Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wizardx Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2006, 01:07 AM
    Thread for CaptainForest re Prepaid Rent
    You're clearly the most learned and/or the most helpful poster on these boards... I became a member to ask you this simple question regarding adjustments:

Company X has rented its showroom and office space from Z at 7,000 per month for the last 3 years. The rent for January, 2007, was paid in advance on 12/29/06.

It is assumed that this transaction was recorded (prior to 12/31), however, no Prepaid Rent exists on the books. As a result, I am aware that I must create this account and debit 7000 to it. My question is... what do I credit? I'm guessing cash has already been credited if the transaction has previously been recorded and I can't credit the Rent Expense because it hasn't been used up yet --- what basic principle am I missing? Thanks.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2006, 01:26 PM
    If we are to assume that this transaction was recorded prior to 12/31/06, then I would assume it was recorded as:

Dr. Rent Expense 7,000
    Cr. Cash 7,000

I would check over Rent Expense of 2006 to see if that is what happened.

If it is…
    Then what you need to go is go back and make an adjusting entry for 2006 of:
    Dr. Prepaid Rent 7,000
    Cr. Rent Expense 7,000

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Prepaid insurance an asset? [ 8 Answers ]

According the GAAP (the 3 asset criteria), how can I justify that Prepaid insurance is an asset? (i.e. I know that costs are known and that it will provide future benefit for the company, but is this future benefit measurable)?

Prepaid insurance [ 2 Answers ]

I have a problem... I am renewing my company's insurance policy and I am paying 25% downpayment of the premium in Sept. and the rest in 10 monthly installments. When I pay down the 25% do I record this is prepaid insurance? Also, the 10 monthly installments should be recorded as insurance...

Where can I buy prepaid cards [ 2 Answers ]

Where can I buy a prepaid card to be able to download music from the internet for my MP3 player. I know I can download it for free, but I don't want to do that.

Prepaid Account [ 1 Answers ]

Company A is sending a check to Company B(manufacturing company) each month as a prepay to cover expenses. On the books of Company B upon receiving the check from Company A, the check would be recorded as a debit to cash and a credit to what? What type of prepaid account should be set up? Once...

View more questions Search