Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lbrowne Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2006, 10:00 AM
    Can you paint ceramic tiles?
    I have ceramic tiles between the counter top and where the cabinets start in my kitchen. I think this is called the back wash?

I plan on changing the kitchen scheme in the near future, but removing the tile doesn't seem appealing. Are there paints that adhere to these? Even if it was textured looking I don't mind.

I plan on keeping the cabinets but changing the handles, resurfacing my countertop possibly with a counter laminate, but that back wash I'd like to keep tile just not the colour and the ugly pattern on the top tile. I'd use the thin trim tape to protect the grout so it keeps its colour...

Anyone do it?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2006, 10:13 AM
    Yes, you can paint those tiles, but you need to rough them up real good. An electric sander with 100-120 grit sandpaper will do it.

The paint job will not be as long lasting as on wood or drywall, but if you sand it well you should get several years out of it before having to re-paint it.
    JBRES25 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Sep 26, 2006, 02:14 PM
    Yes you can.
    They make paint especially for ceramic tile.
    They have air dry, and oven bake applications.
    Iv'e seen them sold on the Blick art supply website.

Pebeo porcelain 150- It needs to be baked on to adhere
    Pebeo vitrea 160- It's an air dry paint
    The price ranges vary, they have a "starter set", and a complete set.
    For glass, tile, and ceramics.

This site won't let me put the first letters of the website,
    So I'll do it this way. www.pickblick.com
    Instead of the 'P' in pick, make it a 'D'.
    Leave the word Blick where it is,
    And like I said, just change the p to D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing Ceramic Tile from concrete slab [ 2 Answers ]

I am in th process of removing ceramic tile from my back porch. We are having a pool installed and need the slab scraped clean so they can float it install acrylic deck. I was told by the contractor that the surface needed to be as smooth as possible. Removing the tile was not difficult, I...

Showers without tiles [ 6 Answers ]

I am building a shower and don't want to use tiles. The pre fab plastic showers are mostly small and or expensive. I want to build a 5'X5' shower on a pre existing concreat floor that has a drain already. Can I just pour cement and slope it with an outer curb and then paint it with waterproof...

Floor Tiles [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, My home is over 5 years old and I would like to install floor tiles, so, my question is, what do I have to do to the old concrete floor before I install the tiles. Thank you, Rhondine

Ceramic Tile Baseboard [ 1 Answers ]

Hello - I am putting in a ceramic tile floor in a bathroom and plan on cutting the tiles and using them for a baseboard. Is there a correct size that this baseboard should be? And should I put anything on the top edge of the tile to finish it off? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ceramic [ 1 Answers ]

What are ceramics?

View more questions Search