Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Inaru Posts: 76, Reputation: 4

May 7, 2009, 09:33 AM
    Letting my bunny play outside
    Is it all right to be letting my bunny outside when the weather is nice? I usually bundle him up in a small pet collar (the kind that buckles together in two places, around the neck and stomach) and tie him to a long, thin leash.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 7, 2009, 09:57 AM

Of course it's okay for bunny to play outside. Just make sure to keep an eye out while he's on the leash, just to make sure he doesn't get tangled up.

Also, if he's on grass, make sure that the lawn hasn't been fertilized. Your bunny will eat the grass and weeds and fertilizer can kill him if it's ingested.
    Inaru Posts: 76, Reputation: 4

May 7, 2009, 10:02 AM

Thanks. I was just making sure it wasn't harmful for him to eat too much grass or something crazy like that. :] or fleas...
    Pets Expert

May 7, 2009, 10:03 AM

Bunny's are pretty good about not eating more then they should. They have an amazing digestive system. :)

As for fleas, it depends on where you live. Just keep an eye out, check your bunny regularly. :)
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 7, 2009, 10:26 AM

Rabbits are outside animals... I know Alty is going to disagree with me but you don't see many wild rabbits running into people houses :p

Mine love being outside, even if they do eat more grass than they do run around...

I also use a push mower to mow my lawns so there isn't any petrol/gas residue :)
    Pets Expert

May 9, 2009, 11:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Rabbits are outside animals... I know Alty is gonna disagree with me but you don't see many wild rabbits running into people houses :p

Mine love being outside, even if they do eat more grass than they do run around...

I also use a push mower to mow my lawns so there isn't any petrol/gas residue :)
    I don't disagree at all Shaz, bunny's are outdoor animals. Sadly, where I live, there's only a few month a year that it's actually warm enough for the bunnies to be outside.

Even with the best hutch money can buy, -40 degrees celsius is way too cold.

During the spring and summer months my bunnies spend a lot of time outside. :)
    Uber Member

May 9, 2009, 11:36 AM

Aww thanks Alty :)
    I thought you were Anti-bunnies being outside, must have read something wrong! :o

It gets pretty cold here... middle of winter it can hit -2C but we cover them up at night then so they don't get the frost..

Certainly doesn't get cold enough to snow though so it's all good!

Unrelated but it reminded me of a story... You know my bunny Jack?
    A few years ago he got out of his hutch... I posted missing posters everywhere and the next day these 2 gay guys who live across the road came over and they had found him... about an hour after he went missing! They had him sleeping in the house in front of the fire, he must have thought he was in heaven...

Anyway... about 6 months later we noticed in the paddock next the their house there were little grey rabbits with lop ears running about... He ha a bit of fun duing his escape!!
    Pets Expert

May 9, 2009, 11:41 AM

I'm on the fence about indoor versus outdoor. It depends on the climate you live in, whether there are predators around, lots of different things.

I prefer indoor because I can interact with them more, also because here it's just to darn cold during the winter.

The problem that I have with outdoor is that most people tend to forget about their bunnies if they are outdoors. Water freezes, escape is easier, predators lurk, etc. etc. But, if the person is an experienced rabbit owner, knows what to look out for, then I'm all for outdoor bunnies.

Most people aren't experienced rabbit owners though. Therein lies the problem.

I've seen pictures of your bunny enclosure Shaz. I'm so happy that you have bunny's, I know that your fur babies are well cared for and loved. :)
    Uber Member

May 9, 2009, 11:48 AM

Aww thanks Alty :) *big hugs*

And yes, I agree with you, I can't stand those tiny little hutches... they just put their rabbit in there and throw them some food...
    Some people don't think about the weather either... I mean I only put a big piece of shade cloth over mine but it keeps the nasty weather and morning ice out.

I'll post some pics when the bunny mansion is finished!

It's a 2x2 meter pen that's a little over a meter high (tall enough for me to just bend over a bit to get in there) and at the back I'm going to make some multi level bits for them to get off the ground plus the back half of Doras old 2 story hutch will will fit nicely inside..

oh yes... I have plans lol
    Pets Expert

May 9, 2009, 11:50 AM

I can't wait to see the pictures Shaz.

I've got big outdoor bunny hutch plans this year too. I'm building them a castle!

This is going to take a while, but I'll post pics when I'm done too.

They'll still be indoors during the winter, but spring and summer they'll be outdoor bunny's during the day, brought in at night. :)
    Uber Member

May 9, 2009, 12:01 PM

Yep, that's the best way to do it :)
    Especially in Polar bear and igloo land :p
    Pets Expert

May 9, 2009, 12:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Yep, that's the best way to do it :)
    Especially in Polar bear and igloo land :p
    LMAO! When I told Sneezy that there aren't polar bears in my neck of the woods, he was crushed. No igloos either, or penguins. Poor kid, I totally squished all his illusions.

We do have bunny's though, and plenty of them, mostly thanks to me. ;)
    Uber Member

May 9, 2009, 12:29 PM

What because you and your husband go at it like rabb... to far? :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

When I tried to play a tmp files with window media player, it says"Windows Media Play [ 3 Answers ]

When I tried to play a tmp files with window media player, it says"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file." What can I do to play this file?

What does BUNNY mean? [ 8 Answers ]

My name is Bunny, I do not know its meaning. Tell

My bunny again. [ 5 Answers ]

So well... My rabbit is pulling out a lot of fur, and making a nest with it, SHE IS NOT PREGNANT, as she hasn't been around a male for at least 4 months. Im not worried about the whole nest thing, its about how much hair she is taking out! Half her cage is complete hair! Also I don't know if I...

View more questions Search