Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andie1234 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2009, 06:46 PM
    Stress is causing hair to fall out!
    For the last little while now, couple of months, my hair has been falling out in considerable amounts.
    I've recently been diagnosed with depression and I am extremely stressed with uni work, normal work, family, friends etc.
    The doctor says I have telogen effluvium from a major stress event months ago (dont know exactly what this was).
    I went to the hair dresser and was mortified as she kept pulling it out even though I told her to be gentle. She also pointed out patches of broken hair right on top of my hair. Most of the hairs that come out are coming out root and all so I know it isn't just hair fall. Im thinking it might be alopecia??

This is really distressing and I was wondering if anyone has had this happen to them, how long it lasted and what they did to stop it?
    plonak Posts: 742, Reputation: 117

May 3, 2009, 09:36 PM

Well the more you worry about it the more the telogen effluvium is going to get worse.. believe me though I know it's easier said than done,

I have been suffering with hair loss for about 4 years and I still don't know the reason why.. I don't lose hair in chunks but I just notice that certain spots have more hair loss than others... it's been a torturous 4 years believe me!

I went to the doctors and they don't know what it is and they don't seem to care.. you however DO know that it's temporary hair loss, which is what T.E is.. you need to stop stressing. if you notice that you're pulling at your hair or feeling for hair loss, stop yourself.. pull your hair back and busy yourself.. get your mind off it..

Please please heed my advice!! You will be OK!
    andie1234 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2009, 09:48 PM
    Im not 100% sure that it is TE. If anyone has had it can you tell me what it was like?
    Of course I don't try to stress - and I can't help but stress about losing my hair. I liked my hair, it was my only good feature and the more I lose the uglier I feel, just how it is.
    Im sorry you've had your problem for 4 years. Im hoping so badly that this will stop soon.
    lighterrr Posts: 1,415, Reputation: 72
    Ultra Member

May 3, 2009, 10:07 PM

Stress caused both sides of my hair to fall out and it has not grown back, someone suggested that I buy women's rogain, instead I just bought a few wigs
    MrScary Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2009, 04:11 PM
    Andie take from 1000-5000 mcgs. Of biotin everyday-its very good for a non genetic problem
    And good if it is- I take the 5000mcg. Capsules daily.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

May 13, 2009, 04:50 PM

No one vitamin is really going to improve what you are attempting. You should take a formula that contains something like this for optimal results
    Folic Acid 800mcg, Biotin 200mcg, Pantothenic Acid 200mg, vitamin E, Zinc 30mg, Manganese 10mg, Choline 1000mg, Inositol 250mg, Para Amino Benzoic Acid (PABA)60mg

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Girlfriend is in love with me. She says its causing stress. [ 5 Answers ]

Well my girlfriend of 6 months is dealing with a lot of stress in her like right now. She says that she doesn't want to let me go, and that she is in love with me. But she also says that she misses me too much, and alweays wants to see me, so she's going to try to get over me. I don't really see...

Dark home hair dye to Light salon dye. Will my hair fall out? [ 4 Answers ]

I have been dying my hair for about 7 years now. I have used both home hair dye kits as well as visits to salons to have my hair done. After having a few bad experiences with certain salons (eg. Colorists dying my skin as well as my hair, bad and wrong coloring... etc... ). Although it has been...

Can permanent hair coloring cause hair to fall out at the roots? [ 1 Answers ]

Can using a permanent hair color cause hair to fall out at the roots?

Hair dye stripping, is my hair going to fall out? [ 2 Answers ]

hey everyone:), just YET another question about stripping dye from hair... just wondering, is it really that bad?? because there's such mixed comments on the topic! ive heard of the wonders...and the disasters! hairs black, wanna go brown with maybe a few highlights... but thats not really...

Is stress causing me this? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I'm having problems at school meaning too much stress and pressure from my parents and this is my first year on college and at first I was doing great but then more and more pressure of my parents I received, I'm a good girl I haven't done anything that I know that is wrong for example sex...

View more questions Search