Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nimisha123 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2009, 08:50 AM
    ITIN Rejected
    Hello!

I am on H4. I have submitted the necessary documents for ITIN twice (1nce were rejected as documents were not notarized by US notary).
    I have been rejected for ITIN again. What should I do as the reason is not clear, and my Husband who is on H1B is awaiting for it to file his tax returns.

Does he need to wait.

Very Thanks for your help.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 6, 2009, 12:17 PM
    Nimisha123:

The Form W-7 is required to be submitted WITH your husband's tax return, NOT by itself. Below is the process that needs to be followed:

You will need to submit Forms W-7 with your return to get an ITIN for your wife.

While the return is being prepared, you make photocopies of the FIRST page of the passport that has the picture on it. You then take these photocopies to a local bank to have them notarized, usually at no charge. If the bank will not do it, go to a local IRS office (call first to make sure they provide the service) to have the IRS officials certify the photocopy as a true copy of the passport.

You will then sign the federal return, have your wife sign the return and W-7, then staple the notarized photocopies of the passport to the W-7 and paper clip both forms to the tax return. You then mail the tax return to the IRS.

The IRS receives the W-7, issues the ITIN, inserts the ITIN on the tax return and processes the return. The IRS then mails the ITIN to you in a separate envelope. This process takes between 4 weeks and three months, depending on the workload at the ITIN processing center.
    nimisha123 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2009, 08:57 AM
    Finally, today I received mail saying that the ITIN is rejected again as documents didn't reach on time.
    My question is should I submit it once again or I should wait for next year? As I am running behind of time.
    Also, Can my spouse claim returns for this year also in next year tax returns? How about spouse's tax filing?

Wondering if there is any period for which tax returns can be claimed: like date when spouse arrived in US and date of filing returns? As I arrived in March and date to submit was 15th April.

Thanks for your time.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 18, 2009, 01:33 PM
    Nimisha123:

The documents did not reach on time? There is no time limit for filing a tax return.

Resubmit the Forms W-7 with the tax return as soon as possible.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

May 19, 2009, 12:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nimisha123 View Post
    Finally, today I received mail saying that the ITIN is rejected again as documents didn't reach on time.
    My question is should i submit it once again or i should wait for next year? As I am running behind of time.
    Also, Can my spouse claim returns for this year also in next year tax returns? how about spouse's tax filing?

Wondering if there is any period for which tax returns can be claimed: like date when spouse arrived in US and date of filing returns? As I arrived in March and date to submit was 15th April.

Thanks for your time.
    You should take professional help from AtlantaTaxExpert.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

ITIN rejected for dependent [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I am staying in the US on J-1 visa since 2005 onwards, so I assume am a resident alien for the tax purposes. Last year, 2007 my son joined with me and he was dependent for at least 9 months. He came to the US on J-2 visa status. So, I had applied for ITIN for my son and along with 2007...

ITIN for wife got rejected, should I apply again [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I was in US from Sept 07 - Feb 08 alongwith my wife and son. I was on a L1 visa. I had applied for my wife's and son's ITIN while filing returns for 2007. I received the ITIN for my son but my wife's ITIN got rejected. The reason given was "no valid tax return was accompanying th ITIN...

ITIN request rejected! [ 5 Answers ]

I came to the U.S. in October 2007 on h1b. Since I have never left MA, I filed my return as resident alien for 2008. My wife came in March 2008, then she traveled couple times between China and the U.S. Then she brought my son to MA in March 2009. I submitted W-7 for both my wife and my son....

ITIN Rejected and now want to file amended return. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1B for past 3 years and got married last September 2007 and my wife is on H4. She did not have ITIN when I filed for return in April 2008 and had to file as Single and could not claim her as dependent (as advised by my Tax Consultant). I filed ITIN for my wife and yesterday I...

The itin number got rejected! [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I am srinivasan and I'm in h1 status, I had applied itin no for my wife and son. But I had sent the tax returns to another address and w7 form to the other. So their itin got rejected and I didn't get my refunds. I am reapplying for my itin and so I wanted to know if I cana refile my taxes...

View more questions Search