Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cindy_lu_who Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2009, 02:20 PM
    Is baptism required for salvation?
    Do you have to be baptized in water to be saved? I know that it is a good thing to do, but is it more a symbol of our Christian faith or is it necessary for salvation? I have read the Bible but still not sure. I have asked but always get different answers. I mean even Jesus was baptized with water, but the thief on the cross next to him was saved by faith. Any answers would be a great help. Thanks in advance.
    Krazi Posts: 358, Reputation: 70

May 7, 2009, 02:43 PM

Unable to cut/paste.

Your answer:
    Water Baptism - Bible Study and Christian Teaching on Baptism in Water - Biblical Teachings

Must read...
    Excellent reading.

Fr_Chuck, what do you think?
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2009, 03:55 PM

Cindy,

You are going to get all different kinds of answers on this one. I have studyied this topic since I was in my early 20's. Bottom line... every Christian should be baptized... it is NOT a requirement of salvation. If anything other than simple belief in the Lord Jesus' fininshed work is needed... He didn't finish the work... and HE said it best... IT IS FINISHED.
    Dondi Posts: 20, Reputation: 4

May 7, 2009, 05:11 PM
    Nope. If you get baptised before receiving the gift of salvation all you got was a bath or your head sprinkled. Baptism is an outward sign of an inward change. It is only to confirm what you have already done by receiving Jesus Christ into your life as Lord and Savior.
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2009, 05:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cindy_lu_who View Post
    Do you have to be baptized in water to be saved? I know that it is a good thing to do, but is it more a symbol of our Christian faith or is it necesary for salvation? I have read the Bible but still not sure. I have asked but always get different answers. I mean even Jesus was baptized with water, but the theif on the cross next to him was saved by faith. Any answers would be a great help. Thanks in advance.
    No. Absolutely not. Scripture is very clear on that point.

It is an act of obedience after salvation, but it is the blood that Jesus shed on the cross for our sins, not water that washes away our sins.
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2009, 08:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tj3 View Post
    No. Absolutely not. Scripture is very clear on that point.

It is an act of obedience after salvation, but it is the blood that Jesus shed on the cross for our sins, not water that washes away our sins.
    Tj3,

I love when we are in sync.;).. now if I could get you to see the error of your ways in HEBREWS... but you want to be stubborn.:D
    Pokerface5 Posts: 85, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2009, 08:39 PM

The bible states that in order to be born again we must be baptised and in order to get into heaven we must be born again. So even though the bible doesn't flat out say. You need to be baptised to enter heaven, it is implied. If you need to be baptised to be born again, and you need to be born again to get into heaven, then it's just like saying that you need to be baptised to get into heaven. But that is a personal decision between you and christ.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 7, 2009, 08:40 PM

Well I was going to disagree just for the point of having a good discussion but have to agree.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

May 7, 2009, 08:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokerface5 View Post
    The bible states that in order to be born again we must be baptised and in order to get into heaven we must be born again. So even though the bible doesn't flat out say. You need to be baptised to enter heaven, it is implied. If you need to be baptised to be born again, and you need to be born again to get into heaven, then it's just like saying that you need to be baptised to get into heaven. But that is a personal decision between you and christ.
    The bible actually says born again? I would like to know where.
    Must be baptised in order to get in heaven we must be born again, where does it say that?
    Where is it implied?
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2009, 08:51 PM

Joe,

Jesus tells nicodemus he had to be born again... but that was the only time the term was used and baptism was not involved in the conversation.
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2009, 08:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by classyT View Post
    Tj3,

I love when we are in sync.;)..now if i could get you to see the error of your ways in HEBREWS..... but you want to be stubborn.:D
    Who is in error may be matter of opinion ;)

But I can guarantee you that when we are both in eternity, we will be in 100% agreement!
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2009, 08:54 PM
    Who is in error may be matter of opinion ;)

But I can guarantee you that when we are both in eternity, we will be in 100% agreement!
    That we will my friend... but you will have to say these four words I long to hear when we get there... TESS, YOU WERE RIGHT! That's OK, I won't rub it in too bad. ;)

May 7, 2009, 09:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76 View Post
    The bible actually says born again? I would like to know where.
    Must be baptised in order to get in heaven we must be born again, where does it say that?
    Where is it implied?
    Here are some Verses:
    Even Jesus was baptised: Matthew 3:13
    Jesus tells them to be baptised the way he was:Mark 10:39
    You must be born again:J ohn 3:3, John 3:7,
    AND THE BIGGEST EVIDANCE OF ALL::: JOHN 3:3-10:) (it says born of water, what other water is there?)
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2009, 10:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokerface5 View Post
    Here are some Verses:
    Even Jesus was baptised: Matthew 3:13
    Jesus tells them to be baptised the way he was:Mark 10:39
    You must be born again:J ohn 3:3, John 3:7,
    AND THE BIGGEST EVIDANCE OF ALL::: JOHN 3:3-10:) (it says born of water, what other water is there?)
    When you are born there is water - ask any doctor or any mother.

Jesus explained it:

John 3:4-6
    5 Jesus answered, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
    NKJV
    adam7gur Posts: 372, Reputation: 38

May 8, 2009, 12:51 AM

If by ''salvation'' you mean entering the Kingdom of Heaven,then baptism is not a ''must'',and the thief's story is a good example.But if you mean,being saved from the authourity of the world and its master then baptism is required as a statement that you no longer belong to the world but you belong to Jesus.
    The people of Israel were living in Egypt and were under the authourity of the Pharaoh.Egypt is the World and the Pharaoh is its master the devil.The Israelites were saved by them but even after the death of every firstborn in Egypt,the Pharaoh still came after them,so the Israelites came to a point were there was no other way for them except through the waters of the sea.They came through those waters,and those same waters became the grave of the Egyptians,the grave of the World.
    So today , if I want to be saved by ''the Egyptians'',I have to be baptized,but have this on mind , that not all of the Israelites made it to the promised land!
    homesell Posts: 244, Reputation: 43

May 8, 2009, 06:02 AM

Why do so many talk of adding rules, regulations, or rituals to salvation? When the spirit of God enters a person. They are born of the spirit. A water birth is natural birth as semen is mostly water and a natural birth is quite watery. Nicodemus talked of a water birth, Jesus spoke of being born of God. The Baptism is a symbol of what has taken place spiritually. We are lowered into the water as we are lowered into the grave. We are under the water(as Jonah was in the belly of the great fish) as we would be in the grave, and then we rise up out of the water as we rise up out of the grave to walk in the newness of life having put to death our old self. Being baptized is merely obeying the command of Jesus, just as he also commanded us to love one another as He loved us and to be Holy as God is Holy. Do we always do these things? No. But we should do them if we are able and Jesus says we are able. Yes we stumble and fall but we are picked back up by God. We don't wallow in sin or make it a lifestyle for the spirit in us cannot tolerate it.

May 8, 2009, 08:57 AM
    [QUOTE=Tj3;1720455]When you are born there is water - ask any doctor or any mother.

Well when Nicodemous said "how can a man go back into his mother womb" (paraphrase)
    That's when God said water and faith. If Jesus was talking about a baby being carried in the mothers placenta filled with water he wouldn't have corrected nicodemous in the first place.
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2009, 09:10 AM

Poker,

He DID correct him. Nicodemous didn't get it and neither did anyone standing there listening. BUT we get it now.. this side of the cross. He is talking about being spirtually born again with HIS spirit... the HOLY SPIRIT. It doesn't come through baptism... the bible says we are SEALED with the Holy Spirit right after we believe in HIS finished work.
    sndbay Posts: 1,447, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2009, 10:46 AM

Jesus asked can you be baptized with the baptism I was baptized with?

Hear His Voice

Matthew 20:23 And He saith unto them, Ye shall drink indeed of my cup, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with: but to sit on my right hand, and on my left, is not mine to give, but [it shall be given to them] for whom it is prepared of my Father.

So who is a good servant doing the will of God?

Hear HIS Voice

Luke 12:45-50 And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes. But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more. I am come to send fire on the earth; and what will I, if it be already kindled? But I have a baptism to be baptized with; and how am I straitened till it be accomplished!
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2009, 03:12 PM
    When you are born there is water - ask any doctor or any mother.

Jesus explained it:

John 3:4-6
    5 Jesus answered, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
    NKJV
    Tom,

Elaborate... if you don't mind.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can you lose your salvation? [ 492 Answers ]

As a Christian, do you believe that you are "once saved always saved" or do you believe there is a way or different ways one can lose their salvation? Very interested to get your feedback.:D

Baptism and salvation [ 50 Answers ]

What is the relationship of Baptism and salvation?

Is salvation earned? [ 28 Answers ]

I was once told via an indirect, that there were Christians who expected to be saved by riding on the backs of those who heeded Jesus' instructions to preach the Gospel. I have also observed many Christians literally breaking their necks to be in good standing with God by preaching, looking down on...

View more questions Search