Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    madconsumer Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Sep 25, 2006, 04:36 PM
    Another trailer dilemma
    I noticed another post on this board about not getting what they paid for!

I have much of the same problem with the same trailer manufacturer(Haulmark)! Except I took delivery of the trailer with the exception that I did not sign off on its quality, shortages, damages and let them know the bank would not issue payment until I was satisfied.

I also bought this off the internet and first off it was 5 weeks late putting me in a bind for a racing event. I made them a offer on the trailer after sending them a list and pictures of over 30 items and not listing the small nick picking things. (about 58 all together.)

They will not answer me in any way (via email) since I would keep a copy for my records and I have not called them because I feel the first one to call will be at a disadvantage. What do I do? I have a $30,000.00 trailer that I can't do anything with and it is in the way.

Any help is appreciated!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2006, 08:11 PM
    Hello:

In order to help, you need to tell us what the deal was. Right now, all I know is somebody sent you a $30,000 trailor. If you're not out any money, then move it aside and somebody will contact you - or not, but what do you care if you didn't pay for it?

If you ARE out some money, tell us about it.

excon

Sep 26, 2006, 03:17 AM
    I ordered this trailer and paid a $3,000.00 deposit in order to get it built.

They promised it in 10 weeks! It came 5 weeks late and has been sitting here a week today. The delivery time was the main thing since I still had to rig it out with a generator, toolbox, and other needed items to be able to attend racing events. I also paid $1,400 extra to get it yellow which the individual sheets do not match each other. When the contract driver delivers it to me it is in such poor shape and quality the driver points out items as my wife and I are checking it out.

They did not even installed d-rings in the floor which is needed to tie down my car and tow vehicle. They want me to install some d-rings and use it but I will not even hook up to it fearing if I did they would say that I used it so what is the big deal. Yes it is functional after some work but with the workmanship of this trailer the depreciation will be huge right off the bat.

I have only 2 weeks till the event in San Antonio which I have been working for all year. No-one will get in contact with me and it is ticking me off. I also have it parked at my business which is impeding the traffic of vehicles I work on since I will not pull it to my house.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 26, 2006, 06:03 AM
    There is really not a lot we can advise here. We don't know what was in the contract. Was the delivery date written down? Was there anything about penalities for late delivery? Were color and special enhancements (the D-Rings) written into the contract?

Basically you ordered something and accepted delivery (conditionally?). But are not happy with what you received. Your options are return the item for a refund or sue the company to honor the contract.
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2006, 07:07 AM
    Hello again, mad:

Look, we want to help. If you give us the specific details written in the contract - or better yet - print the whole thing out and post it for us to peruse. Then tell us who did what and when. Don't leave anything out. WITHOUT that, no advice is going to be worth a hoot.

I will close with ONE bit of advice. No matter who screwed who, if you USE it or MODIFY it, you're going to OWN it.

excon

PS> By the way, your idea about being disadvantaged by calling first, is BUNK! The person disadvantaged is the one who lied and cheated.

Sep 26, 2006, 09:52 AM
    I ordered this over the phone! The only thing exchanged was the $3,000.00 in a credit card withdrawal. All the items were discussed over the phone. No contract was signed or papers sent back and forth.

I went through one of their dealers and never got to talk to the factory until I would not sign off on the trailer.

I had the remainder noted at the bank but they would not continue until word from myself. They are telling me that they will take the trailer and give me my deposit back but I have been able to get in contact with them over verify it with my credit card.

What they want to do is to have me take the trailer use it then send it back to them for repairs but I cannot do this in fear of what excon said about the you use it you own it. I know I sound like a whiny baby but I planned all this in advance so as to have plenty of time to make preparations.

Maybe I should have asked for a contract but it was not brought up at any time.
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2006, 10:23 AM
    Hello again:

All right! We're making progress. The first stop is the credit card company. You are protected against fraud. Call 'em up immediately.

If you don't want this trailor, don't touch it.

Quote Originally Posted by madconsumer

I had the remainder noted at the bank but they would not continue until word from myself. They are telling me that they will take the trailer and give me my deposit back but I have been able to get in contact with them over verify it with my credit card.
    I have no idea what that means. Do you mean that you had $27,000 in the bank ready to be paid to them, but the bank was waiting for you? Verify your card?? What are you talking about?? Plus, you said you haven't talked to the sellers, but you have instructions from them??

Still a lot of holes and gaps - not enough info. Keep trying.

excon

Sep 26, 2006, 12:08 PM
    I paid with a credit card! If they return my deposit it will be back to the credit card. If they want to pick up the trailer then when I see that it is credited on my credit card account I will release the trailer.

Haulmark Trailers talked to me on 2 occasions telling me that they would send the parts that was shorted and I could have them installed locally and go on and use the trailer. They want me to pay the remainder of the balance at this time and when the trip is over send the trailer 900 + miles and let the repair the trailer. A lot of the repairs will take the disassembly of some major items. I feel that once I pay the balance I am at their mercy and will end up with what they see fit for me to have.

I am sorry this is so complicated! I just was wanting to know what my rights were as a consumer if I did not receive what I was promised. The trailer looks as if it was manufactured with left over scrap parts. If this is what I am going to have to except at this price I see no other option but to send it back. I feel it is not in my control what their schedule is, the talent of their employees or the efficiency of their quality control which supposedly they kept for 2 days.
    hader Posts: 22, Reputation: 3

Jan 3, 2007, 11:57 AM
    If You haven't Contested the charges already with the CC Co. it's too late now. As Ex Said don't touch Trailer no matter how long it takes (almost a year for us).

Jan 3, 2007, 04:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by madconsumer
    I noticed another post on this board about not getting what they paid for!

I have much of the same problem with the same trailer manufacturer(Haulmark)! Except I took delivery of the trailer with the exception that I did not sign off on its quality, shortages, damages and let them know the bank would not issue payment until I was satisfied.

I also bought this off the internet and first off it was 5 weeks late putting me in a bind for a racing event. I made them a offer on the trailer after sending them a list and pictures of over 30 items and not listing the small nick picking things. (about 58 all together.)

They will not answer me in any way (via email) since I would keep a copy for my records and I have not called them because I feel the first one to call will be at a disadvantage. What do I do? I have a $30,000.00 trailer that I can't do anything with and it is in the way.

Any help is appreciated!
    Well I couldn't quite get the advice that I needed in my case so I called a lawyer and asked him what my options were. He informed me that a charged could be disputed due t many reasons for a number of years.

I just called the factory and kept going up the ladder with my complaints and threats. Since I had their trailer and the only had my $3,000.00 I had them over a barrel. They said they would refund my deposit but they wanted to bring me the trailer back for my approval and hoped I would purchase it. They even assured me they would be able to me the deadline that I had set for my trip.

Well with all things said and done it was more overwhelming than they thought and could not get it back to me and I had no choice but to tell them to eat it.

I have since bought a used trailer and one that is a little smaller in size. I hope that this helps anyone that uses credit cards for such things and think they have no rights.

Thanks

Madconsumer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Miller trailer furnace problem [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: I have a Miller oil furnace in my garage that burns very dark orange and sooty. It also keeps burning inside after the unit shuts down. I have replaced the nozzle twice with no change. The flue from the top of the unit all the way through the roof is clear. Any ideas??

Download a movie trailer [ 2 Answers ]

There is a movie trailer I want for a school asessment (it has a certain part I want) but it can just be viewed, not downloaded to my computer. Is there anyway I could get it off the net for my own use? Jerry

Trailer hitch [ 4 Answers ]

I have a used truck with an odd trailer hitch receiver which is 1&7/8 inch rather than the usual 1&1/2 or 2 inch receiver & am looking to find where I can purchase a 1&7/8 inch insert bar (the part that actually holds the hitch ball). Any help would be appreciated.

Guess this movie trailer track. [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, This is a stretch but I will give it a try. Looking for the name of a classical piece that is used in quite a few movie trailers and movie soundtracks. It has a "choir" influence and starts slow and builds. Kind of like the "Glory" soundtrack with the boys Choir from Harlem. It may have also...

Music in trailer for Dangerous Beauty [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know the name of the song that is playing during the preview for Dangerous Beauty on the Dangerous Beauty DVD. Any help is much appreciated. I thought it might be something by Enya. Oh, if you know the artist that would be great too.

View more questions Search