Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mike1622 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2009, 10:47 AM
    Fixed my flipper with super glue
    Hello,

I need a little help. I broke a tooth on my flipper while traveling Europe today. I put it back in with super glue to temporarily solve the problem. I have two questions: 1) I will be in Paris, France and I need to contact a good cosmetic dentist there to fix or replace this one, and I have no idea how to do that. Do you know of any international cosmetic dentist catalog online? 2) Is it bad to use super glue to fix them, can it be harmful?

Thank you for any help,
    Sincerely,
    Michael Keeling
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2009, 12:18 PM

Hi Michael,

Why do you need a cosmetic dentist to fix a flipper? You need to find a dental laboratory or denturist.
    I'm not sure how toxic super glue is but I've heard of many who have had to do quick repairs while travelling and have used it. The secret is not to touch it or put it in your mouth until the glue has set!

Enjoy your trip!
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2009, 12:23 PM

The glue is not harmful but it will not hold for very long. What will happen next is it will break again and you will glue again and again. Until you have a build-up of super glue.

As Flossie, said you don't specifically need a cosmetic dentist to repair it.
    mike1622 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2009, 12:44 PM
    Thank you to those who replied. I will look into a dental lab. Instead of a cosmetic dentist who just sends the molds off anyway. Also, good to know super glue won't kill me
    Thank you,
    Mike
    MSUTurf Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2012, 04:40 PM
    Ok here is the deal. If you repair a flipper with supper glue your dentist or whom ever will not be able to repair it. Obviously your best choice is to take it in and have it repaired by them, if this isn't an option, SUPER GLUE DOES WORK. Yes you heard correctly it does work. The trick is to take the flipper out and follow these steps. 1. Dry the flipper and tooth VERY well (use a blow dryer on the cool air setting) 2. Use as little of super glue as possible. 3. Apply the glue on the seam you want to not use very much on the top of the flipper or the sides if it builds up there you won't be able to fit the flipper back in your mouth. 4. Apply pressure to the tooth and flipper holding it together. 5. Dry using the blow dryer on the cool setting again. 6 Leave it out of your mouth for about 15 minutes.
    When you put you flipper back in it won't fit exactly the same and yes there will be a strange taste but it will be repaired.
    I did this with my flipper and it worked just fine.
    Good Luck
    bentleymorgan Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2012, 07:03 PM
    Thank you I think I'm saveed but I'm scard to tell my mom that my tooth is off because I just! Got this flipper last week and I'm so clumps and I'm not sure I have superglue and are you sure youur reatainer is okay still?
    PumpkinBerry Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2012, 02:42 AM
    Thank you very much for sharing this. Tonight my dog decided to chew on my flipper and broke it in 3 pieces. After my panic attack and almost ready to kill my dog I found your post, so thank you thank you again. Your steps saved my flipper and my dog :) she thanks you too.
    wdc916 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2013, 12:53 PM
    Thankfully I found this post after mistakenly leaving my flipper in my shirt pocket and running it through the washer, breaking it into three pieces. After being sick about the thought of having to replace it and the cost, I started searching the Internet where I got two pieces of useful information from this thread.

First is to seek out a "dental lab" instead of going through my dentist which marks everything up.

Second most important thing that was confirmed by the dental lab technician in his words "thank God you didn't try to use super glue, I could not repair it if you did".

The lab was able to take three pieces (which included a single tooth broken off and the flapper broken in half) and to reassemble it using special adhesives, rebuffing and other procedures and it's as good as new for $100 and 1 1/2 hours of my time which is a fraction of the original $600 cost from my dentist.

There were several stages of repairing it, starting with temporarily gluing it together, then making an impression which aligned all the parts exactly, breaking it back apart and then using the impression line everything up perfectly while gluing it back together using special compounds, before buffing and smoothing everything back out.
    wdc916 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2013, 06:34 PM
    A quick follow-up to my previous post. After speaking with the dental lab technician, the material used to repair the flipper was not a glue but actually the acrylic material used to build the mouthpiece of the flipper. According to the technician to repair should be 90% as strong as the original and there are no visible lines were the fracture was fused back together
    churchldy37 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2013, 08:24 PM
    To wdc916

I live in Elk Grove, Ca and in need of my flipper tooth fixed. Where did you go to the Dental Lab? I need help.

Thank you,

Annette

[email protected]
    churchldy37 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2013, 08:25 PM
    O wdc916

I live in Elk Grove, Ca and in need of my flipper tooth fixed. Where did you go to the Dental Lab? I need help.

Thank you,

Annette

[email protected]

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Using super glue on filling? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a filling that keeps popping out. I am waiting to get into a new dentist and don't know how much longer I can hang on to this filling and pushing it back in!! The tooth is pretty bad off, damaged that is. I am curious, can I use super glue to keep it adhered inside the tooth until I get to...

Super glue from leather sofa [ 5 Answers ]

Hello I was wondering if anyone would have any ideas on how to remove super glue on a leather sofa? A very small amount was dripped on it and Im not sure how to get it off without ruining the leather. Thank you

Best glue to use [ 6 Answers ]

I make books with little sayings in them. I'm a bit of a novice at this, however, I have sold a few. I like working with stick glue if it is something small and not too complicated. But I use the glue called, "YES" for larger, more heavy duty projects. I like the glue but find it very sticky...

Appropriate glue [ 13 Answers ]

I have been doing a craft project that I need to glue a coiled piece of 20 gauge wire to the handle of cutlery (stainless steel) I cannot seem to find a glue that will hold. Please advise.

Super Shy in a Super Social environment [ 8 Answers ]

I am an 18 year old, Canadian Boy My problem is that I am a very shy person when it comes to speaking with adults, strangers, authorities, and for the most part all girls. The type of people I surround myself with are the so called popular group. Having all my friends in the popular group leaves...

View more questions Search