just sucks. No appetite, not motivation to do anything, and of course, no forseeing a better future. But, rest assured, one day, you will wake up, be a better person, and be truly happy knowing that your happiness isn't built upon a dependence for someone else. One day...
    roxypox Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 328
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2009, 07:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by I wish View Post
    I want to second this. Friends and close family members can really help with the no contact. They help us channel our energy towards something else. Helps us with distractions.
    So true! Often they also have a wish to protect you and keep you happy...
    naturallydelici Posts: 19, Reputation: 5

Jun 2, 2009, 09:40 AM

I'm not sure this is the right thread, but I just saw a great quote that felt very true to me.

Attributed to the movie Cocktail: "Everything ends badly, otherwise it wouldn't end."
    Lonelyandbroken Posts: 118, Reputation: 15

Jun 2, 2009, 11:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by naturallydelici View Post
    I'm not sure this is the right thread, but I just saw a great quote that felt very true to me.

Attributed to the movie Cocktail: "Everything ends badly, otherwise it wouldn't end."
    Yes nothing lasts forever
    CrazyThumper Posts: 82, Reputation: 36

Jun 2, 2009, 12:28 PM
    It just takes time. Period. Your list has a lot of good ideas, and you will be adding to that list as time goes on. Use your friends, family, pets, hobbies, work, gym, etc all to your advantage. When you are alone & bored- SNAP yourself out of it and DO something- laundry, clean your car, make some food, etc.

Try not to be alone as much as possible. Surround yourself by friends that understand- not ones that think your dumb for feeling the way you feel. My friends knew I could go from being in an awesome mood to ZERO within seconds for quite awhile.. and still can to this day and it's been 8 months. But they are there for me, even if there is no more advice to give. Build up your confidence somehow. A lot of times we become so depressed because we don't think we can find someone else.

Make yourself desirable again, and lift your head up. Girls/Guys FEED off others confidence/happiness and attraction is built from this. For months I had people tell me "Dude.. I can see your miserable from all the way across the bar". And I was.. and I had to accept that I was in no way ready to move on, BUT had to continue getting out there and "Fake it till you make it". Eventually your mind/body will accept what has happened, and you will heal.

Breaking NC does set you back.. I'm guilty of doing it all. Whether it was a phone call to her family/friends, checking facebook/myspace/twitter whatever. Driving by places she might be, asking people about her, reading old emails/txts, the list goes on. You just have to try REALLY hard to stop all of it. And THEN things will start to get better. Do NICE things for people who appreciate it, friends/strangers whoever. It will remind you that there ARE good people out there.

And lastly... this may sound horrible but.. you have to remind yourself that HE/SHE is not the person you were in love with anymore as hard as that is to grasp or believe. They have made THEIR decision to not have you in their life, and have moved on. You have to tell yourself "Why in the WORLD would I want to be with someone who does NOT want me or what I have to offer". Who wants to spend their life like that? I don't know about you but I WANT to come home to someone who smiles when they see me, holds me when I go to sleep, and kisses me every morning. I sure as HELL don't EVER want to wonder "Do they really want to be with me? Are they with me because they feel bad? Etc".

Keep on living, it will get better..

Thumper
    Family & People Expert

Aug 31, 2009, 08:04 AM

No contact seems to be such a common topic in our forum that I thought I'd link up my successful no contact story to this thread: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/relati...re-319894.html

No harm re-wording what I learnt from no contact:

1) The advice that we receive in this forum allows us to view our situation from another perspective and can be very insightful.

2) No contact worked in my situation as my feelings for that person was completely drained out of my system. I feel extremely refreshed, almost like a new person.

3) Reconciliation was in my mind throughout the no contact phase, especially at the beginning. But at the end of no contact, reconciliation has been long forgotten and not even considered anymore.

4) As for the possibility of becoming regular friends; I don't even want to attempt a friendship. There 6 billion other people in this world, no point putting myself through all that drama again.
    ohsohappy Posts: 1,564, Reputation: 314
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2009, 08:11 AM

What exactly is NC mode?
    Family & People Expert

Aug 31, 2009, 08:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ohsohappy View Post
    What exactly is NC mode??
    All your questions can be answered in this sticky: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/relati...qs-332732.html
    ohsohappy Posts: 1,564, Reputation: 314
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2009, 08:27 AM

Ohh I understand now. This is funny, because my ex keeps trying to text me and talk to me, when I told him I don't want to speak to him, EVER. He's just not getting the point. I have a boyfriend that I care about very much. And not only do I just not want to talk to my ex, but I don't want to ruin my relationship over it. My ex says heh thinks we could "be honest to god friends" and I "honest to god want nothing to do with him" How can I get him to leave me alone? I don't know how I can be any clearer. And I don't want to change my number. He can't talk to me any other way, because I've BLOCKED him from EVERYTHING. Also, I have tmobile and they don't block numbers. Unless you're on a family plan, which I am not and I can't afford. UGH
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 31, 2009, 08:27 AM

This is a great thread, and others can benefit greatly from it. Hope you don't mind it being added to the stickies list.
    ByeBye Posts: 34, Reputation: 8

Sep 1, 2009, 12:04 PM

Thanks I wish for starting this thread.I been trying nc for quite some time and was actually going to break nc today.but reading this thread gives me hope and strength that things will be find and that one day my heart and soul will heal and I will be able to move on.I feel better knowing I'm nt alone and there is support out there!thanks again to everyone!
    CoolDude48323 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2009, 02:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ohsohappy View Post
    Ohh I understand now. This is funny, because my ex keeps trying to text me and talk to me, when I told him I don't want to speak to him, EVER. He's just not getting the point. I have a boyfriend that I care about very much. and not only do I just not want to talk to my ex, but I don't want to ruin my relationship over it. My ex says heh thinks we could "be honest to god friends" and I "honest to god want nothing to do with him" How can i get him to leave me alone?! I don't know how i can be any clearer. And I don't want to change my number. he can't talk to me any other way, because i've BLOCKED him from EVERYTHING. Also, I have tmobile and they dont' block numbers. Unless you're on a family plan, which I am not and I can't afford. UGH

At ohsohappy, how long did you find your new boyfriend after you broke up with your ex?
    threetimesout Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2009, 05:18 PM

I'm going through the same thing right now... it is very hard and I'm the one the kicked him out... it's hard to remember the bad stuff in the relationship... all I keep thinking about is how I went from being married to separated and it's killing me
    Family & People Expert

Sep 2, 2009, 06:31 PM

You don't need to remember the good or bad stuff. The point is, don't think about your ex whatsoever. Any time of thoughts will just prolong the suffering. The trick is to do anything possible to get your ex out of your mind. You want to pretend as if the person doesn't even exist.

The pain can get worse at first, but it will get easier with time. But every time you have any type of contact or reminder of the ex, then there's a chance you might take a few steps back in the healing process. So you want to avoid all reminders as much as possible.
    moni1210 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2009, 05:09 PM

I am so there. I am not sure why but it hurts so bad this time. I am trying to do things but I have lost interest. I keep telling myself good thoughts good thoughts but... it is so hard I really feel like an addict
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2009, 05:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by moni1210 View Post
    i am so there. i am not sure why but it hurts so bad this time. i am trying to do things but i have lost interest. i keep telling myself good thoughts good thoughts but...it is so hard i really feel like an addict

A fix,a phone call,anything!

Keep trying,as each day passes the pain will ease,your in a different phase of your life and the transition hurts,but you will get there..

Baby steps..

Tell yourself,this time is the last time he will hurt me,this time I am free.
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2009, 06:27 AM

Day by day you ll notice it will get better.there are no shortcuts but you will get through this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Thoughts and urges [ 7 Answers ]

Ok.. so I am a little embarrassed by what I am about to write, but I am just being honest, so here it goes... I am a 20 year old girl, in a serious relationship with a man, but I have been feeling the urge to be with girls.. well, not "girls" but one girl. I have a best friend and lately I have...

What to do with child who want to break the rules and do the contrary [ 2 Answers ]

What to do with child who want to break the rules and do the contrary

Urges again [ 3 Answers ]

Its been almost a year since I've stopped cutting but even sometimes when I feel OK I just am so overwelmed to cut myself I don't get it I'm scard about it just one thing makes me sad or pisses me off I find myself with my knife about to cut I just don't get why I want to do it but don't its so...

Eliminate sexual urges [ 6 Answers ]

Hi all, I am 30 year old guy unmarried. Never had sex. I wish to remain unmarried and get rid of my sexual urges entirely. However, what ever I do should not cause permanent damage, in case I change my mind later in life I myself do not understand what has led to the present state of my mind....

View more questions Search