Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    crowingabout702 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2006, 10:05 AM
    Mold
    Hello my basement is unfished... last year we decided to put up blue stryaphone isolation over concrete walls... I am worried about mold because it is in a basement of an old farm house... if mold should grow behind the 1 inch blue styraphone is there anyway to know... thank you
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2006, 10:15 AM
    No, there will really be no way to know. But don't worry yourself. There are a zillion places in your home where mold could grow and you'd never know it. A dehumidifier will help reduce the chances of mold, but beyond that, there's really nothing to do to monitor it.
    crowingabout702 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2006, 10:18 AM
    If the mold would ever get bad lets say would it grow through the styraphome..
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2006, 10:25 AM
    I am nearly certain, no. I do not believe mold can penetrate materials like that.

A good tip to keep in mind: Bleach kills most mold... so if you ever see any, mist it (with a spray bottle) with bleach and that will kill it. Don't waste money on expensive stuff... and don't scrub or scrape it. Spray it with bleach to kill it, THEN remove the residue with a scraper... then prime and paint over the place where you saw it.
    dherman1 Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

Oct 19, 2006, 08:48 PM
    Blue or Pink foam boards are closed cell so there is no migration of moisture through it.

If you are concerned about mold, then make sure that you remove any sources of moisture from entering the house. Most moisture sources are caused by poor landscaping which allows the moisture to remain near the foundation as opposed to directing it away.

Another thing to consider is to use a vapor barrier, being sure to seal any seams.

Good Luck, Dan
    regyrich Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2007, 05:10 PM
    Using bleach will only keep mold away for a limited period. A proper antifungicidal wash should have been applied to the walls prior to styrophome being applied. Hope you checked the styrophome was fire retardent, also proper ventilation is required in the room to discourage the humid environment that mold needs to thrive on. If you intend to paint walls after treating with antifungicidal wash then I would recommend a paint called cellar paint ( dulux ) expensive , but designed just for this job.
    dreamingangei38 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2007, 10:28 AM
    I live in a old cotton mill building that was made in to apparments, my apparment is on the 3rd floor at the end where the stare way is but the is a door to the stare way, i was asked to clan up the stareway for a bit of reduction off my rent and i sweeped off white mold on the cender block wall , it was fuffly and flying in the air i know i was breathing it but was trying not to. I had been feeling bad a few days later sort of like a flu but not as bad, im going to my doctor today , is white mold bad? And cold any one give me a web site to read about it and should i call the health department? Ps my kids and other kids walk down them stare ways every day to school

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I can't live with mold [ 2 Answers ]

In live Maryland in Anne Arundel County. I moved into my apt last Oct, during the walk through I looked into the coat closet that sits in the corner of the townhome on the exterior wall and questioned the painted over ceiling that had the look of a previous mold stain and was told the problem had...

Mold from a leaK? [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently had a leaky shower faucet which we were able to repair quickly with the help of this forum! Thanks Speedball1 We had a lot of water leak down the back of the shower, soak the insulation and eventually drip across the beam until it came out through the ceiling fan. The leak...

Mold in apartment [ 12 Answers ]

I moved from Florida last November in that home I had all ceramic tile floors I am now in Pa. leasing an Apt. that has wool rugs, gas stove, window air conditioners that draw in the mold that is outside on my Apt. I would like to know if there is any way that I can break my lease because I have...

Possible mold [ 1 Answers ]

We have an eight year old home with a day light basement. I have noticed some yellow spots on the bottom of the walls in two of the closets in the basement. If this is mold what can be done?

Mold [ 1 Answers ]

What will mold the fastest? Unrefrigerated cheese or bread? And approximately how long will this process takes?

View more questions Search