Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DIYgirl803 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2009, 11:04 AM
    No electrical boxes in the ceiling
    I have been slowly trying to go through my house and change out old brass fixtures in my 19 year old house to more updated fixtures and keep coming across the same problem: simply a black and a white wire poking out a one inch diameter hole in the ceiling with no blue electrical box (or as I call it a "blue cup") to attach the new fixture to. I'm not sure they haven't simply drilled holes into the drywall to attach the old fixture to the ceiling. (It looks thicker than just 1.5- 2" but not sure if it includes a stud or what). In the master bath, there is simply a tear in the drywall with wires poking out that was covered by the lighting strip type fixture.

Is it safe to simply attach the fixture to the ceiling? (The ceiling fan I took down has obviously been there for a while without falling.) Or is a must to install an electrical box, and if so, is that something I can figure out on my own or best left to the professionals?
    TristaNicholle Posts: 75, Reputation: 9

May 4, 2009, 11:13 AM

A professional may correct me if I'm wrong about this, but I believe it is against code to make any wiring connections outside of an approved electrical box.

Ace has a page that seems to have some helpful info:
    Ace
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 4, 2009, 11:31 AM
    You really should try to get an outlet box installed at each light fixture. I attached some pictures of pancake box and old work box.

The intention is to contain all splices in an approved outlet box so if any sparks or heat is created it will be captured in the box and light fixture attached below it, and not be close to combustible materials.

I know, the fixtures have been there for years without boxes. OK, fair enough, but just because there have been no issues, but no reaosn to not make it right, which I get your trying to do.

Aren't old homes fun?
    Attached Images

DIYgirl803 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2009, 11:46 AM
    Thank you for your honest answer! I definitely don't want my house burning down, just curious how they got away with doing that in the first place. I am a "follow the rules" person myself, so it sounds like a need a date with an electrician to come through and bring me up to code.

And to answer the question: Old houses ARE wonderful, like 3 months after moving in, the water hose to the fridge's ice maker leaked overnight and we had to replace the entire downstairs flooring including our beautiful hardwoods!
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 4, 2009, 11:51 AM
    It was how things were done then, the code is re-written every three years, and it has come a long way. Maybe yours was done according to code back then and maybe not. But glad you looking to make any corrections necessary.

On the lighter side, no pun intended, I thought maybe you would want to reword this:

Quote Originally Posted by DIYgirl803 View Post
    sounds like a need a date with an electrician to come through and bring me up to code.
    Electricians are good at removing shorts.

Hope you took no offense to my crudeness.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 4, 2009, 01:53 PM

LOL TK please don't touch my shorts unless its an emergency.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

May 4, 2009, 02:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell View Post
    Electricians are good at removing shorts.
    Cracked me up
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2009, 04:16 PM

Worst case scenario, if u have a fire it may void your house insurance.

Chuck
    ohb0b Posts: 215, Reputation: 14

May 4, 2009, 05:17 PM
    Is it safe to simply attach the fixture to the ceiling? (The ceiling fan I took down has obviously been there for a while without falling.) Or is a must to install an electrical box, and if so, is that something I can figure out on my own or best left to the professionals?

As TK says, ask for an "Old Work" box, or use a pancake box.

You also mention ceiling fixtures and fans. Article 314.27 requires boxes that are sole support of luminaires (Lighting fixtures) to be rated for the purpose, and capable of supporting 50 lbs.

Sole support ceiling fan boxes must also be fan rated, and able to support 70 lbs.

The best thing to do is attach the fixture to a framing member. If you can access the attic above the ceiling, you can nail a short 2x4 perpendicular to the studs, and attach the box to the 2x4.

Oh, another thing, you described "A black and a white wire protruding through the plaster." which leads me to believe your house is around 100 years old, and has "knob-and-tube" wiring?

(Sorry, I'll have to pass on the date... my wife would object.)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 4, 2009, 06:32 PM

The old time wiring is very common, my parents home is done that way, the ceiling lights are merely screwed into the ceiling material. They were taken down and put up so many times over the years, I am surprised they have holes to put them into any more.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

May 4, 2009, 10:45 PM

Fixtures, including fans, screwed into a joist will be safe and secure. Still better to have boxes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical- conduits and junction boxes [ 1 Answers ]

How many feet can I run (EMT)conduit straight before I have to use a junction box. Canadian Electrical Code.

NEC 2002 and Electrical Boxes [ 1 Answers ]

I want to replace four fluorescent lights that are under my patio with fans. I removed the lights and it seems that the box is in a 1x3 (the light weighs only a couple of ounces). I am wondering if the code (which Nevada dwellings must comply with) specifies how an electrical box must be mounted...

Electrical boxes [ 9 Answers ]

I was just told by someone that you have to have insulated outlet boxes for exterial walls inside the basement? Is this true? I've never heard or seen these, I've seen them for exterior outlets outside, but not inside.

Electrical boxes [ 1 Answers ]

How can I jump my electrical boxes? I just recently bought an apartment building and I would like to make it one whole house and I would like to run the downstairs apartment to upper.. there are to separate boxes that run each apartment side by side.. I was told I could "jump" one box from the...

Electrical boxes [ 2 Answers ]

I think I have an unique problem. I have a 4"x4"x6' space which is all wall board above a pass through. I have 3 small wall sconces I want to mount above the pass through. The problem is the wall board. How do I attach the electrical boxes so I can mount the light fixtures? At this point I have the...

View more questions Search