Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cjd2404 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2009, 06:00 PM
    Broken outlet. Hot and ground give power
    Hi all.

A month or so back I replaced an outlet in the kitchen with a GCFI outlet. This outlet apparently is the only thing on the circuit. Through this process I visually traced the wire through the basement and it seems to go from the outlet, down the wall, and into the breaker, no junction boxes at all. This is an older house (1980) and I moved in late last year, I am moving room to room swapping out plugs/switches.

A week or so ago my vacuum cleaner popped the outlet and I was unable to reset it. I figured the outlet was bad. So today, I decide to fix the outlet. When I took the outlet out and used my tester to test the wires, now when I touch black and white nothing happens. However when I touch black and ground my tester lights up.

When I put switched the outlet out last month, it lit up with a black/white combo, and I never had trouble with it until it popped.

Any Ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have obviously turned off the breaker, I just down know what to do.
    TristaNicholle Posts: 75, Reputation: 9

May 2, 2009, 06:21 PM

You're sure that there are no junction boxes or other outlets on the circuit?. It may be that the neutral wire is not wired up in the box, just the power and ground wires.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 2, 2009, 06:47 PM

If you are comfortable opening you circuit panel, turn off main breaker, remove the cover and trace the neutral (white) of that circuit to the place where it is connected to the neutral/ground buss. Make sure that the neutral wire has a good connection. Are you certain that there is nothing else on that circuit?
    cjd2404 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2009, 12:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    If you are comfortable opening you circuit panel, turn off main breaker, remove the cover and trace the neutral (white) of that circuit to the place where it is connected to the neutral/ground buss. Make sure that the neutral wire has a good connection. Are you certain that there is nothing else on that circuit?
    Not 100% comfortable opening the panel. Yes I am fairly certain it is on its own circuit. From what I can guess it probably was for a microwave or other such appliance that was on the counter.
    ohb0b Posts: 215, Reputation: 14

May 3, 2009, 09:52 PM
    If you have 120 volts between Hot and Ground, but 0 volts between hot and neutral, than the neutral wire is broken.

I'd venture to say it is a wire nut inside the box. The shock (physical shock, not electrical) and heat of the vacuum tripping the circuit could have caused a wire to work loose.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ground fault outlet [ 2 Answers ]

If you have a ground fault outlet installed, will that protect the rest of The outlets under the same circuit??

Wire Motor for 220 outlet Power from 110 power [ 1 Answers ]

I need to wire this sander for 220 power and do not understand the diagram well enough. Currently I believe it is wired for 110 shown in picture. Please advise about correct wiring for 220. Thank you 2 attachments

How to ground a GFI outlet? [ 5 Answers ]

Here in OH, the label on GFI "NOT GROUNDED" is no longer acceptable. There are only Hot and neutral lines in the box. The box is not grounded. What options do I have? If I have to run a new ground wire to the breaker box that is 60 amp. Is the new wire attached to the neutral bar in the box? ...

How can I ground an outlet? [ 7 Answers ]

We just rented a house (built in the 70s I believe) and as we were moving in we noticed there are no 3-prong outlets in the living room, there is one in each bedroom though and 2 in the laundry room. We had planned to put our computer in there and we really need the outlets to be grounded. We had...

Electrical Outlet - No Ground [ 3 Answers ]

Got back from vacation and refrigerator was out. When testing the outlets it reads "No Ground". Replaced the GFI outlet and still reading "No Ground". The breaker never tripped. All wires on the outlets to that circuit are secure. What could be the problem?

View more questions Search