Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sunshine304 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2009, 07:59 PM
    How to get letters of recommendation for teaching credential program
    I will be graduating with a bachelors in Psychology in a few weeks and just recently decided that I want to become a special education teacher. It's too late to apply to teaching credential programs for this fall and I think some time off school would be a good idea for me anyway. So, I'm applying to teaching credential programs for next fall.

Anyway, up until now I wasn't really planning on going on in school after getting my bachelors and stupidly didn't get to know my professors well enough. Now I need letters of recommendation for teaching credential programs and I really don't know of any of my professors who could write me good recommendations. The schools that I'm applying to state the recommendations must be written by a "current professional acquaintance or educator" The letters of recommendation for these schools are not technically "letters" but they are forms that ask the person filling it out to rate my ability to be a teacher and write comments on their ratings. Because these forms are specifically asking the person to rate my personal qualities I am worried that since my professors don't really know me beyond my test grades, papers and attendance that they won't be able to answer these questions about my character.

I have been volunteering with an organization (through my university) for the past 9 months that is involved with educating preschool aged children in the classroom setting and I am going to ask a supervisor from that organization who knows me well to fill out a recommendation form for me.

I am planning on taking some classes at a university this fall as a "non-matriculated" student (not accepted to the university) and am hoping that I could get to know the professors in those classes and have them fill out the recommendation forms for me. (I want to take classes as a non-matriculated student because if not I'd have to apply to the school--hence needing letters of recommendation which is already a problem)

I also need to get some experience working in the classroom setting at the elementary level (since that is the level I want to teach in) before I can apply to teaching credential programs and am hoping that when I do that I could get letters of rec from that as well.

Anyway, sorry this is so long but I want to explain my whole situation in order to get more specific feedback. If anybody has advice on what I should do I would appreciate it. Will it look bad that I don't have letters of rec from professors from the school I am getting my undergrad degree at or does it not matter?

I figure that I shouldn't just have any professor fill out the recommendation form for me because I want it to be a good recommendation not just a mediocre one because they can't adequately evaluate my character.

Also if anybody knows of any tips on how to get involved in getting some volunteer experience in the classroom level (for special education) I would love to hear them.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 3, 2009, 08:06 PM

The cert program wants letters from "current professional acquaintance or educator." The acquaintance part doesn't mean professors and covers a lot of territory. Any volunteer teaching work, working with elem students, should fill the bill. Plus, get to know a couple of profs in that non-matric program.
    sunshine304 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2009, 09:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    The cert program wants letters from "current professional acquaintance or educator." The acquaintance part doesn't mean professors and covers a lot of territory. Any volunteer teaching work, working with elem students, should fill the bill. Plus, get to know a couple of profs in that non-matric program.

I was just going over the application to the program again and it requires that I list three academic references (must be faculty members) Man I really screwed myself over not getting to know my professors during my undergrad. Hopefully I can take some classes relevant to what I want to do in a non matriculated program and include them as references.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 3, 2009, 09:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshine304 View Post
    I was just going over the application to the program again and it requires that I list three academic references (must be faculty members) Man I really screwed myself over not getting to know my professors during my undergrad. Hopefully I can take some classes relevant to what I want to do in a non matriculated program and include them as references.
    Is there a class you did especially well in and the prof would write a letter?
    LuisV714 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2009, 07:06 AM
    In all honesty, just ask any professor that you think may slightly remember you. Not all professors are as strict with these things, you may get lucky and have some give you a recommendation without knowing you very well. Others may be more hesitant, just give it a shot.

I don't know about your university but for me I was required to get two from my major and one from the education department.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Any book recommendation? [ 17 Answers ]

Hey guys anyone knows a good novel that is adventurous, has a touch of mystery, a touch of romance, not too long like over 300 pages, relaxing, suspenseful?

Logon failure on domain - credential issues [ 1 Answers ]

I needed to change the nic card in my backup domain controller. After doing so I had some issues in regards to a qhosted nic card retaining the same settings, after resolving that I replace my nic card. Now I cannot log in? I reinstalled the bad card and can get in, odd? I change the nic again, I...

Letter Of Recommendation [ 4 Answers ]

Hello everyone I just need some help with writing a letter of recommendation. Not what to say about the person but just how to word it how to start it and end it. Hes someone I know so its not like I don't know what to say about the person he's great like a part of the family my 2 year old daughter...

Plumber Recommendation [ 2 Answers ]

Looking for a plumbing expert to fix suck washing machine drainage serious overflowing... any recommendation? Good and reasonable (any indication?)... East Coast... Thanks

View more questions Search