Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    luciz Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

May 5, 2009, 04:06 PM
    Dell laptop idle process takes up to 99% of computer
    Hello,
    My now over 1 yr old laptop from dell, inspiron with windows home edition. It seems as I go, it's getting slower, and slower, to the point, it's quite upsetting. I keep noticing when I go to check the processing that the idle speed is very high, especially lately, when it seems to freeze, or not acknowledge any command, but the mouse is able to be scrolled, appearing as if it's not frozen at all.
    This is the last kind of laptop dell sold with xp, I am on wireless internet, and also have been having email issues, if I highlight an email for viewing, it doesn't show any other.
    Thank you

May 5, 2009, 04:08 PM

Oh.. lol.. high idle speed, I mean up to 99%.
    Blessings
    joel0613 Posts: 23, Reputation: 6

May 5, 2009, 05:30 PM
    System Idle Process should be high. That means the cpu is not doing anything. It is idle. If idle time were 50%, then 50% of the cpu is busy. You want a big number for idle time.
    That is normal.

May 5, 2009, 06:49 PM

I have done a scan disk to get rid of garbage, I did a frag, I did a spy check, and a virus check, any thing I can check as far as freezing and going slow?
    I keep a lot of files on my desktop. I'm not a PC pro by any means. My daughter tells me that's a big no no. Is that true?
    Thank you and Blessings
    Andrew Carstens Posts: 69, Reputation: 2

May 13, 2009, 07:27 PM

Do you have a antviru program. Download and install super anti spyware I bet you find something and do an disc cleanup and a difragma if the speed improves let me know I could recommend some outher things that will increase speed
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 13, 2009, 07:56 PM

Annoying isn't it. Windows for you. Whatever it wants to do it will do it, including shutting down when you don't want it to but IT WANTS to install it's update. That errant mouse click just got turned into a yes. Boo, Hiss.

When this happens you;ll notice your disk access light franticly blinking. It's not idle is it?

The weird thing is that an idle process should have a low priority.

Best I can determine, it's windows doing it's indexing operation when IT WANTS to.

You need to lower the priority of the indexing process. I forget it's name and you need the process explorer from sysinternals who now work for Microsoft. It's on micro$oft's website. Reducing the priority makes it bearable.

Very annoying. I haven't tried turning off indexing, but I think if you do, it will go away, but then trying to search for something would be a lost cause.

May 14, 2009, 07:42 AM

Yes I have an anti virus, which I had to turn off the fire wall because my internet would not work. I also have a anti spy and have done a disc cleaning and defrag.

May 14, 2009, 07:45 AM
    KISS,
    Yes, I do agree that windows controls your entire PC. I did try to turn off things, like dell access, autobot access, and the PC would not work, so I had to restore. Grrrr

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dell Laptop Computer [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Dell Laptop Computer and some how I locked the keyboard, it won't work, none of the keys.. how do I unlock it?? Even though the internal mouse works.. just not the keys.Right now I'm on a different computer, if your wondering.. Please help me

Dell Laptop [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Inspiron 8100 dell laptop with a cracked screen. I am trying to get rid of it and I don't know how much it is worth. I was offered $65.00 Is this about all I can get out of it?

Dell laptop computer [ 5 Answers ]

I bought a computer, can not make it work because I don't know the primary or administrative password, dell laptop dell latitude 600 series. What can I do to use the computer?

Dell laptop [ 12 Answers ]

How to hook up wireless to internet

Dell laptop [ 6 Answers ]

Tried Several Things Need Help Trying To Connect Laptop To Landline Using Free Netzero I Have A Network And Modem Card All In One I Can Get It To Dial And When It Says You Are Loged On And It Verifies Password Then It Disconnects And Starts Redialing The Next Number...

View more questions Search