Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Washburn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2006, 04:27 PM
    Ceiling fan switch replacement-chain broke
    The chain to operate my 3 speed fan broke off. I have no way of turning off the fan so I flipped the switch in my electrical box to the room. I have marked the position of the 4 wires and am trying to remove them from the switch, however, they appear to be sodered. I read in one article that I should be able to prior these wires out of the holders and not to cut the wires. I have tried and can't get the wires loose. It appears to me that the wires need to be cut Any problems in cutting the wires. If I do cut them can I wrap the ends with electrical tape until I am able to find a switch?
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2006, 05:12 PM
    The wires remove from the switch with the use of a very small eyeglass screwdriver or similar. See:

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/c...and-repair.php
    jgj6331 Posts: 153, Reputation: 19

Sep 24, 2006, 05:20 PM
    The wires are 'pinched' in place in the switch and you may need to insert a small jeweler's screwdriver along side the wire into the hole to loosen the grip to pull it out.. Most better hardware stores carry replacement switches - get one before you attempt a repair and follow the instructions. If you cut the wires now and simply wrap them with tape - your fan likely won't work at all unless you know which wires to connect to get the speed you want. If you simply want to kill the fan until you get a new switch, remove the wire from the hole marked "L" on the switch (on some switches - hopefully yours) and tape it.
    praythe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2010, 05:32 AM
    I am having a similar problem. My wire nuts appear to be glued onto the wires and pinched. How do I get them out? There's not enough wire to allow me to simply cut and splice. Is it normal for manufacturers to use glue?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling fan will not work after replacing 3 speed pull chain switch [ 129 Answers ]

I just recently replaced a 4-wire (3-speed) Ceiling fan switch on my ceiling fan. The chain had broken off inside the switch. After installing the new switch, the fan wouldn't turn At all. I have tried the swithes at all speeds And even went out and purchased another switch thinking the first...

New pull chain switch for ceiling fan light [ 14 Answers ]

Hello, I just purchased a new pull chain switch for my ceiling fan light. The lead wires coming down are white and blue. The wires on the new switch are black, blue and red. Normally these are simple installs but I need help on how to wire these due to the different colors. Thanks!

Ceiling fan light pull chain replacement [ 5 Answers ]

Pull chain on the ceiling fan light broke off, so I pulled it down, and figured out what to buy, but at some point one of the two black wires going to it came loose, presumably out of a screw cap. Does it just go in the cap with the other black load wires (3 still together)? Do I understand...

Ceiling fan switch replacement- NOTES [ 2 Answers ]

Installed the old fan from the dining room in a Bedroom. During the install, I noticed the 3 speed FAN Switch housing was cracked and broken... Everything had always run smoothly. Bought a replacement switch at WalMart, with the same engravings, part numbers, etc. But the larger plastic...

Pull Chain Replacement [ 1 Answers ]

I turned off my power and went to the hardware store to purchase a replacement pull chain light switch for my ceiling fan/light only to find upon my return that the little woman thought she would help me by removeing the old switch and bulb socket plate without labeling old wires. So here is my...

View more questions Search