Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MR_HDG Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2009, 09:15 AM
    2 ip on 1 nic, windows sbs 2003, dns
    Hi:

I had a win 2003 sbs,dc, dns. With ms crm dynamics.

I need to enable an ip address to work esclusive for a website on this server.

So I added a 2nd IP to my server nic. The problem is with dns. I want a dns name for one IP and another for the other ip.

When my PC station try to connect to crm by http:\\crm-server:3333, the ip addresse that they get is the second ip that I just added. As a result, the connection cannot be made because my crm application will only answer using the first ip addresse.

How can I avoid this behavior?. hHow can I assign a dns name different to my second ip addresse.

I want the falloing behavior ;

If I type crm-server, I need to get always the same ip 192.168.150.20, and avoid the server to send the second ip addresse as a dns resolution.:confused:

Thanks

Mr_hdg
    Ziggy00 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2009, 08:46 PM

I believe that there is a simple answer here just simply:
    1. log on to the SBS and go to DNS management snap-in
    2. on the left panel find Forward lookup zone expand it find "yourdomain.com" select it on the right now you should see all DNS records
    3. find record called “crm-server” right click then select properties Change the IP address as desired then add another record with example "www" and the desired IP address
    4. Make sure that the create PTR record is checked before clicking OK of you have a reverse lookup zone
    This should be the solution if you're using static settings which should be the case on a DC

Please let me know if that solves your problem!
    MR_HDG Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2009, 01:36 PM
    Do I have to restart the server or the DNS service.
    Ziggy00 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2009, 09:20 PM

Nop shouldn't have to but you should flush the DNS on all client machines (usually DNS has shot live time something like 241 MS less than one second) but just in case start --> run type "cmd" in the dialog box and hit enter the command window type ipconfig /flushdns

That will force the client to query the DNS server when requesting the IP address and if you updated the DNS Management counsel as mentioned earlier then each name will resolve to the IP address in the DNS server
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

May 12, 2009, 01:46 PM

This is a common configuration. You will not need a second NIC.

Go to the TCP/IP configuration for your NIC and open the Advanced Properties. Here, you can add a second, third, forth, etc. IP address for the same NIC.

Only the primary IP address will be dynamically entered into DNS on your DNS server.

Once you have entered the second IP address, it will be available for assignment to something like a web site or application that can listen on the specific IP address.

Open your DNS management snap-in on the server. Make sure that DNS is listening on the primary IP address only.

Add a new record into your Forward Lookup Zone for your DNS domain for the new IP address. Choose the A record type and add a new host record for the name that you wish and the new IP address.

Once your computer has updated with your DNS server, you will be able to ping the server with the new IP address and host name you have specified.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Difference Between Windows 2000 & Windows 2003 [ 4 Answers ]

I like to know the difference between Microsoft Windows Server 2000 And Windows Server 2003. Please help me to know the difference...

Will windows 2002 work with windows 2003? [ 3 Answers ]

I am interested in getting a pocket PC. It is using windows 2002 software but my PC uses 2003 so will it still work? For example if I use it to write something using theword program on the pocket PC will it still open on my home PC? Thanks Jack

WIndows 2003 sharing [ 2 Answers ]

Hello friends! I have a domain system just for local area connection. 1. It is sharing internet ,file and printer from server, this is working. 2. But when I go to client computer and go to share file or printer and go to securuty tab and location ;in location I don't see domain name( I only...

Windows 2003 downgrade [ 2 Answers ]

How do I downgrade windows 2003 server to windows 2000 server

Downgrade windows 2003 server to windows 2000 server procedure [ 1 Answers ]

Hi.. Recently I planned to buy a server with windows 2k server OS. Unfortunately I was told that win 2k server will be no longer in support at 2007.:confused: What happen is that the application I need to run is under win 2k server only, can anyone advise me how to perform the downgrade...

View more questions Search