Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shadykorn Posts: 50, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2009, 07:15 PM
    When person shoplifts and gets away but store gets license plate number what happens
    3 months ago my cousin stole books from a store, and he said alarm went off and they saw him walk out and get in his car. If they for his plate numbers and choose to press charges what would happen ? He has not heard anything from police and he called courts and they don't have any warrant for him... he is also on probation and wonders if his PO would have known if they were pursuing him
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2009, 12:37 PM

If someone didn't show up on the doorstep with a badge in the first few days, chances are no one knows/cares.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2009, 01:04 PM

Yeah, they must have not written it down or made a mistake on the license plate number cause it can be easily connected back to an address by the police.
    Sunflowers Posts: 218, Reputation: 23

May 7, 2009, 01:28 PM

They probably need more than just a plate number and an alarm. In order for a conviction they'd need video or witnesses and other evidence. The police probably won't arrest someone that can't be convicted.

May 7, 2009, 01:35 PM

So if store wanted to press charges police would go to question suspect or just put out warrant or summons for them..

May 7, 2009, 01:46 PM

You can never predict what the police will do...

May 7, 2009, 01:47 PM
    Oh, forgot ~tell your cousin not to shoplift anymore. Its really a dumb thing to do!

May 7, 2009, 02:06 PM

Yea I told him , but I don't get it, if they were going to charge him they would send summons , show up to question him , or put out warrant ? And his PO wouldve known right

May 7, 2009, 02:12 PM
    Checking warrants at local courthouse
    I went to my local courthouse today to ask if I had any unpaid fines from years ago and fortunatly I did not , but if I had a warrant for anything else besides the fines would it have popped up on their computer ? Like if I had charges pressed on me for something else and never was notified for it...
    Would they have seen it when they ran my name

May 7, 2009, 02:13 PM

Yes. He probably got away with it.

May 7, 2009, 02:15 PM

So they probably would have to question him before they charged him for it ? They wouldn't just put out warrant or summons..

May 7, 2009, 02:18 PM

Yea shady they would have, like say for instance if you had shoplifted but got away. Say you were in a bookstore (just an example) and you took a couple books and the alarm went off as you ran out to your car. A store employee followed you out and got your license plate number... and low and behold there WAS a warrant issued for that, they would have nabbed you today.

May 7, 2009, 02:25 PM

No they are probably setting up a sting operation. You are probably being watched right now.

If you don't do stupid things you don't have to worry about getting caught and getting away but seen and then what?

No one can tell for sure what is going to happen because we don't know really what kind of evidence the store has. Usually the person has to be caught read handed at the scene or fleeing the scene for shoplifing charges. Chances are you or your cousin got away this time. I hope if either of you ever even thinks about stealing anything again you have a full blown panic attack, just thinking about it!

Be a good person from now on.

May 7, 2009, 02:25 PM

Or they would have sent a summons I guess ?

May 7, 2009, 02:28 PM

Did you get a summons?

May 7, 2009, 04:43 PM

No I didn't . I just don't understand why sometimes they send summons or sometimes they put out warrants. Is a summons just to go to court, and a warrant is only if you don't answer a summons... and in this situation wouldn't you have to be notified if you were to be charged or questioned first...
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 7, 2009, 04:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shadykorn View Post
    no i didnt . i just dont understand why sometimes they send summons or sometimes they put out warrants. is a summons just to go to court, and a warrant is only if you dont answer a summons...........and in this situation wouldnt you have to be notified if you were to be charged or questioned first.....
    A summons is to appear in court. A warrant is for your arrest.

May 7, 2009, 05:06 PM

J_9 is right.

If you'd be a little more honest we could probably give you more specific answers that more closely pertain to your specific situation.

There are a number of reasons people are summonsed to court.

May 7, 2009, 06:04 PM

What do you mean be more honest . I told you what happened.

May 7, 2009, 06:07 PM

OK I thought maybe you and your cousin might really be the same person. I'm not trying to accuse you of anything, just trying to make sure I understand what you are asking.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Mercedes E320/License plate ideas! [ 7 Answers ]

Okay so I am thinking about buying a Mercedes Benz E320.. does anyone have a car & have problems with this model?? & I also need a cute license plate idea to personalize my plates. Below are some of my interests. BLH--initials Beach Shopping Blonde Love Pink... Just something cute &...

Vanity License Plate [ 1 Answers ]

How much are 2 "09OBAMA" California vanity personal license plates worth?

GM truck license plate bulbs [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how to change the license plate bulbs on a 1998 GMC Jimmy? They don't appear to be accessible from the bottom. What's the secret?

View more questions Search