Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carroll99 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2009, 04:14 AM
    Freeware to repair an Excel file
    I need freeware to repair an excel file.
    Thanks
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 8, 2009, 04:48 AM
    Excel files rarely need "repair" so you're unlikely to find any. What is wrong with the file?
    BTW I have some expertise in finding freeware/open source version of many apps.

May 8, 2009, 04:59 AM
    Thanks for the reply
    The file loads OK, but any changes take about 30 sec - drag a cell to another location and the hourglass is on the screen for 30 sec. I did an excel "file open/repair" and got the message that the file was repaired - some conditional format data was removed. However, this did not solve the problem.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 8, 2009, 05:12 AM
    Have you tried opening the file on another computer and making some changes there? The issue could be with either your PC or your version of Excel.

May 8, 2009, 08:20 PM
    NeedKarma,
    Thanks for your help. I finally solved the problem by saving the Excel file as a .SYLK
    File and then saving back as an Excel file. I had to do a little format work, but the file
    Is no longer corrupted and works fine. This "SYLK" solution came from a Microsoft forum.
    Carroll
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

May 9, 2009, 11:31 AM

I'm going to guess that perhaps you were experiencing worksheet "bloat" which I've seen occasionally, too. The cause seems to be when formatting and conditional formatting gets applied to entire columns and rows... traveling FAR outside your actual work area on your sheets.

Sometimes, this starts causing the file SIZE to inflate unbelievably, too, further frustrating the matter.

The simple fix, if this is really what is going on and to keep from losing the formatting/conditional formatting you ARE using, is to highlight all the columns outside your work area and click:

EDIT > CLEAR > ALL

Then repeat that with all the rows below your work area.

My wife recently had an issue at her work, a file she used daily had suddenly bloomed up to 15mg in size and was taking forever to do things. We did the trick above and the file size dropped to 72k.

Egads.

May 9, 2009, 07:05 PM
    Thanks for your help. For whatever reason, your suggestion didn't help, but thanks for
    Trying to help.
    Carroll
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

May 9, 2009, 11:40 PM

Bummer, well, hopefully it will come in handy when it does happen to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Excel formula vs file location [ 2 Answers ]

Hi All, I created 2 MS Excel worksheets with VLookup formulas which worked fine. When the worksheets were opened on another computer the formulas added the formulas added the file locations to the formulas. i.e.. Instead of =VLOOKUP(A2,'[... it has =VLOOKUP(A2,'C:\Documents and Settings etc... Can...

Excel. Can't see the top of the file when open to move it lol [ 6 Answers ]

OK, this is a strange problem. I am not a novice.. I know Excel quite well but I have encountered this issue. So when I open this file (File A) maximized, it is fine. However, for this particular part of my job, I need 2 excel files open at the same time. So I stretch Excel out across my...

How to convert a .wab-file into excel [ 9 Answers ]

I have the following problem: I have my contacts in groups in my outlook express contact list. I need this contacts, sorted by groups in cvs or excel. If I import them to e.g. Outlook I get the contacts, but not sorted in groups. I can save the groups as a .wab-file, but do I get them into excel?

View more questions Search