Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PatFitzgerald1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2009, 01:25 PM
    501(c)(7) Status
    We have a residents social club which has be in existence off and on since 1986. There are no "articles of association" but there are "bylaws" which are in need of updating. We are in the process of applying for 501(c)(7) status, and one of the line items ask for "articles of association." What would be the recommended thing to do about this lack of paperwork?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 5, 2009, 05:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by PatFitzgerald1 View Post
    What would be the recommended thing to do about this lack of paperwork?
    Hello Pat:

Form a business entity that DOES have the requisite paperwork. It might cost $150 or so to do that. I've used the Company Corporation before, Incorporating & LLC Formation - Business Incorporation Service - Incorporate Business | Incorporate.com

excon
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 10, 2009, 07:41 PM

There are two ways of doing this.
    1. Whip out some articles of association. I've done this before for an unincorporated association and the IRS approved it. The downside is that the members are potentially liable for claims against the association. Or
    2. Form a non-profit corporation. As Excon says, the fees to do this are minor. Contact your state corporations agency (department of state of whatever it's called in your state). Most have an online presence with do-it-yourself forms for this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I do not have a Status Disk 1 to find the status.mis file [ 2 Answers ]

Hello - I uninstalled printer software because I wasn't using it anymore as I bought a new one. After that I got an error that "The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-ROM or other removable disk that is not available. Insert the 'Status' and click OK. Use Source: 1 but I don't have a...

Dual status resident status [ 2 Answers ]

I've been working in the US on H1 since Oct 2005. My wife joined me in June 2006 on H4 visa (as my dependent). She started studying on H4 in June 2007, and did a COS to F1 later in April 2008. I'm now trying to determine our residency status for 2008 tax returns, and whether we can file tax...

Who can know about visiting canada with B1, B2 status can be chnged in to F1 status? [ 2 Answers ]

My friend is planning to visit Canada in Tourist visa, Could he study there in 10 weeks English intensive course or French language course immediately after entering Canada?Then after , can he study in University ?

What Status should I file tax since my status changed from F1 to H1 from Oct 23 2006! [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have the following questions about filing for taxes for the yr 2006. 1. Since my visa status changed from F1 to H1 on oct 23rd 2006, what status should I file the taxes as & which form should I use? Till now I have used 1040nr ez! FYI : I am frm India, I have not left US from...

View more questions Search