Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andie1234 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2009, 06:44 PM
    Hair falling out from stress
    For the last little while now, couple of months, my hair has been falling out in considerable amounts.
    I've recently been diagnosed with depression and I am extremely stressed with uni work, normal work, family, friends etc.
    The doctor says I have telogen effluvium from a major stress event months ago (dont know exactly what this was).
    I went to the hair dresser and was mortified as she kept pulling it out even though I told her to be gentle. She also pointed out patches of broken hair right on top of my hair. Most of the hairs that come out are coming out root and all so I know it isn't just hair fall. Im thinking it might be alopecia??

This is really distressing and I was wondering if anyone has had this happen to them, how long it lasted and what they did to stop it?
    plonak Posts: 742, Reputation: 117

May 3, 2009, 09:38 PM

I answered this on your previous post.. there is no need to post your questions twice if they are exactly the same
    KatiePlce Posts: 55, Reputation: 5

May 3, 2009, 10:03 PM

... Same thing that happened to me, my best guess is that you have a ringworm on your scalp. I'm taking anti fungal pills since creams won't really work in your hair. Another way to try and get rid of whatever is growing in your scalp is SELSUN BLUE to help dry it out and the itch.

It may just well be stress but you need to have the doc take a closer look to knock out the ringworm theory because it very well just might be that. A few months before my hair started to fall out I had an itchy ringworm on my neck and didn't know & scratched it & Im assuming I scratched my head and transferred it.

But for awhile I also assumed it was stress until I knew I wasn't THAT damn well stressed and it had to be something else.
    andie1234 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2009, 02:11 AM
    OH GOD!! I really hope not :( Im so sorry that it happened to you too its really horrible!
    Im going to the doctor this week so Ill definitely get her to check it out again.
    My head has been itchy but I'm not sure if that's just me thinking it is or not you know?
    I have had other fungal infections lately - yeast infections on the mouth and oesophagus from antibiotics/the pill.. do you think this could have been the cause?
    Thanks so much for answering!
    KatiePlce Posts: 55, Reputation: 5

May 4, 2009, 04:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by andie1234 View Post
    OH GOD!!! i really hope not :( Im so sorry that it happened to you too its really horrible!
    Im going to the doctor this week so Ill definatly get her to check it out again.
    My head has been itchy but im not sure if thats just me thinking it is or not you know?
    I have had other fungal infections lately - yeast infections on the mouth and oesophagus from antibiotics/the pill.. do you think this could have been the cause?!
    Thanks so much for answering!
    I doubt the yeast infection had anything to do you you getting ringworm that is if it is ringworm but here's alil more info.

"The two infections are caused by two different fungi, and are in no way related. The reason you are suffering from both infections could be related.

Antibiotics use

If you have used antibiotics a lot in the past then your body can now be open to numerous bacterial and fungal infections. Antibiotics kill your body’s natural defenses against these infections, and they also weaken your immune system. Without either of these at the strongest you will suffer from more infections than you should do."

Can Yeast Infections Cause Ringworm at Cure Your Yeast Infection Naturally

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My hair is falling out [ 31 Answers ]

I'm a 22 year old female and my hair is falling out! There is no history of early baldness in my family, and everything else seems normal. I think normally, 50-100 hairs should be falling out, but around 250-300 hairs have been falling out in a day. There are no bald spots, the hairs are coming...

Hair falling at 17? [ 4 Answers ]

Ahh for some reason my hairs falling out, not literally but I found like 20+ hairs on my desk? And I'm wondering why one earth that is? I do pull and fiddle with my hair but not so that it comes straight off. Why is this?

Hair falling out? [ 8 Answers ]

Hey. So for the longest time, when every I shower, brush my hair or even stroke my fingers through it, strands of hair always come out... and when I show.brush my hair that's when the most strands fall out... It worries me because I dotn want to be bald by the time I'm 20 I really don't...

Why is my hair falling out? [ 4 Answers ]

I know that some hair loss is normal but lately I've been finging that I have excessive shedding of my hair. When I run my fingers through my hair it is coming out in small clumps. This happens several times a day and I find my hair all over EVERYTHING. I do not take vitamins at the present time....

Is my relationship falling apart or is it just stress? [ 12 Answers ]

Well I don't even really know where to begin. I should start by letting everyone know first hand that I am bipolar. Plain and simple, I'm on medication for it but it hasn't taken it's full effect yet. I love my boyfriend with all my heart, I really do. We recently got an apartment together...

View more questions Search