Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 5, 2009, 05:34 AM
    Setting up a spay/neuter program for pets.
    Hi guys.

Well... a lovely person in the Pets and Animals forum gave me an idea.

There are no spay/neuter programs running where I live.

Does anyone have any idea on how I could start one up?

Do I have to register myself as a business, charity or something else?

Would there be any cost in setting it up other than promotion? (registering etc.)

Would there be any legal ramifications if someone got their pet spayed with donated money and something went wrong?

Any insight appreciated, it's till a dream at the moment but I'm going to start researching to see if it is viable.

- Shaz
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 5, 2009, 10:27 AM

Great idea Shaz.

Many areas have a program similar to this. Sadly I don't know much about it.

Starby would be the one to ask about this, she's involved in a similar program. Sadly we both know that Starby isn't here right now. :(

The only thing I would be concerned about is the legal aspect. I'd start by finding out what the law states and then go from there.

I'll do some research when I have some time, see what I can find out. :)
    Uber Member

May 5, 2009, 10:43 AM

Thanks Alty :)
    Hopefully Starby will be back soon :)

Yeah, I was worried about the legal side... I'll see what I can find out... I don't even know where to start though :confused:
    Should I ask the local shelter?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 5, 2009, 10:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Thanks Alty :)
    Hopefully Starby will be back soon :)

Yeah, I was worried about the legal side... I'll see what i can find out... I don't even know where to start though :confused:
    Should I ask the local shelter?
    That's a great place to start.
    Uber Member

May 5, 2009, 11:00 AM

Cheers :)
    It's going to be a slow process but I'll keep everyone updated with each baby step I make...
    TristaNicholle Posts: 75, Reputation: 9

May 5, 2009, 11:02 AM

I would check with both your local shelter and possibly even some vets in your area. Since most non-profit spay/neuter assistance programs get vets to volunteer their services for this, they may have some insight as well. Plus, if they already have their own practice they may know more about the legal aspect too.
    Uber Member

May 5, 2009, 11:16 AM

Thanks Trista :)
    I'll check with my vet too :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

One more reason to Spay and Neuter [ 1 Answers ]

ZoomTown OR http://www.dogsindanger.com/aboutus.jsp

When can I spay my dog? [ 2 Answers ]

I don't know if you have seen my other post, but I have just rescued puppies, and looking at my dog who just had 1 puppy, I want to spay her as soon as I get a chance to but I don't know when I am able to because she just gave birth on 7/3/07

Infection from Spay? [ 1 Answers ]

Just got a new 8 week old puppy from a rescue service- she was spayed a week and a half ago- she came with kennel cough, so has been on antibiotics but still coughing a decent amount. I am just getting little worried about her stitches on her belly- they seem to be protruding through much...

Can vets legally spay or neuter pitbulls if they are banned? [ 9 Answers ]

Even though pitbulls are banned here in ontario canada, will the vet still spay or nueter a pitbull puppy or will they have to put it down?

Question about early spay & Neuter [ 1 Answers ]

I have 3 kittens who are just about 3 months old. A local organization is holding a "spay day" next weekend and they are able to spay and micro chip my kittens. They have told me that early spaying is very safe and can sometimes even be better than waiting. I have read similar reports online. I'm...

View more questions Search