Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    knucklehead Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2006, 07:48 PM
    Hot mopped shower water test
    Hi my husband and I recently had our shower stall hotmopped for our membrane. We were told to do a water test by plugging the drain hole, filling the pan w/water and see if it held overnight. Well we bought an appropriate water test plug and the water goes down while we're standing there watching it! Are we supposed to cover the weep holes to do this test? I think the weep holes are the four small holes around the drain by the bolts, am I wrong? I see them and it seems like the water is going down them or the bolt thing. I mean you know how the bolt goes in a big hole then is tuned into a thinner area to hold it and then tighten it? Is that supposed to be covered? I don't know what to do because we see the water going down that area. We can't move forward on our diy remodel until we can pass this water test. PLEASE HELP!!
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2006, 09:00 PM
    Make sure that the plug is in the pipe a couple of inches below the shower drain itself because you want to check all of the connections above the pipe.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 24, 2006, 05:47 AM
    As usual Letmetellu was bang on with his answer. Weep holes are there to remove and drain away any water that happens to seep through the tile and mortor floor. Without weep holes water would colect and build up until it ran out on the floor. Hlowever, for a test the plug, (if you don't have a plug a balloon blown up in the drain will work just as well) to be effective it must be placed below the weep holes. Good luck, Tom

Sep 24, 2006, 12:30 PM
    OK so put a flat balloon in the drain pipe and blow it up while it's in there right? OK I'll try that. Thank god there's no cameras around because that's going to look REAL cute! Thank you both and I will let you know. :-)
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 24, 2006, 01:29 PM
    If the balloon grosses you out then purchase a 2" test plug, (see image) from any working plumbing company. Cheers, Tom

Sep 26, 2006, 11:45 AM
    THANKS A MILLION to you both- letmetellu and speedball1. I did put a balloon in the drain well below the weep holes and wouldn't you know it the water held! It's nice to find competent people who are willing to share their knowledge so givingly and FREE :D I owe you a debt of gratitude. Thanks again. Lisa in California

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No hot water in shower but plenty of hot water at sink! [ 14 Answers ]

undefinedundefined Two days ago, both of the showers in my home stop having hot water. I have very hot water in the sinks in the bathrooms. The shower doesn't get but lukewarm. One showe in the spin dial to adjust the temp and turn on the shower. The other is a spin dial for temp and has a facet...

No Hot Water to shower head, but Hot water to the Tub? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I just purchased a new house. We have found that the shower pressure in the bathroom is wonderful however once you have set the right temp from the tub spout and switch over to the shower no hot water makes it to the shower head. We can only turn off the cold water completely in...

What's the diff between diaelectric test and insulation test [ 1 Answers ]

I am puzzled, What exactly is the difference between diaelectric test and insulation test. Some says it the same, but others says it's because one applied power to perform the test the latter don't. And some says both are using power but one is using AC power and the other using Dc power. There...

Hot water in the shower until shower head installed [ 6 Answers ]

I have hot water in all my other faucets/showers. I also have hot water at the particular shower with the problem as long as a shower head is not installed. When I install the shower head, the water is lukewarm. Any ideas for the source of the problem, and how to fix?

Water pressure test [ 1 Answers ]

How do you do a water pressure test. I know Tom mentioned it a couple times but I couln't find it. I am having a problem with my new dishwasher not cleaning (I had a plumber install the dishwasher from scratch). Knowing that the people before us didn't always do things right I want to make sure...

View more questions Search