Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    2313stephen Posts: 65, Reputation: 3

May 6, 2009, 09:10 AM
    Alcoholic father
    My father is an alcoholic and has been for as long as I remember. My mother divorced him when I was 7years old because of his drinking. Hes always had good jobs with decent wages and managed to keep his drinking a secret from colleagues. He would drink vodka straight from the bottle and at times would be consuming a litre bottle of vodka per day. He would strongly deny his drinking even though it would be completely obvious he's drunk. He retired 3years ago and his drinking has escalated. His wife (my stepmother) left him a short while ago and he has now taken to staying in bed for days at a time drinking straight vodka. He has in the past been clean several times but the longest he has stayed off the booze is 6months. When he's sober he will freely admit how much he was drinking and all the lies he has told to try and cover up his drinking. Ive seen him go cold turkey and its not pleasant, he talks about alcohol as if it's a friend or lover and actually cries when he thinks about never consuming alcohol again. He was also prescribed antidepressants at one point which really helped him but after a couple of months he decided he didn't like the way the tablets made him feel and stopped taking them. Not long after that he was drinking again. I wonder if he has suffered some sort of breakdown because I can't get my head around him not taking calls, laying in bed drinking. What sort of life is that, no life atall. My Dad is causing so much concern and pressure to other family members but no one seems to know what to do. Please help.
    Megan2345 Posts: 239, Reputation: 8

May 6, 2009, 07:25 PM

I recommend reading the Alcoholics Annonymous Big Book. It can help you get a better understanding of what he's going through.
    2313stephen Posts: 65, Reputation: 3

May 8, 2009, 02:25 PM

Thank you, I will do that as I feel completely clueless at the moment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Alcoholic or not? [ 30 Answers ]

What do you consider an alcoholic? Someone who sleeps on a park bench with a bagged bottle? A 'respectable' citizen who drinks 3 times a week? A binge drinker? Someone who can't stop once they start? Just wondering what other people think?

Severe alcoholic [ 17 Answers ]

My boyfriend is a severe alcoholic. His father was an alcoholic, his siblings are alcoholics. We live in a town that has a terrible alcohol problem. His friends are ALL addicts of one substance or another. In the last 5 years he has been in trouble several times... ALL alcohol related. I want to...

Recovering Alcoholic [ 10 Answers ]

My boyfriend recently discovered he had a drinking problem and by trying to avoid losing me stopped drinking completely. He hasn't had a drop of alcohol in over 2 months, and he refuses to go to AA. I have noticed him depressed and we no longer sleep together. All his friends are alcoholics...

Alcoholic [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend has a drinking problem, we have been involved for almost 9 months in the beginning of this year... he quit alcohol for 2 months becoz he wanted to ask me out... I then agreed to go out with him... about 2 months into our relationship he started drinking again but not heavy... about a...

View more questions Search