Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Veronica Walker Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2009, 07:41 AM
    Accident on Private Property
    I live in Ontario and I would like to know what the laws are for an accident that occurs on private property. If someone was rear ended on private property which in this case is a driveway leading out of a shopping centre not at all a roadway. Is there a 24 or 48 hour period in which a claim and report must be made. And, if after this time has elapsed can you still have someone charged or make a claim with insurance.

Thanks,
    Veronica
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 7, 2009, 04:45 PM

You can't have someone charged. Only the Police can file charges against people.

This is an insurance matter and the sooner you report it, the better.

Whether the accident happened on private property or not does not matter - it's a motor vehicle accident, covered by insurance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Accident on Private Property [ 6 Answers ]

I was involved in a car accident when I was visiting another persons house. Someone backed out of the garage and hit my car that was parked in the drive. I was on there property so they are telllin me its my fault. We didn't contact the police because I thought we were all friends and we could...

Accident on private property [ 8 Answers ]

First, sorry if this is in the wrong spot! Ok, so some months back I backed into someone on a private parking lot. My fault I was totally willing to pay for the damage (it wasn't that big so I figured couple hundred probably at most). Well the guy calls police and he comes out. They happen to...

Accident on private property [ 2 Answers ]

If my car was backed into on private property, do I have to report it to the cops? Or can we exchange insurance information and handle it with out the cops?

Private Property Accident [ 10 Answers ]

I recently rear ended a car in a parking lot. It was private property and an officer was called, filled out a report, but said that the report would not be turned in to the DMV and no tickets were issued. He said he just wrote the report to speed up the process of switching information and whether...

Car accident on private property [ 4 Answers ]

Hello. I was involved in a car accident. It was 9 PM, dark. I was backing of my driveway and hit a car that was parked on the street in my subdivision. The police came and determine that is my fault. The officer suggested that we can just exchange insurance information and there is no need of...

View more questions Search