Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Treez Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2006, 02:41 PM
    Unknown Title or Author
    I remember reading a book when I was around 11 about siblings whose parents die (I think) and the oldest (sister) is afraid of being separated, so they go on the run from authorities. She tries to keep them all fed and finds eggs to be the cheapest food to buy. Eventually they are found/caught and they go to live with their aunt. When she goes to school, a project the class has to complete has to do with saving money and when she submits her ideas, the teacher doesn't believe it would be possible, even though she lived through it herself.

I know this is very vague. I just thought this was such a great book about the love and determination of family.

I hope you can help. Thanks
    Malta Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2006, 09:11 PM
    I read something like that. I think it was called "A Grave for Fireflies" or " A Grave of fireflies" I forget exactly. Is that what you're thinking of?

Sep 29, 2006, 04:00 AM
    Thanks for your feedback. The book I am look for takes place probably in the 70's or 80's, and definitely in the US. Grave of the Fireflies takes place in Japan after WWII. This does look like a very good story, though. Thanks again.
    cookie2000 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Oct 23, 2006, 02:12 PM
    OK, I don't know the name of this book either, but this might help you search for it better - it is set in an imaginary 'war time' and the enemy (never specifically clarify who they are), pretended there were wars in another country, tempted all the army out and then when they had left conquered the whole of britain - as an island, the girl eventually starts sleeping with one of the sons - she wasn't actually a member of the family though.
    Is this the same book?

If not, I'm going to need help with that one! Haha

Oct 23, 2006, 05:54 PM
    No, this story does not take place during any war time and I think it takes place in Georgia or Alabama. I wish I could give more details. Thanks for trying to help anyway.
    WhispersOfYourSins Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2006, 06:12 PM
    I remember reading a book like that.. I think... like in the beginning they lived with their mom.. but she abandoned them in a parking lot.. and they walked all the way to their aunts... who wants to put her brother or brothers (dont remember) in either foster care or a special boarding school.. no idea lol.. anyways... I had to read that book for school like 3 yrs ago... can't remember the name though.lol sorry. But if this sounds familiar I will think on it..

Oct 24, 2006, 04:03 AM
    I think that's it! I think that's it! I would really appreciate if you did think on it. Thanks.
    WhispersOfYourSins Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2006, 01:59 PM
    Well I can't remember.. but I will ask around tomorrow, cause its driving me crazy now.lol someone else has to remember that book besides me and actually no the title and author..
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Oct 24, 2006, 02:09 PM
    Go to Barnes and Nobles... them know it all things will find it for you... oh I forgot to encourage... go to the library...
    Edie903 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2007, 07:51 AM
    Check out "Homecoming" by Cynthia Voigt. I think that's the book you are looking for.

Feb 20, 2007, 12:16 PM
    Edie903, that's it!! I did not realize there is a whole series. I really appreciate you responding and the timing is perfect. I was looking for books for a girl who is turning 9 this weekend and loves to read. I am thrilled. Thanks so much.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unknown Title [ 2 Answers ]

I read this book a few years back. It's a sci-fi/fantasy with humor novel. The story is about two babies accidentally switched at birth. One of the babies happens to be the anti-christ. Because of the switch, he's raised as an average human. When as an adult he finds out who he is, he doesn't...

Author/Title unknown [ 1 Answers ]

I read a novel years ago, where the story concerned a group of plane crash survivors who used scrap material from a nearby abandoned mine to construct medieval type weapons (trebuchet, crossbows, etc), to prevent a local militia from crossing a river to capture them. I initially believed it was...

Do you now the author and song title? [ 2 Answers ]

I remember only the middle of the song: "And I wana fall through the stars Stright into your arms ..... .....feel love I hope you comprehend" Thank you for any help. :)

Unknown book title [ 1 Answers ]

I have been looking for a book I read some time ago. It is about a young girl found wandering in the desert in Egypt and there was some debate if she was the messiah or someone who survived a explosion of a near by genetics lab. This was happening during the millennium. I believe the character...

View more questions Search