Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    20andcounting Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2009, 11:00 PM
    Bank account levy in Texas child support case
    How can I find out if the Texas AG filed a levy against my bank accounts in Texas because of past due child support? I just recently moved to Texas and every time I deposit a check into my checking account it takes almost 10days to get it cleared... while my wife's checks into her own account take only a day or two...

Background-I have never been behind on child support. My ex-wife lied to the courts in order to get a garnishment and extra money for back support. After going to court it was found I did NOT owe this money. I did receive a letter from the Texas AG stating if I did not dispute the arreages within 30 days it would be reported to the credit bureau, a lien put against my properties, a levy on bank accounts etc... but I contacted them within 2 days of receiving the letter, later went to court and proved my innocence and I was told that none of this would then take place.

Two months after court I began searching online and found out that the state HAD INDEED put a lien on my properties BEFORE THEY EVER SENT ME THE LETTER!. when I discovered this, I checked my credit report and ALSO found that they had reported this to the credit bureaus BEFORE THEY EVER SENT ME THE LETTER! Eventually I was able to get the lien released (although it's still a public record online with social security number, driver's license number, date of birth, full home address and full name) and two credit bureaus changed the debt to PAID... which of course, is NOT the same as IT WAS NEVER OWED... but the state of Texas would not change that...

Because I live out of the country until 2008, I didn't have a bank account here... now I am starting to think they indeed also put a levy on my accounts, but because I am current, they don't garnish my account... yet, every time I deposit ANY money into my account, the bank puts a hold on it...

I eventually just canceled my bank account here, as it was becoming a nightmare to deposit money, etc... but living here, it is obviously more convenient to have an account in a local bank...
    tombradfordjr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2010, 07:43 PM
    The State Of Texas grabs any money that they can grab. It is then up to you to prove that they should not of. If you have any IRS money coming to you they will hold any refunds for 6 months they do not give it to the mother for the 6 month period for that is how long the State Of Texas says they must hold the money. Same thing on garassment the State will grab the money and then hold it until they are required by law to give it to the mother of your children. This can take up to one year. That is what the State of Texas law allows on cases like these. They have you from every angle. You need a bank account to buy clothes and food, but they are in control of your money at all times they can take it out of your bank account at anytime for any reason. Sure glad we live in a country that has freedom. God Bless America.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Levy on bank account in Texas [ 18 Answers ]

One of my creditors called and informed me that they were going to sue me for the debt I have of 3,700. I don't work and they have informed me that is they sue and they get a default judgement on me that they can put a levy on my bank account of which my husbands income is directly deposited. I...

Lien on bank account for child support [ 5 Answers ]

I just found out that there is a lien against my bank account for child support. How can this be? I am the primary account holder on this account. The person that owes childsuport is just on the account. Will the lien be raised from my account.

Child Support Levy On My Savings Account, How Could This Happen? [ 2 Answers ]

I woke up this morning and noticed that $3,600 was missing from my savinings account that my wife and I share. We are in the process of moving so we have been saving to do this. I have always paid and have never been late on payments. I'm sure your wondering why I have a balance to owe then. ...

Bank account garishment for child support [ 1 Answers ]

Can they take every penny out of your account and put you in a negative. Thank you This is in Ohio

View more questions Search