Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    roberts61 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2009, 01:49 AM
    Lifting capacity of a wheel train
    Wheel A has a radius 40cm with a pinion radius 10cm, wheel B has a radius 30cm with a pinion radius 15cm and wheel C has a radius 50cm. It is required to lift a weight of 22400 newtons with a pull of 400 newtons. What should the diameter of wheel C be to achieve this? Please show how you achieve the answer
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

May 4, 2009, 06:43 PM

In order to lift 22400 Newtons with only 400 newtons of force, you need a force multiplication of 22400/400 = 56 times. Wheel A has an outer radius 4 times greater than its pinion radius, so it should provide 4x force multiplication. Wheel B has an outer radius twice its pinion radius so it should provide an additional 2x force multiplication (for a total of 8x between wheels A and B). To get to a total of 56x, the remaining wheel has to provide an additional 56/8 = 7x force multiplication. Therefore, if its pinion radius is 50cm, its outer radius must be 7 times that big or 350 cm. Since your question was the diameter (not the radius) of wheel C, the answer is 700 cm.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to train biceps and triceps with out lifting weights? [ 10 Answers ]

I am trying to work my arms and I don't have weights at home. Is there any good way to work out with out them? Ive been doing pushups every night from 20-30 but it doesn't seem to be getting better..

Lifting his leg [ 1 Answers ]

How do I get my five year old Shih Tzu to stop lifting his left. He has already gone to the bathroom so most of this is just simple leg lifting.

Shop lifting [ 3 Answers ]

Someone, anyone I need some answers real fast. I'm in Canada and I was caught shop lifting. I was charged of course and I'm waiting for my court appearance, needless to say I'm scarred and the way I see it I should be. I have a bi polar disorder for the last 25 years. And for some stupid...

Tilt-wheel steering wheel problem [ 1 Answers ]

On my 1998 Buick Park Ave the tilt-wheel will no longer change positions. A couple of days ago I got in the car, adjusted the steering wheel and heard something Pop. Since then, the steering wheel will only stay in that position. Does anyone know how I might go about fixing this problem? ...

View more questions Search