Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oni400 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2006, 08:01 PM
    I want a scholarship
    First, I need to get into college. I applied to UMD and PENNState. I have a 3.55 GPA and I am in the top 10% in my grade. In SAT I got a 710(math), 640(crt. Reading) and (680 in writing). What are my chances to get a scholarship. Or do you think I can go to JOhn Hopkins or YAle:(
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2006, 10:36 PM
    All you can do is apply and try.

Also, why JH or Yale? What's your intended major? Many times, if you intend to go on to grad school you can undergrad at a "less prestigious" school, do well, and then do your grad work at a "better" program.

So what is your intended major?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 23, 2006, 05:24 AM
    You have good grades and SATs, but they are not stellar. Yopu shouldn't have too much trouble gaining admission to any school you apply for. But your chances of scholarships decrease greatly as the prestige of the school increases. This is because the competition increases.

There are a lot of resources on the web for scholarship searches. You can also find stats for average GPA and SATs for freshman.

Your choice of college should be more dependent on what you want to study and your career.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 23, 2006, 06:35 AM
    I am doing my undergrad schooling at a Community College and will hopefully get a scholarship to a more prestegious school. Here is how it works.

There is an honor society called Phi Theta Kappa that is only offered to students enrolled in two year colleges and plan to transfer to four year universities for graduate studies.

The scholarship packages they offer are FANTASTIC. I know of several people who got full ride scholarships, one in particular for medicine to University of Tenn at Knoxville, one got a full ride to Texas A&M.

Take a look at this website for info on PTK
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2006, 07:44 AM
    As for JH or yale, you might as well apply.

My daughters gpa was a little higher than yours, and she was top 3% and didn't get into yale (her to take-a-chance-school app), but that means nothing. If all they wanted were 4.0 gpas they could fill the ranks if they wanted it. There's more to getting in there than just gpa and %, though those obviously help.

Again, what is your intended major or general interest of study?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I get a scholarship abroad? [ 2 Answers ]

If your advice is, to look in the internet please give me specific urls. I know that the information is there but I don't have the time to search the web for it, got final exam soon, so I'll be studying most the time :o

How can I get scholarship in the US... please help me [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there!I'm presently taking my law proper right now,my pre-law was AB political science but actually I'm planning to stop for a while, it seems that I am more incline to study abroad, to be particular, I like to study in US. Please help me how can I get some scholarship for post graduate or other...

Hello, I need a scholarship for an eight grader. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, my sister is in eight grade and she will be graduating next year on may. I'm wondering if anyone knows what kind of grants or scholarship there are in Illinois for incomming high school freshmens.

Scholarship [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I'm a portuguese student and I'm finishing my law course. I want to do a master of law in europe but I can't find scholarships to portuguese students. Do you know where can I found information about that? Thanks

View more questions Search