Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    killazzbzz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2009, 10:47 PM
    Started mower engine without oil
    :( started my mower engine without oil!! I think my engine burned. Is it thrashed? Or can it be fixed?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2009, 09:02 PM

It depends how long you ran it. Did it freeze up?
    Add oil in crankcase first.

Take out plugs. Squirt light weight oil in cylinders and hand crank it over slowly.

If it feels free use electric start or pull handle.

After that get pistons to its highest point in the cylinder and use a clean soft rag and a screwdriver handle to wipe out excess oil.

Put plugs back in and see if it runs and how bad it may smoke or noise in the crank case.

If it does seem to run all right then change oil and filter after warm up. It may run for awhile if at all.

To answer the question the engine would need torn down and inspected
    killazzbzz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2009, 12:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 21boat View Post
    It depends how long you ran it. Did it freeze up?
    Add oil in crankcase first.

Take out plugs. Squirt light weight oil in cylinders and hand crank it over slowly.

If it feels free use electric start or pull handle.

After that get pistons to its highest point in the cylinder and use a clean soft rag and a screwdriver handle to wipe out excess oil.

Put plugs back in and see if it runs and how bad it may smoke or noise in the crank case.

If it does seem to run all right then change oil and filter after warm up. It may run for awhile if at all.

To answer the question the engine would need torn down and inspected
    :)I talked to a friend of mine that does small engine repairs and he said we will do what you suggested. Thanks :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lawn tractor with snow remover cannot be started easily and black smoke for engine [ 2 Answers ]

I have Cab Cudet LT1050. We attached a snow blower this winter. It is hard to start the engine in winter though we changed the oil and filter. After a few time uses, it started having black smoke from engine. What is wrong with it and how to fix it?

My Troy-Built Mower won't stay started [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Troy-Built Honda runned 5.5 HP 160 CC lawn mower. It is new in 2006 and we've used only once. I added gas and can start the mower. It runs for about 3 minutes and then stops. The oil is good, full tank of fresh gas, tight spark plug cap. Any ideas?

Can't get Craftsman Mower started [ 3 Answers ]

I was mowing my lawn and I hit a rock. The mower stopped and noticed it was low on gas. I filled it up and now I can't get it started! I changed the air filter, spark plug, and put in fresh gas. I've found some links saying that it might be the safety switch, but I have checked the Sears links...

Leaf Blower Engine started to smoke [ 1 Answers ]

My electric powered leaf blower started to slow down and when I unplugged it, it started to smoke through the air vents. Is the engine shot and I need a new one, or should I attempt opening it up and "taking a look?" Thanks ! Helen

View more questions Search