Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RCKette Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2006, 06:27 AM
    13.5 HP B/S Starting Issues
    I have a 13.5 HP Briggs & Stratton motor that after sitting for a while, will start for a second or two then shut off. I have replaced the spark plug which is getting a spark. I have checked the fuel lines which are flowing correctly and replaced the fuel filter. If I pour gasoline straight into the carb, it starts. Then of course once used it shuts off. I am assuming there is NO fuel making it into the carb because fuel is making to each location except into the carb.

I have narrowed it down to the fuel solenoid and the float I think.

Does anyone have any idea on what the problem may be?
    Thank you!
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2006, 03:38 AM
    Does the solenoid make a faint click when the key is turned to the on posistion?

Sep 26, 2006, 05:03 AM
    To be honest, I took it off to do a little more exploring. I was going to replace it anyway. Does that have to do with fuel not entering the carb?
    bubbandmargie Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2006, 06:52 PM
    I had the same problem on a chipper. I'm not sure if a 13.5 is the same but on mine there is a small plate on the side of the carb with a rubber diaphragm inside which was varnish stuck. I was able to carefully peel it off and then put it back and it runs like a charm.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2006, 07:24 PM
    13.5 should have a float type carb, not diapragm... though for your diapragm problems bubba, I'd replace it (they are pretty cheap for a carb kit) and it should run a little better then!

As for the solenoid, when the engine is off, or right when you turn the key off, it pops closed, shutting fuel off to the rest of the carb, keeping that POOF you might hear when shutting them off (the ones without) from full throttle.. its spent gas hitting the hot combustion chamber. EPA decided it was greatly needed to save that tiny drop... Now fuel will get to the carb, just the carb bowl, but not the rest of the carb (main jet)

Oct 12, 2006, 07:07 AM
    Well, thebriggsdude... I replaced the soleniod and cleaned the jets in the carb with some air and it started up without a problem.

Thanks a million!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Two issues [ 1 Answers ]

Sorry, I decided not to post... don't know how to delete threads! :)

TAX issues [ 1 Answers ]

Hey all, I Completed my Master's and currently Im working in USA on OPT. How much tax is deducted(%) frm our monthly income, while on OPT? Also what forms besides the W4, are to be filled by students on OPT?

Tub Issues [ 5 Answers ]

Hi My name is Barb, I went to take a shower this morning and had no water pressure at my tub area. The sink is fine, to toilet flushes just fine, but no water at tub. I took off the spout, I pryed off the turn handle but nothing that I see is causing my water not to POUR out. I looked at the hot...

New - gfi issues [ 8 Answers ]

I am finishing my basement... installing a GFI outlet at the beginning of the chain for some outlets... having an issue with GFI... I have the load and Line wire correctly identified and installed into the repsective places on the GFI Outlet... When I turn on the break with an device plugged...

IE issues [ 5 Answers ]

Hey, I'm new here, so I need a little help. Last Sunday, Internet Explorer stopped working (I have Win XP, as well as high-speed cable Internet BTW). So two days later, I called the cable company, and they told me to run a node test. It came out clean. Then they told me about a program called ...

View more questions Search