Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mazak Posts: 148, Reputation: 5

May 3, 2009, 05:24 AM
    2003 impala ls
    3.8 v6 automatic,103,000 miles. My wife had the oil changed the other day. And the guy there asked if she wanted the injectors cleaned.this is the regular place she gets it changed at,and has been for sometime. Changes it at 3000 miles.anyhow she said yes to the injector cleaning due to the miles on the car and it had never been done. So after doing the cleaning,same day or maybe the next,the check engine light came on.

Went to autozone and it was a po420 my question is could the injector cleaner have caused this code, as I understand it its either the o2 sensors or the converter itsself, and was wondering if the injector cleaner fouled the sensors,and maybe with time it will burn away from the sensors or the converter. Thanks.

Edit/ forgot to mention that while the guy was cleaning the injectors there was a lot of black smoke coming out of the exaust.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

May 3, 2009, 05:39 AM

The events are likely related. Drive the car, reset the ECM, and see if the light stays off.

May 3, 2009, 05:45 AM

That's what I was thinking as well.was thinking of running a tank of high octane 92 or 93 fuel through it as well. Thanks for the reply.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

May 4, 2009, 08:47 AM

Running a higher octane rating than what your engine is designed for won't correct that code.

In fact, the wrong octane rating can hinder proper performance.

Read this short article: HowStuffWorks "What does octane mean?"

May 4, 2009, 05:24 PM

Thanks CaptainRich.

May 5, 2009, 05:47 PM

Just an update that might help others.light went off by its self last night. And after driving all day has not come back on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2000 Impala LS [ 5 Answers ]

How high is the temperature gauge supposed to rise on a 2000 Impala LS 3.8 when fully warmed? Would a stuck TCC cause a car to overheat?

Impala Overheating [ 1 Answers ]

Something strange has been going on with my 2000 Impala:confused: The temperature gauge has been showing that my car is running very hot in the red area. My Low coolant Light has been coming on even though it's the proper amount of coolant. There is no smoking, boiling, heat or any other sign on...

01 Impala Troubles [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 01 Impala Auto, and we put a brand new trasmisssion in it a little less then 2 years ago, and its starting to shake and mess up when shifting up... I highly doubt it's the transmission, so what else could it be?

View more questions Search