Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ReiGuy13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2009, 08:03 PM
    How to Convince an Overprotective Parent
    So, the situation is as follows:

I just turned 18 a few months ago; and shortly before that time me and a younger girl (15) had started seeing each other. Im not the type of guy overly interested in sex, as it has seemed to damage my relationships before their time. Basically, We want to have a calm, and rather simple relationship together for pretty much as long as possible.

Problem arises after playing the "meet the parents" game. The father wouldn't speak to me for any reason, even if directly spoken to he would respond with a grunt. Following this rather disastrous event, the father in question "banned" her from seeing me now.

So now I pose the question, "Is this possible to recover from? Or will it be a Romeo and Juliet story ((Minus the Suicide with any luck ; ) )) Any and all ideas would be appreciated... as I'm completely out on my own here...

Thanks,
    Rei
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 4, 2009, 08:35 PM

As a adult, if you try and go against the will of the parent on a minor child you can end up in jail.

So not Romeo and Juliet as much as Cell Block 9, or Longest Yard perhaps.

And to be honest at "almost 18" and she at 15 you would not have even made it into my house to start with
    bonomo85 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2009, 09:03 PM
    I been there and done that I was 15 and she was 12 and her grand parents hated me... I just stuck with it and we are still together. I am 24 and she is 21 now! And her grand parents still hate me!
    ylaira Posts: 1,193, Reputation: 118
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2009, 02:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ReiGuy13 View Post
    "Is this possible to recover from? Or will it be a Romeo and Juliet story ((Minus the Suicide with any luck ; ) )) Any and all ideas would be appreciated...as I'm completly out on my own here...Thanks,
    Rei
    Yes, definitely but you must understand where are her parents coming from. Any parents want the best for their children and if there's a way for their kids to learn without being hurt, they would do it.

You can win their approval buy showing respect when you see them (no matter what they feel about you for now), that you respect their daughter's boundaries,(ask their permission when you are going out and bring her home after wards. Don't pass in the window because you are afraid of them.), show them that your relationship doesn't interrupt your studies and work, that you can take care their daughter as they did, that they can trust you and that you have a good head on your shoulders.

Parents have good instincts. Once you got them, they will be your best ally on your relationship.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 5, 2009, 04:56 AM

What you have to understand is that there is a vast difference in ages when one is younger. Even a 2-3 year difference is a wide gap because 15 yr olds and 18 yr olds have very different interests.

If your interest is not sexual (which would probably be illegal), I would be more inclined to wait until she is older to pick up your relationship.

But if you want to make one last try, find out what the parents objection is and ask them, directly if you can come and talk to them about it. Explain to them that you have no intention of defying their orders in regards to their child, but would like the opportunity to show them your intentions are honorable. Maybe you will convince them and maybe you won't.
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2009, 06:05 AM

Personally, I don't think the parent's problem is so much your personality, but your age.

You are a legal adult; their daughter is still a minor child.

If you were trying to date my daughter, I'd definitely have a problem.

This girl should be off limits to you. You're an adult. She is a child. There is no other way to say it.

I'm sorry, man. Focus on getting into college or starting your career - leave the high school girls for the high school boys.

Don't think of it in the romantic light of Romeo and Juliet - that is a total different scenario.
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2009, 06:15 AM

Your age is the problem here, being a parent myself, any guy who comes over to date my daughter isn't going to be well received, even more so if they are an adult trying to have a relationship with a child. Perhaps try looking in you own age bracket for women of interest as someone of her age is legally off limits, especially with her parents forbidding her.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 5, 2009, 06:35 AM

Her parents aren't being overprotective, they were being responsible. You should be to, and not let this young girl be put in that position of going behind her parents back, or being mistrusted.

As a father, your lucky to even get in the door.

Sorry guy, I hope your man enough to leave this child alone, and stay within your own age group. Its just not worth the hassle, as I seriously doubt they change there minds, I would not, no matter how great of a guy you are.

You can only get her in trouble at home. Don't do that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Obsessive and overprotective [ 4 Answers ]

I've been in a relationship for the past two years.. and I really love the guy a lot.. but lately I have noticed that I am turning into this overprotective person... im really worried about what he is doing, I'm devastated when he gets hurt, I end up yelling at him for not taking care of himself...

Overprotective brothers [ 6 Answers ]

I have 3 older brothers age 18,17,15 and 1 older sister 16. My brothers are all very overprotective of me but they're not the same with my sis. I need advice and don't say it's natural cause its really upsetting me, also tell me how your siblings are with you/how you are to your siblings

Overprotective mother [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a stepmother. My husbands 2 children have been homeschooled throughout their entire school career. My step daughter "graduated" from home school June 2008. My step son is 16yrs old and a junior in homeschool. My husbands exwife has full custody and he can only see his kids when she lets...

Mom Being Overprotective [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I am a grade 11 student and I am 16, I really like/love this guy named tyler, he is in grade 12 and he is 18. Tyler is in my moms words slow and hyper; I agree with the hyper part but not the slow part. He asked me out a little while ago and I told him my mom would prob not let me go out...

Overprotective roommate [ 2 Answers ]

So about five months ago, me and my good friend decided to move in with each other in a two bedroom aptartment. And as far as I'm concerned, its going well. We have nice things, and we always pay the bills on time. My problem is this though. I started dating this guy about two and a half months...

View more questions Search