Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shellia424 Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

May 5, 2009, 01:12 PM
    Last estimate now I am even more confused
    The last guy came out with an estimate to replace our heat pump unit. (17 years old and died) Air handler was replaced in 2006/2007. We debated on replacing both to get a correct seer rating and the new format type of system instead of the r-22. We have decided to just replace the condenser because of it being cost effective.

My dilema... the guy came out today and said there is probably a small part that will convert the air haindler under the house (replaced in 2006/2007) from a r-22 to the new format. Does this make sense or did my husband here him wrong? If so why didn't anyone else say so?I know most were trying to seel us a new whole system... but no one mentioned this. Thanks!
    TristaNicholle Posts: 75, Reputation: 9

May 5, 2009, 01:15 PM

This is incorrect. You would have to replace the coil and expansion valve to switch to 410-A. You could probably just replace exp valve, but you'd hve to flush coil very well with R-11 flush kit. But by the time you do all that you might as well spend the money on a coil.
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2009, 02:41 PM

I have no idea what they were thaling about, if your old system is r-22 inless they are talking about instally a txv valve whitch is a good idea.

May 6, 2009, 05:01 AM

I will find out more today... this is a lot of work trying to find someone here that knows what they are doing. Everyone says something different when they come to the house. Thanks y'all!
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2009, 05:27 AM

Nope problem if you have more questions ask away.

May 7, 2009, 04:44 PM

OK... last estimate then I need to get this done! TOOOO HOOOTTTT!

The last company came out and said we have a Payne seer 10 under the house it would not match up with a seer 13 HP?? They did not suggest to just replace the heat pump.

Quoted me a price of $6100.00
    For 3 ton American Standard 13 seer w/10kw
    New thermostat, replace and seal some duct work under the house. He said he might be able to get me to about $5500.00 of course installed. With lots of warranties. Tell me what you think thanks!!
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2009, 04:47 PM

Hello again. $5500 for a indoor and out door unit is not a bad price at all. How good is the warranty? And how many sf do you have again? Is this a r-22 unit or 410? And are you getting a new copper lineset?

May 7, 2009, 05:01 PM

It is 5 years parts and labor and 10 years parts... I believe I need to check on that. It is from One hour heating & air. American Standard... how are they.

Our house is 1850 square feet. He did a load calculation and said that he would call me in the morning with the exact 3 ton or 3.5 ton. 3.5 would be 200.00 more because they would have to expand the air duct for the blower?

Does it make sense the efficieny on the current air handler at a seer 10 would not match a new seer13 and could cause issues with the new unit sooner than later? He said if the unit under the house if that was bigger than the heat pump... then it would be not a big deal. But the smaller air handler and larger out door unit could cause an issue. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

May 7, 2009, 05:02 PM
    Also he said our payne unit under the house is losing a lot of air at the ducts... they are known for that? True or false
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2009, 05:06 PM

American standard is a trane. 3 ton should be fine I would not think that you would need a 3 1/2 I got 2.87 when I calculated it. I have put 13 seer ac units on 10 seer coils a few times. But only 1 heatpump. It can be done, but it must be done right to make it work that way. This new quote for 410 or r-22?
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2009, 05:08 PM
    Losing air at the ducts is nothing to do with the unit its self, but the way the ductwork was installed is where the air will leak, if it was not sealed right or had big gaps in the connections.

May 7, 2009, 05:11 PM

It is 410...

They have all kinds of warranties, so was impressed with that.

Is Trane good? They showed me a consumer reports saying it was ranked well? Of course it could have been from 10 years ago... no date on it. They said they could do it on Saturday. It would also include a new pad and some other minor installation items in that price.

May 7, 2009, 05:11 PM
    He said that it was lossing about 10-20% of air loss below... so he would seal the ducts and that would be included?
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2009, 05:16 PM

Sounds like a good price, and a good unit for what all he is willing to do for you? The biggest question here is is this a reliable company? The bid sounds good. What you may want to find out is. A referance, or how long they have been in business other then that I would say you are good.

May 8, 2009, 03:01 PM

Last question... do air handlers have seer ratings? Would a seer 10 air handler be able to hook up a seer 13 heat pump? We may jjust replace the heat pump... since the air handler is only 4 years old. As long as that will be OK! Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

May 8, 2009, 03:38 PM

Not if you are switching from 22 to 410. If switching to 410, you will need a new evap coil to match the heat pump.

May 8, 2009, 03:54 PM

What if we are getting a r-22 heat pump? Can we still get that? That is what the quote says... r-22 compressor. Is that going to be an issue. Thanks!
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2009, 07:09 PM

Will work as long as they install a txv valve.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2009, 10:02 PM
    Most a/c companies require that the evaporater coil match the condenser unit,meaning the 13 seer condenser unit need a larger 13 seer evap. Coil,they don`t have to stand behind the factory warranty if the coli doesn`t match the condener
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

May 9, 2009, 12:19 PM

Good point wmproop. Warranty may be void if mismatched system. It really comes down to the installer, and how hard they would fight for warranty if you had a problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Estimate on taxes [ 2 Answers ]

Shannon I have my check stub I am from Alabama

Estimate my tax return [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to get an estimate my 2008 tax return.

How do I estimate? [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to start a small powerwashing business,can someone tell me what the going rates are for deck washing and sealing. I am in the central jersey area Do you charge by the sq. ft and how much?

Home value estimate [ 6 Answers ]

I would like to know a website where I can have an estimate of my home without entering my personal details. I have noted that several sites which can provide this information ask for SSN numbers etc. is anyone out there aware of any site that can provide this estimate for free. I just want to have...

View more questions Search