Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    123kids Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2009, 05:02 PM
    Don't know what judgment document means
    My husband and I have a judgement against us from Chase for $5200. We didn't answer the summons because our debt settlement company said they would. Anyway, the lawyer from Chase said they don't work with debt settlement companies. Chase wanted us to make large payments (we can't we're desperately trying not to lose our home), and refused to take an offer of smaller payments. We recently received judgement documents from our local justice court which read "Motion and Affidavit for Entry of Judgement By Default Without Hearing." Does this mean we're not going to court, and must try our best to pay it? We can't afford a lawyer right now. Does anyone know?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 4, 2009, 06:40 PM

It means you did not answer the summons which means you did not intend to go to court and fight it. So they make a motion to win without a court hearing since you did not request or ask for a chance to defend yourself.

Credit card companies or any lender does not have work with a settlement company, and that company lied to you when they said they would take care of it,

In fact unless they are an attorney they can not represent you in a judgement in court.

So you should if you have a defense, try and have a hearing,

But with the judgement depending on where you are at. They may attach all of your bank accounts, they can garnish your wages, often up to 25 percent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Convert a vista word document to an office 2003 word document [ 1 Answers ]

How can I convert a vista word document to an office 2003 word document?

How would anyone change their identity by their own means or by professional means? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi fellow users I am conducting research on this matter to aid myself look for a loved one who has not been seen for six years. I suspect that my friend has changed their identity and I need to understand how this can be done.

I don't know what it means [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, It is destined to be a silly question. But please let me know. I was walking with my boyfriend, and I heard the sound of a bird. So I asked my boyfriend what bird it was. He told me he didn't see the bird, so he didn't know. And then I pointed to the bird for him. But he said, "never...

Obtaining a Judgment on a debt that has a prior Judgment [ 1 Answers ]

Now I thought that you can't get another judgment on a debt if there is a prior judgment obtained back in July 2004 from Ohio. But the debtor moved to New York and they want to have an atty in New York place another judgment on the same debt. Don't they have to request an Exemplified Judgment...

Not sure what she means [ 8 Answers ]

OK my girlfriend broke it off a week ago, saying that she didn't feel that she had the time to commit herself into a relationhip and it wasn't fair to me. She was a busy person, ill be the first to admit that, and I know she was going through a tough time at school and with her training schedule...

View more questions Search