Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Georgia in MS Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2006, 10:36 AM
    Grass Catcher Clogging
    Hi!

I have a new Troy Bilt Super Bronco (60TG) rider that I have cut grass with about five times. I have tried using the grass catcher that I bought with the mower and each time, the grass clippings get clogged right at the chute's connection to the mower. I have tried cutting the grass when it is dry and riding really slow and it still clogs. I don't know how to check to see if the blade is balanced.

I usually cut the grass in the lowest setting so I don't have to cut grass all the time :rolleyes: (grass grows fast here in the hot, humid South). I'm wondering if that may be the problem. If the blade is too low to the ground, does that prevent the blade from being able to kick the grass into the chute correctly to prevent clogging. And, if the grass gets over a certain height, does that cause problems? Is it unrealistic to expect it not to clog?

Also, over the years of using grass catchers, could you pass along what tips you have learned (sort of like Grass Catchers 101). I gave up on mine after the third time and took my grass catcher off. It's just sitting in the workshop.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2006, 03:36 AM
    Try some cooking spray on it... (the cooking spray to be environmental) wd-40 to liquid wrench will do.
    raiderstrckr Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2007, 10:55 PM
    Number one if your blade was off balance ,it vibrate very ruff and possibly start nicking the deck. Also blades stay pretty well balanced even if home sharpened.And if the blade wasn't balanced it would tear the lawn and leave patch's in the lawn not cut right. Number two,if you don't cut the lawn reagerly and just once in a while. It will bog down most mowers with cutting and catching. Take a couple of passes on deferent hight's and you will see a deference in catching of clippings Number three, if the blade is to low it will just scalp the lawn and bog the motor down. Number four, in fifteen years of lawn care I have tried everything in tricks, for the lawn not to get stuck in the shut. Best is to mow regearly and with dry lawn. GOOD LUCK

Jan 3, 2007, 11:06 PM
    Hey! Thanks for the comments (though I think the cooking spray one must be a joke).

What I've learned through experimenting:

Yes, the yard must be absolutely dry (hard to accomplish living near the Gulf of Mexico).
    The blade must be high up - not on the lowest setting.
    You have to ride very slow; if I pick up speed, it is guaranteed to clog.

On days when it is questionable if it is really dry enuf - I cut the grass and then go back and ride again to vacuum up the grass (though my yard has about 4 different types of grass, so the whole yard does not HAVE to be vacuumed! ). Maybe this summer, I'll learn a better combination to stop the duplicate work.

Georgia
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Jan 4, 2007, 10:16 AM
    The cooking spray is a tried and proven method. Any obstructions in the mower deck allows the grass to build up underneath. In the end you need to keep the blades sharp and balanced (rider decks have bearings in the spindles that will fail without proper balancing) Keep the deck clean with whatever method works for you, go slow and never cut more than 1/3 of the overall grass length

Riders typically have large mowing decks and any real bagging ability is difficult to achieve. If bagging is necessary as opposed to mulching, try a rider with one blade and a smaller mowing deck, this will probably give you the performance you are looking for.

Good Luck,
    Don
    Buckeye98 Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

May 22, 2007, 08:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Georgia in MS
    Hi!

I have a new Troy Bilt Super Bronco (60TG) rider that I have cut grass with about five times. I have tried using the grass catcher that I bought with the mower and each time, the grass clippings get clogged right at the chute's connection to the mower. I have tried cutting the grass when it is dry and riding really slow and it still clogs. I don't know how to check to see if the blade is balanced.

I usually cut the grass in the lowest setting so I don't have to cut grass all the time :rolleyes: (grass grows fast here in the hot, humid South). I'm wondering if that may be the problem. If the blade is too low to the ground, does that prevent the blade from being able to kick the grass into the chute correctly to prevent clogging. And, if the grass gets over a certain height, does that cause problems? Is it unrealistic to expect it not to clog?

Also, over the years of using grass catchers, could you pass along what tips you have learned (sort of like Grass Catchers 101). I gave up on mine after the third time and took my grass catcher off. It's just sitting in the workshop.
    Try a product called MowerGUARD. Go to www.mowerguard.com or SLIP PlateŽ. MowerGUARD is a unique dry film, graphite caoting that works very well.

May 23, 2007, 04:30 AM
    Thanks so much for the comments. This is so frustrating for me. I just took the grass catcher off again this season. Most of the time last season, I would cut the grass without the catcher off and then go back and "vacuum" the yard.

I hate taking it on and off - besides having to "cut" my yard twice, the strap that goes to the front of the mower and slips over the ball/bolt is so hard for me to stretch into place.

But, I love the look of my yard after I've used the grass catcher.
    igottogonow Posts: 128, Reputation: 2

May 23, 2007, 06:45 AM
    I originally had a problem similar to this and found out I had not installed a Hi Lift blade (for the lack of the official name it has a wing on the cutting edge to provide more air drive to force the grass up the shute). I still had a regular cutting blade on it.
    Iroctazz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2012, 11:16 AM
    What do you do with the kitchen

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lawn Mower Catcher Problem [ 10 Answers ]

For the last few weeks I have enoticed that the grass is not flowing back into the catcher properly - it builds up at the entrance of the catcher and then doesn't fill properly. I have cleaned it to ensure airflow is not blocked. Appreciate any tips before taking it into the repair centre.

Grass [ 2 Answers ]

I bought a new house in December and my yard is full of weeds. How do I start growing grass?

Improving my grass [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Indianapolis, In and it is February now. I have a lawn that used to be a horse pasture and it has a mixture of many kinds of weeds and grasses along with real grass of unknown kind. I want to know how to improve my grass growth and reduce my weeds and other grasses. What can I do in...

Clogging Old Toilet [ 5 Answers ]

My mother who is in her 80's lives by herself in another city where I can't monitor her dealings with tradesmen. I fear she has gotten a plumber who takes advantage of old ladies. She has had a little trouble with a clogging toilet and he is telling her that she needs a new commode because old...

View more questions Search