Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 8, 2009, 09:11 AM
    The NY Slimes & American Exceptionalism
    Hello:

From an obituary today in the NY Slimes:

"Col. Harold E. Fischer Jr., an American fighter pilot who was routinely tortured in a Chinese prison during and after the Korean War, becoming — along with three other American airmen held at the same prison — a symbol and victim of cold war tension, died in Las Vegas on April 30. He was 83 and lived in Las Vegas. The cause was complications of back surgery, his son Kurt said.

From April 1953 through May 1955, Colonel Fischer — then an Air Force captain — was held at a prison outside Mukden, Manchuria. For most of that time, he was kept in a dark, damp cell with no bed and no opening except a slot in the door through which a bowl of food could be pushed. Much of the time he was handcuffed. Hour after hour, a high-frequency whistle pierced the air...."

Like my righty friends would say, "That's TORTURE??"

You will notice how the Slimes defines torture when it comes to what foreign governments did - isolation, sensory deprivation, sleep deprivation - but not what WE did. What THEY did is much milder, of course, than anything WE did to one of our own citizens, Jose Padilla, or what we routinely did at Gitmo. Yet, the Slimes doesn't call what WE did torture.

Embodied in this column is the notion that predominates among our political and media elites: everything is different, and better, when WE do it.

In fact, it is that exact mentality that was and continues to be the primary justification for our torture regime. It needs to change. We are NOT exceptional. We might even be less than average.

excon
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2009, 09:48 AM
    I guess I'm missing the point of Andrew Sullivan's rant since a quick NYT search revealed over 10,000 hits on the word "torture" including this May 5th editorial by the very editors Sullivan excoriates. I guess that just shows how far off the deep end Sullivan has gone.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 8, 2009, 09:51 AM

Hello Steve:

So, you're fine with calling what happened to Fischer torture, but not what we do. I figured as much.

excon
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2009, 10:13 AM

Just pointing out that your previously unnamed source is either losing his mind, hasn't paid that much attention to what the NY Times has said or he just doesn't care what the facts are - maybe all three.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2009, 10:41 AM
    kept in a dark, damp cell with no bed and no opening except a slot in the door through which a bowl of food could be pushed.
    Well no ; our prisoners are kept in comfortable cells that have been inspected by numerous international agencies including the Red Cross. I bet they compare favorably or superior to how the domestic prisoner is housed.

They are fed so well that there is a new medical concern at GITMO... weight gain. .
    Much of the time he was handcuffed. Hour after hour, a high-frequency whistle pierced the air... "
    Well no ;if you have evidence that our prisoners were subject to constant high-frequency whistle lets hear the evidence. Ours were subject occasionally to loud music .

Further ;the worse of the interrogation were used to obtain actionable intel from someone we know was planning attacks on us. The Chinese were doing this to elicit what they knew would be a false confession.

Sorry .not the same.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

American Standard [ 16 Answers ]

How to remove shower valve american standard

For those of you not American. [ 21 Answers ]

Who would you like to see become the next President of the United States and Why? Would be very interested in hearing your thoughts, Thank you, merci, ta, gracias, danke, grazie... etc :D

How does she become American like me? [ 1 Answers ]

My fiancé is a Canada native.. She wants to live here in the USA with me, I'm an American how do we take care of this situation?. I'm enlisted in the Us Navy, and I'm going to ship out in January... Can she stay in base with me? While the paper work is pending? Cause I also did a K-1 it's in...

NY Slimes endorsements [ 15 Answers ]

:p Predictably they endorsed Evita :eek: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/25/opinion/25fri1.html . But check out their kudos to John McCain : We have strong disagreements with all the Republicans running for president. The leading candidates have no plan for getting American troops out...

American literature [ 1 Answers ]

I really need help on some questions I have on my work for homeschooling :confused:

View more questions Search