Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mimimouse1 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2009, 07:24 AM
    Lacking work references
    What suggestions would anyone have when you lack work references?
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2009, 07:25 AM
    Why do you lack work references? Is it because you are looking for your first job? Or because you have left jobs on bad terms?

May 5, 2009, 08:14 AM
    I just lost contact with people and I would feel awkward calling after time has past now that I want to start looking for new work again. My last job I was the union rep so I did leave on bad terms but it was all for good reason.
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2009, 08:19 AM
    There is nothing wrong with reaching out to people you have lost touch with. When I had a management position, it happened all the time. Just be sure that when you call you remind them of who you are. "Hi. This is Joe Smith, I worked there as an accountant from 2002 - 2005."

If you can not provide a management reference from your last job, find someone else you worked with to use. As Union Rep, did you resolve a difficult situation for a coworker? If so, then use that person as a reference.

May 5, 2009, 09:37 AM
    I did help a few people but they have since left the job and I would not have any way of contacting them I know because a few people I once worked with tried contacting them but with no such luck.
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2009, 09:53 AM
    You can still put them as references with the past employer's info as their contact info. The prospective employer can then decide if they want to make the effort to track the people down.

Also, do you volunteer anywhere? Did you do a project for anyone? These can be sources for references.

May 5, 2009, 10:11 AM
    I have worked as a volunteer but again it has been many years and I could not use a few names anymore some have died. It is very limited. I am not sure how to get around this one?? Most of my previous female bosses did not like me because I have a strong personality and spoke up for myself and most female bosses don't like that they have an equal, even if I was not working at their level, yet I am well liked, just not by female bosses.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lacking energy [ 9 Answers ]

What would you guys advise for quick energy besides energy drinks and coffee?

Work References and Recommendation Slander [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, first time questioner. Had a question (two parter actually) about work history and recommendations. I was with the same company for over six years (and even got an award of excellence year five), and just the other day I contacted them for a letter of recommendation. They informed me that...

What am I lacking? [ 2 Answers ]

How come frequently I screw up a lot and it's because when somebody tells me what to do I usually don't know what they mean.ex:give me the yellow striped book.well not that but something's like that like I have to know the meaning of every single word.what do I lack so I can work on it.:o

Lacking Energy [ 1 Answers ]

I seem to eat enough of the proper foods but lack energy and am often tired despite sufficient sleep. Help! :confused:

Lacking enough nutrition [ 1 Answers ]

I have a discoloration around my mouth and eyes from not taking in enough nutrition. Will that go away if I start eating right? And if so, how long will it take?

View more questions Search