Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sunflowers Posts: 218, Reputation: 23

May 8, 2009, 07:08 PM

Yes there is a process. I don't promote shoplifting. It is a common thing to do but if you think about the consequences (and I can see you are thinking about that) you can see why it is a really bad idea. When your cousin got away the "process" was interrupted. When someone gets arrested for shoplifting, the normal process is that they are nabbed just inside or just outside the store and held by security until the police arrive and arrest them. If they get away the process is interrupted and more often than not, the process stops. If you have this much anxiety about legal consequences how could you ever have broken the law? The police are not going to bring your cousin in for questioning. Shoplifting is not a crime that usually gets investigated like a murder... however it is a crime and if you ask me it is a really bad crime.

May 8, 2009, 07:18 PM

Shady... why not call the court house or wherever it is you checked for past fines, ask anonymously whether they have access to and use NCIC to do checks when someone comes in wondering about any problems that may be in their past. That would be free and if you really wanted to be shady about it, you could call from a pay phone :)
    shadykorn Posts: 50, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2009, 08:13 PM

Good idea, and if they say yes then what , I have to give them his name?

May 8, 2009, 08:17 PM

Well when he did it , he was on drugs , not an exscuse just trying to tell you drugs make people do desperate things, and I've told him this and he is doing better now. Anyway he just thinks that they saw his license plates and wouldve reported him since alarm went off and they saw him walk out... maybe they didn't get his plates or just aren't bothering since it was only couple books, but he still is scared to go back to jail. He is almost off probation and wants to get life back on track so he wishes he could know how to put this behind him.

May 8, 2009, 08:23 PM

I think he has a good chance of it all being behind him if he keeps his head on straight from now on and doesn't make any stupid mistakes. Drugs can cause people to do stupid things they wouldn't otherwise do, shoplifting being one of them. How much longer before probation is over?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 8, 2009, 08:24 PM

Why doesn't your cousin simply go to the Police Station and ask if there's a warrant? If there is he needs to get things straightened out before he violates probation.

The original question has been asked and answered - and answered - and answered.

May 8, 2009, 08:59 PM

And the police aren't going to wonder why he thinks he may have a warrant?!

May 8, 2009, 09:00 PM

In August its over... but even though its been 3 months since he did it he is still really worried that they could just be taking awhile to get around to it or just haven't notified him

May 8, 2009, 09:21 PM

*sigh* Ok they are not waiting to spring it on him at the last minute. Did he have a court appointed lawyer for whatever it is he is on probation for? What is it that he needs to do in order to relieve his fears? If he can answer that, that is what he should do because all this speculation is just going to give you both nightmares!
    I hope the 2 of you have a brighter and sunnier future :)

May 8, 2009, 09:31 PM

Umm,, he could tell them he thought he might have had a parking ticket he forgot about long ago.. Might work?
    Uber Member

May 8, 2009, 09:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shadykorn View Post
    And the police arent gonna wonder why he thinks he may have a warrant???!?!!!?!?

Again - I pull records, check records all the time. Never once have the Police asked me why - never once.

So, no, the Police aren't "gonna wonder" why he thinks he is asking. People applying to be bonded, applying for professional licenses, concerned about identity theft check their records all the time. They aren't asked about it, either.

May 8, 2009, 09:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Again - I pull records, check records all the time. Never once have the Police asked me why - never once.

So, no, the Police aren't "gonna wonder" why he thinks he is asking. People applying to be bonded, applying for professional licenses, concerned about identity theft check their records all the time. They aren't asked about it, either.
    Didn't think about that, its true. They shouldn't wonder, they don't care :)

May 9, 2009, 04:08 AM

So he would have to go to the police station and say "can you run my name to check warrants " and they would do it ? And this is different than court clerk looking him up in computer ? Is there a way to do it online if he is scared to go to police station

May 9, 2009, 04:10 AM

Well maybe he shouuld just forget it and it will be OK...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 9, 2009, 04:41 AM

First of course the court house is not where you go to check,
    If they want to really know you merely go to the police department that does background checks. It is a common everyday practice for people to get checks done for job, I have had to get my own done twice this year

May 9, 2009, 04:52 AM

So you don't think he would have been notified if the store intended to pursue him ?

May 9, 2009, 04:57 AM

Or that his PO would have got him ? I'm sure he is scared to go to polcie station being on probation and all
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 9, 2009, 05:43 AM

PO may ( or may not) check computer on their people a couple time of years. But if he is scared to merely go into a police station ( OK here they have even like drive up windows or what look like bank teller windows inside)
    And ask for a simple background search that is done by dozens of people every day . He has serious issues of being scared for a lot of wrong reasons.

In the end, he can worry and be scared and doubt and always worry about who is knocking on the door, or he can merely go check
    Uber Member

May 9, 2009, 06:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shadykorn View Post
    So he would have to go to the police station and say "can you run my name to check warrants " and they would do it ? and this is different than court clerk looking him up in computer ? is there a way to do it online if he is scared to go to police station

Time to combine both treads and close the subject. The person posting cannot possibly still be not understanding and I believe we have a troll.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 9, 2009, 06:08 AM

I've merged the two threads.

Your questions have been answered to the best of our ability. Please stop reasking. We aren't psychic so we don't know what the store or the police are thinking.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Mercedes E320/License plate ideas! [ 7 Answers ]

Okay so I am thinking about buying a Mercedes Benz E320.. does anyone have a car & have problems with this model?? & I also need a cute license plate idea to personalize my plates. Below are some of my interests. BLH--initials Beach Shopping Blonde Love Pink... Just something cute &...

Vanity License Plate [ 1 Answers ]

How much are 2 "09OBAMA" California vanity personal license plates worth?

GM truck license plate bulbs [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how to change the license plate bulbs on a 1998 GMC Jimmy? They don't appear to be accessible from the bottom. What's the secret?

View more questions Search