Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dvw2442 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2006, 07:52 AM
    Repairing and painting Block Foundations
    Power washing my block foundation to remove old peeling, flaking paint has left pock marks and some loss of mortar in joints. How do I repair and then what type of primer paint should I use? (Don't know what the original paint was-oil based or latex). I'd appreciate your help. Thanks.
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Sep 28, 2006, 07:40 AM
    You can patch any holes or missing joints w/ Sakrete mortar mix then you can paint it with Drylock or a paint recommened for foundations.

You can also parge your foundation (thin coat of mortar) with a parging mix (Sakrete) then paint over the parging when dried.
    dherman1 Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

Oct 19, 2006, 08:29 PM
    Another option is to use insulated foundation panels. Menards, a regional depot big box store, has advertised them for sale. I think they are 2' x 4' panels that can be cut with a knife.

They are installed using adhesives and /or mechanical fastners.

Regardless of the option you choose, make sure that you repair the mortar that is missing.

If you decide to follow SkiBergers excellent advice, allow it sufficient time to cure before you paint it. And make sure that you use paint designed for masonry. Regular housepaint doesn't breathe the way masonry paint does so it is more like to chip, blister and/or peel.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Repairing cinderblock foundation [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all. I posted this in Exterior Home Improvement but it has not received any replies. I thought it might be better suited here. My house is on a hill so the front is at level with the street and the back foundation is partly exposed. The garge is part of the basement and level with the...

Repairing cinder block foundation [ 0 Answers ]

Hi All, My house is on a hill so the front is at level with the street and the back foundation is partly exposed. The garge is part of the basement and level with the driveway. Over the years water coming down from the roof and building up behind a 2 1/2' retaining wall next to the garage has...

Foundations... Variations! I'm confused! [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: Hello, everyone! I'm just new here.. anyway, I'm glad I was able to find this site.. thank God. And I hope you can help me. It seems that whatever type of foundation I use, creams, sticks, cakes... it doesn't work for me. Sometimes it makes my skin look dry, sometimes it makes my...

Rebar in foundations [ 2 Answers ]

If you have an old foundation that does not have rebar, and you are going to tear down the existing house and rebuild. Is there a way to reinforce with rebar in the existing foundation?

Embedded pole foundations [ 0 Answers ]

I am planning a cabin for part-time use. Does a pressure-treated, embedded pole foundation save that much over a reinforced footing and concrete block? To be sure of being below the frost line, I like the footing bottom to be about 32" below grade. Your input will be appreciated. Stoker

View more questions Search