Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TristaNicholle Posts: 75, Reputation: 9

May 5, 2009, 12:45 PM
    Commitment Ceremony
    Ok, so next year my fiancé and I are getting married. I want to do a commitment ceremony, rather than a traditional legal marriage. I just believe that (a) a marriage is a spiritual or personal commitment between two people and one should not have to have the government's permission, or pay to make that commitment... (Yes, I'm being difficult, I know.) And (b) because of financial reasons, it is more beneficial for us to not be "legally married" in the eyes of the gov't. So, what I am getting at is this, we will exchange vows, rings, etc, and the ceremony will be officiated by a non-denominational member. The question I have is this, how hard is it to change my last name, since I believe to do so, the state requires a marriage certificate or license to prove we are married, correct? Do you get a marriage certificate in such a ceremony? Or am I going to have to go through a longer legal battle to simply change my last name? I have no clue about this sort of thing, because unlike most girls (stereotypical), I haven't spent much of my time planning and dreaming of my wedding day... Help! :D
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2009, 12:49 PM

Well, changing your name is not a long legal battle. It's a quick trip to the local court and possibly an explanation as to why you want to, but it is by no means a legal battle. There is probably a small court fee associated with it, but so long as you are not attempting to defraud anyone, it is really a simple deal. You can have any name you want.

Nothing says you need to be married to change your name to his. Heck, change your last name to Pitt if you want to. You don't even need to know the guy.

A friend of mine was getting married and about a month before the wedding her fiancée changed his name to what would eventually become both of their last names.

May 5, 2009, 12:51 PM

Ok, thanks. Because everything I tried to read about it on the internet made it out to be some long legal proceeding and it all sounded too complicated. I was aware there would be a fee for it... So I suppose you only get a certificate if applied for a marriage license?
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2009, 12:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TristaNicholle View Post
    Ok, thanks. Because everything I tried to read about it on the internet made it out to be some long legal proceeding and it all sounded too complicated. I was aware there would be a fee for it...So I suppose you only get a certificate if applied for a marriage license??
    Its potentially complicated as a minor. As an adult, its fairly simple.

I don't know what certificate you are speaking of. The marriage license entitles you to a 'free' name change. Its essentially the same thing though.

May 5, 2009, 12:56 PM

Oh, I was just told that you sent in the paperwork for the name change along with your marriage certificate...
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2009, 12:56 PM

Here is the law for your state.
    West Virginia Name Change Forms and Name Change Law

May 5, 2009, 12:58 PM

Thanks I've been looking for a site with that info for WV...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Planning a wedding ceremony... [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there! :) I'm planning a secular wedding ceremony... Does anyone have any good ideas for readings/poetry, or 'rites'/ceremonious acts that we could incorporate? I've thought about doing a hand-binding ceremony, including some music and poetry - though nothing is totally fixed yet, and...

Ceremony site ? [ 2 Answers ]

I am getting married on October 18,2008 . The reception is being held at Michael's 8th Avenue in Glen Burnie , Maryland @ 8 p.m. I have not decided on a ceremony location as of right now. I have been looking into churches but not sure if that's what I want to do. I don't know about an outside...

Getting married before having the ceremony. [ 7 Answers ]

Hello. My fiancé and I want to know what decision is wise. Should we get married, and then have are ceremony when we can afford to? Or Should we just wait to get married and save until we can afford to have the ceremony?:confused:

Second Wedding Ceremony [ 8 Answers ]

My husband is in the military. We have been together for a little over 5 years, but only married (this month will be) 9 months. We planned on getting married when he graduated basic training. He told me that he wasn't going to be able to come home before going off to his first duty station. I was...

View more questions Search