Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davebk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2006, 07:08 PM
    New hampton bay motor not working, lights work
    Hi -

I just installed a new hampton bay carriage house II 52" ceiling fan with light assembly (no remote; pull strings for lights and fan, and two position fan switch). I used the wiring from a previously existing ceiling light. I tested the wiring by running them to a grounded plug assembly, and using a three prong wiring tester to ensure that the wiring was properly hooked up - black, white, and ground all matched up as they should.

I hooked it up, grounded it, etc...

The lights work, but the motor just barely hums. If I spin the blades, the motor hums louder, and the fans will spin, but very slowly - maybe about 25 rpm max, and the whole time, the motor makes a loud hum. Eventually the fan stops. And the fan will NOT start unless I spin them.

I figure I need to take it back and get a replacement. BUT, I thought I'd see if anyone here had any ideas on what I might be able to do to fix it...

Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks!

Dave
    jgj6331 Posts: 153, Reputation: 19

Sep 25, 2006, 05:42 AM
    If it's new, take it back for a replacement - otherwise messing with it might void the warranty. Sounds like you got the results of Hampton Bay's stellar QC department... Consider replacing with a higher end Hunter fan.
    davebk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2006, 07:17 AM
    I called the supplier (home depot) - they said to just bring in the motor and the switch unit, and they'll exchange it from the same model [different box]. I'll post to let the board know how this turns out...
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2006, 01:47 PM
    Definitely a problem with the fan.. . Check and make sure the reverse switch is firmly in the up or down position. Other than that it could be a bad capacitor.

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/c...ng-and-FAQ.php

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay Outdoor Lights [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I cannot figure out why my Hampton Bay outdoor lights will not turn off when I set them to auto-off after two hours. They stay on all the time now.

Lights do not work on the ceiling fan [ 3 Answers ]

The fan will come on when using the fan switch, but when I use the light switch the lights will not come on. Is this a wiring problem or a switch problem? I would like to fix it myself if possible. The ceiling fan was put in with lights attached below in 1995 and the lights quit working about 2...

2 Ceiling Lights stopped working [ 2 Answers ]

Both my upstairs landing light and bedroom light have both stopped working. What ever has caused them to stop also appears to have blown the bulbs. I have changed the bulbs and checked the fuse board (not sure if that's the correct name for it) but all the switches were still on. I turned them off...

97 Honda Civic/lights and AC won't work at the same time [ 3 Answers ]

Help! My 1997 Honda Civic is acting up. It was raining yesterday and I had the AC going on defrost. When I turned my lights on, the AC went off. When I turned my lights off, the AC came back on. They won't work together. The battery is a lifetime battery, it starts up just fine, it's just...

Running Lights Not Working [ 1 Answers ]

HELP! I will admit it I am not a Mechanic or an Electrical Genius. I have a Camper that has additional tail lights mounted to the bumper and after removing the old ones and replacing them with new ones I did something wrong because everything works except the Running Lights on the Camper. Brake...

View more questions Search