Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Trenton101 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2009, 01:11 PM
    Condenser fan motor wiring conversion
    Ok, this is on an older outside condenser fan motor unit. I have replaced the old motor and capacitor.

Everything on my unit turns on, just shortly after 10-20 seconds of operation it shuts down. Im not 100% sure on the wiring because the diagram had a huge hole in it. It was originally a three wire set up with faded colors - the new motor came with 2 brown that are hooked up to the capacitor and a black and white (which I have hooked up to black and red terminals after the switch that I believe activates the outside unit. Also the direction of the motor is blowing the correct direction. I have a multimeter but I'm not a tech or anything so I'm not able to tell if its getting enough electricity or too much. I've tried a few different ways to wire it and its been either non functional at the start, or runs for 20 sec. and stops.
    Any help would be appreciated!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 5, 2009, 01:27 PM

Can you read the voltage on the motor? Wonder if its 120 volts, bad capacitor?
    TristaNicholle Posts: 75, Reputation: 9

May 5, 2009, 01:46 PM

The two brown wires go to the 5uf capacitor. The black and white go one to each side of contactor. Is the whole unit shutting down or just the fan motor?
    Trenton101 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2009, 01:54 AM

OK,
    After doing some work today I had the motor tested and the fuses checked. The motor tested fine, and one of the fuses was out. So I have a new fuse in there. I put the new motor in and plugged the white in to the red lead and black to black, both browns to the capacitor. Same results as before. Just a buzzing noise like its getting power but something's not right(the fan motor and comperssor are not on). The breaker isn't being thrown. I believe my unit is full of freon because I had two pounds put in before the motor went out.
    Before when the fan unit and the condeser was turning on for about ten to twenty seconds of operation and then just the fan turned off- not the compressor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Condenser Fan Motor Wiring [ 4 Answers ]

Ijust replace the condenser fan on my rheem ac unit.The old fan had three wire brown yellow and black ,the new fan have four wire two browns yellow and black.I was told by the saleman to hook both brown to the new single capacitor and the yellow & black to the contactor.My old capacitor had a (c)...

Wiring a/c new condenser motor [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to replace the condenser motor on my Central A/C. I just bought a new motor but it has 4 wires (black/white/brown/brown with white stripe) instead of the 3 (black/red/brown) wires on the old condenser motor. Also, I must use a new capacitor on my new condenser motor. I have two...

Wiring new fan condenser motor [ 2 Answers ]

Hello How are you? I purchased a new fan motor and it has different wire colors than the old one. The old one has a black, brown and yellow wire and the new one has Brown, brown/white, White and black. How are these wired together. This is an outside A/C fan motor 1/4HP, 208-230 volts,...

Wiring new fan condenser motor [ 1 Answers ]

Hello How are you? I purchased a new fan motor and it has different wire colors than the old one. The old one has a black, brown and yellow wire and the new one has Brown, brown/white, White and black. How are these wired together. This is an outside A/C fan motor 1/4HP, 208-230 volts,...

Condenser Fan Motor Wiring [ 2 Answers ]

Compressor tries to come on but trip breaker

View more questions Search